Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Old 2015-04-15, 11:57am
Angie09

Default Can someone help with torch question ...

Hi .. I currently have a Scorpion and I do love it. I want to add another torch and presently have a Minor (not wild about it) and a Cricket. I'm thinking of selling those 2 and adding a Bravo ... any info or comparison would be greatly appreciated. I use a Regalia concentrator with an additional EX-20 and melt 90, 96 and 104. Is the Bravo a good addition? Thanks!!
Old 2015-04-15, 12:00pm
I fart diamonds

If you have the Scorpion, skip the Bravo. They're about the same size and the Bravo doesn't perform nearly as well on concentrators as the Scorpion. Are you looking for a bigger torch? or just an additional? What's your goal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-04-15, 12:05pm
I fart diamonds

If you want a bigger torch that will perform well on concentrators, The Sidewinder would be a better buy than the Bravo. I've had both. The Bravo has a really nice centerfire, (the Alpha), but the outer flame is weak. It's performance is definitely NOT what you would expect from a $975 torch.

Old 2015-04-15, 12:11pm
Angie09

Oh good to know Shawnette ... I just thought that maybe a bushier flame for stringer work.
Old 2015-04-15, 12:25pm
da General

Angie - this really depends on what type of work you do and how much you will be using both the inner and the outer flames of your Bravo. If you use the inner flame most of the time (as with most soft glass lampworkers), then I'd say a Bravo will be a great addition to your Scorpion. The inner flame - the Alpha - produces a hotter flame than the Cricket (inner flame of the Scorpion). As Shawnette mentioned, the Sidewinder with both flames is in fact a bigger torch than the Bravo, but its inner flame is a Bobcat which is pretty much like your Cricket/Scorpion. And yes, the bushier flame of the Alpha is great for stringer work and the less thrusting heat of the Bethlehem is also better for encasing silver glass (if you use silver glass).

Just my two cents, for what they are worth!

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-04-15, 12:38pm
Angie09

Thanks Shawnette and Hayley ... I was looking for a bushier flame and maybe one that miraculously makes silver glass behave. .... maybe?
Old 2015-04-15, 1:15pm
I fart diamonds

I'd just get the Alpha. It's $200.

Old 2015-04-15, 1:19pm
Angie09

How does the Alpha compare to the minor? I feel like I should LOVE my minor like everyone else does ... but I just don't.
Old 2015-04-15, 1:25pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
How does the Alpha compare to the minor? I feel like I should LOVE my minor like everyone else does ... but I just don't.
Lol! I hate the Minor, too. Love the Alpha. I am a GTT groupie, for real, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy (or recommend) an Alpha. It's a nice little torch. Hotter than the Cricket, but not as hot as the Bobcat. It works really well on concentrators. To me, it's the only redeeming feature of the Bravo. They really missed the mark on that one.

Now, if you can get your hands on a Barracuda for a good price, that's also a nice torch. I wouldn't pay more than $600 for one, though, considering they were only $650 brand new.

Old 2015-04-15, 1:27pm
Angie09

What's so good about a Barracuda? I didn't think it worked well on a concentrator???
Old 2015-04-15, 1:37pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
What's so good about a Barracuda? I didn't think it worked well on a concentrator???

It will give you the flame chemistry you're looking for. It's not the best on concentrators, either, but it works equally as well as the Bravo for significantly less $$.

Again, personally, I would just get the Alpha and call it a day. I just threw the Barracuda out there in case you really wanted another mid-size torch. The Bravo is about $300 overpriced. For the exact same price, you can get the Sidewinder, which is significantly more versatile. I really had high hopes when I got my Bravo and was so ridiculously disappointed. (Sold it and bought a Sidewinder.)

Old 2015-04-15, 2:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Lol! I hate the Minor, too. Love the Alpha. I am a GTT groupie, for real, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy (or recommend) an Alpha. It's a nice little torch. Hotter than the Cricket, but not as hot as the Bobcat. It works really well on concentrators. To me, it's the only redeeming feature of the Bravo. They really missed the mark on that one.

Now, if you can get your hands on a Barracuda for a good price, that's also a nice torch. I wouldn't pay more than $600 for one, though, considering they were only $650 brand new.
Good advice there. I am a diehard GTTer for what I do which is mostly large solid Boro work.
Old 2015-04-15, 2:26pm
Angie09

Thank you Shawnette .... you're always such a wealth of information! Much appreciated!!
Old 2015-04-15, 3:04pm
Angie09

How does the Alpha stack up against a Mini CC?
Old 2015-04-15, 3:16pm
I fart diamonds

They're somewhat comparable but the MiniCC has a bushier flame. My first oxy-fuel torch was a MiniCC. (Yes, I am an admitted torch whore.)

Old 2015-04-15, 3:19pm
Angie09

I forgot .... I have a Mini CC not a Minor! Would you choose the Alpha over the Mini?
Old 2015-04-15, 3:30pm
I fart diamonds

Not if a bushy flame is what you want. I don't particularly like a bushy flame, so for me, yes. I would go for the Alpha. It's on my list of favorite small torches.

What is it you don't like about the MiniCC? I got rid of mine because the knobs got hot as hell, but I heard they've since fixed that issue. I had one of the first ones made, when they came out in 2005.

Old 2015-04-15, 3:32pm
Angie09

I'm looking for a bushier flame than the Scorpion but not as much as the Mini. One that makes silver glass sing. Would I use both concentrators on the Alpha?
Old 2015-04-15, 3:42pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
I'm looking for a bushier flame than the Scorpion but not as much as the Mini. One that makes silver glass sing. Would I use both concentrators on the Alpha?
It really depends on what you're doing. You won't always need both because the Alpha performs well on a single concentrator. (It's not the torch, but the technique, btw. As long as you have ample oxygen, the torch won't matter.)

Old 2015-04-15, 3:53pm
da General

Quote:
The Alpha fits the bill then for it has a bushier flame than the Cricket (inner of the Scorpion) and not as bushy as the Mini CC. AND it's better for encasing silver glass for its heat isn't as thrusting/penetrating as the GTTs. It performs beautifully on oxycons but needs more than just one 5 LPM if you want to make (reducing) silver glass sing for purity of oxygen will help.

I agree that if you want a two-ring torch, look for a Barracuda - that's the torch I use ... and love! It does need more oxycons for both rings tho (I have it hooked up with a Regalia and EX-15 and add another M-15 when I know I will be using both rings a lot).

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-04-15, 4:08pm
Angie09

It does sound like the Alpha might be perfect. Any idea what a VERY lightly used Mini CC goes for these days?

And thank you everyone for all the info ...
Old 2015-04-19, 7:25pm
I fart diamonds

There's a Barracuda for sale in the GS. $600.