No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-03-02, 6:24am
I poop flowers.

Default A few questions about torch setup

I am soon planning on upgrading from a Hot Head to something larger, most likely a minor. I just picked up a used oxycon for a VERY good price, with the understanding that it is getting somewhat "tired" and won`t power any kind of large torch, or do boro or large beads. That`s ok with me, I don`t do that kind of stuff yet anyway. My question is, how do I know what size hoses to order for it, does it depend on what torch I buy? Like I said, it will most likely be a minor. Also, do I need a flashback arrestor for an oxycon? What about a regulator for the oxycon? I don`t think I need those, but wanted to make sure.

And if I decide to get this machine refurbished somewhere down the line, what kind of businesses do this kind of work, and is it really worth it? (I only paid $50.00 for the oxycon!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Velvet

"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." ---Charles Dickens
Old 2008-03-02, 10:42am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlamodie View Post
I am soon planning on upgrading from a Hot Head to something larger, most likely a minor. I just picked up a used oxycon for a VERY good price, with the understanding that it is getting somewhat "tired" and won`t power any kind of large torch, or do boro or large beads. That`s ok with me, I don`t do that kind of stuff yet anyway. My question is, how do I know what size hoses to order for it, does it depend on what torch I buy? Like I said, it will most likely be a minor. Also, do I need a flashback arrestor for an oxycon? What about a regulator for the oxycon? I don`t think I need those, but wanted to make sure.

And if I decide to get this machine refurbished somewhere down the line, what kind of businesses do this kind of work, and is it really worth it? (I only paid $50.00 for the oxycon!)
The most popular size hose most glass people use for small to mid size torched is 1/4 inch welding "twin hose" (red and green hoses bonded together)... Usually has "B" size connectors on both ends...

You do not need a regulator for a oxycon as it has its own internal pressure regulator (non adjustable) and a external volume regulator you can adjust

Some hoses can be purchases with "B" connectors on one end and no connectors on other end.

Also "twin hose" can be separated by removing or sliding brass retainer down and gently pulling hoses apart...

There is also "single hoses" with "B" style connector on both ends with left-hand threads for use with propane or natural gas connection.

Oxygen hose from oxycon may be either welding hose or something as simple as vinyl tubing from local hardware store........

Many options.... Some will be determined by type of fuel source and type of connectors on torch you decide to purchase...

Conventional thinking is you do not need a flash back arrestor with a surface mix torch, so if oxycon is powering a surface mix torch the answer is no...... HOWEVER, if it makes you feel safer, there is no harm in putting one on oxycon.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-03-02 at 10:47am.
Old 2008-03-03, 4:38am
I poop flowers.

Thanks, Dale, I figured you`d have the info I needed!

Velvet

"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." ---Charles Dickens