LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-03, 11:48pm

When I took beginning classes, it was all about how you could manage the mandrel so your glass didn't look wonky in the finished bead....

But, my intermeidate teacher - Margaret Zinser - taught me that it's best to rotate the glass always in one direction - (personal preference on towards or away from your body). She explained rotation in one direction (rather than back and forth rocking) helps to keep longer beads even in size on the ends and reduces time to shape the bead to correct lop-sided situations. She taught the same techique for marvering - move in 1 direction. I found that as soon as I started using that technique, my bead shape greatly improved and I don't have issues with lop-sidedness on longer beads any more. Great teacher, that Margaret!
Old 2012-03-04, 12:01am
Entropy increasing....

I do whatever the bead tells me to do.
Old 2012-03-09, 3:40pm
Forms in Glass

Why the mandate on rotating the mandrel? It is mandrel wound beads dont you know. When working on the axel I can think of only two or three reasons to turn. One is to apply glass. In this case it is inconsequential weather one rotates all in one direction or rotates back and forth. I have found when putting on the glass to the mandrel I prefer to spin away from myself. It is easier to see when I melt off the trail. Of course my fingers do occasionally run out of rotation. In that case I simply double back. I then double back again to burn off the trail. I show my students this and give my reasoning for rotating away but I do not force the student to turn in the direction I do. Some people just naturally have to rotate toward themselves and they manage to make fine doughnuts indeed. I just insist they do not wind the glass on when there fingers run out of rotation with the hand holding the glass as though they were reeling in a fish. The same thing goes for applying dots,stringers, and the like. It does not matter which way you rotate just go with what feels right for you. The second reason one twirls the mandrel is to put heat into the glass. Most of the time I am looking for an even heat. Rarely do I need to spot heat. When rotating the mandrel in one direction only it is more difficult to get an even heat. I have noticed most of the time the end of the rotation is always on the same spot of the bead.The glass pauses for a second this causes this spot to become over heated bright and gooy, the other side is cold like the dark side of the moon. Even when the entire bead is viscous this pausing is the cause of much consternation as gravity is having its way with the goo. By turning at least 360 degrees then reversing direction in whirling the mandrel one can facilitate a more even flow of the glass. Thirdly is tooling, when spinning the glass on a graphite paddle to shape the bead I found it does not matter the direction one turns or if you go back and forth. What is important is that you do complete revolutions. Rocking back and forth not going at least 360 degrees will push the glass and you will have a thick side to your bead and a side where the mandrel is close to the surface.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Etsy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-30, 9:33pm
Forms in Glass

Furnace workers have sensuous elbows. Sitting at the gaffers bench you roll the blowpipe forward and back. Your left hand the moter your right hand working in tandom with the left to shape and form the glass.

My Etsy

Old 2012-03-31, 11:33pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

I have a real problem with trying a "new" way after I am taught a certain way. My brain cannot switch gears and relearn something. I always roll in one direction and that is away from me. When I am using a beadroller, I roll towards me. I have tried to consciously make myself do it another way and I can't. I am like this in a lot if areas in my life. Once I do something a certain way, it's like that all the time.

If you ever meet me in real life, introduce yourself to me with the name you want me to call you forever. Once I see your face and hear a name, you will forever be THAT name. *sigh* I wish I could be more flexible.