Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2009-08-27, 10:34am
I'm meeeeelting

Awesome!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-08-27, 3:15pm
Bitten by the travel bug

Congrats veda!

I am not stressed about the demo, but you are all worrying me talking about 'planning' it. I have made a heap of masked dot beads in the last few weeks, for trade/gifts, just to get back in the groove, but I cannot plan what I make at the torch - it always just happens in the moment. I have no idea what I'll make on the day

Old 2009-08-27, 3:54pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzFromOz View Post
Congrats veda!

I am not stressed about the demo, but you are all worrying me talking about 'planning' it. I have made a heap of masked dot beads in the last few weeks, for trade/gifts, just to get back in the groove, but I cannot plan what I make at the torch - it always just happens in the moment. I have no idea what I'll make on the day
Make a masked dot bead.
I'd love to see that.
Mine always look smudgy.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-08-27, 5:15pm
I'm meeeeelting

I second that. I love me some masked dot beads. I thought about doing one for my demo, but they take me a long time to do. I r slow.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2009-08-27 at 6:11pm.
Old 2009-08-27, 6:28pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Wooohooo Veda, was great talking with you today!
Felicia, I third that.....ALL the demos are great (and over quick, yay!)

smiling.........

Old 2009-08-28, 9:31am

Bring warm clothes We are in SouthBeach this week and it is beautiful but definitely chilly mornings. 49 this morning according to the motor home thermometer. Do you have any idea how awful it is to be sooooooo close and yet so far. We had not planned a trip here but just meandered out of Colorado last week and ended up here. Stopped by a gallery yesterday and there was Debs work displayed! Oh how I wish I was going to GS. Have a ball everyone. Leslie or anyone else - if there is anything I can ferry back to Colorado for you I will be here till the 7th. 720 810 7597

Last evenings foggy sunset.
Attached Images

Last edited by Canyon Echoes; 2009-08-28 at 9:50am.
Old 2009-08-28, 10:45am
Critter Mom

Suz a masked dot bead sounds perfect for demo, I don't even know what one is so it'd be all new to me. I'm still deciding what kinda critter bead to demo. After not getting to torch for 6 weeks it's taking me some time to get back into the swing of it. I'm gonna try to get as many "trade" beads made as I can between now and Monday evening.

Old 2009-08-28, 9:36pm
He can do the origami

The weather is supposed to be cooler this week and one of the days we may have a little sprinkle or two. Bring warm dry clothes.

Otter
Old 2009-08-29, 12:07am
Bitten by the travel bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Make a masked dot bead.
I'd love to see that.
Mine always look smudgy.
oh, misunderstanding. I am demo-ing a masked dot bead, but its sounds as if some people know exactly what they will make - ie the specific design. I will just go with the flow as far as that is concerned.

Old 2009-08-29, 2:05am
He can do the origami

I think I am going to demo how to heckle Karen Hardy as she is doing her demo.

Otter
Old 2009-08-29, 9:29am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
I think I am going to demo how to heckle Karen Hardy as she is doing her demo.

Otter

I'm going to hold the puppy up and rub her tummy on your head while YOU
are demoing.

Old 2009-08-29, 9:56am

You two are too funny.
Joan
Old 2009-08-29, 10:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda's Beads View Post
I'm Going! I"M GOING!!! I'm so excited - I've been jumping up and down and squealing all morning!! Better get my but to the torch and start making some trade beads! WOOHOO!!
Yay! It's gonna be great to have someone to drive with!

Old 2009-08-29, 10:48am
Master Procrastinator

Good! Everyone go watch Karen & Otter so that us newbies can be left to play without anyone looking.

Quote:

I'm going to hold the puppy up and rub her tummy on your head while YOU
are demoing.

Old 2009-08-29, 10:51am
Always with a smile!

I always bring layers to wear and shed, make sure you bring some type of bag to move your stuff from torch area to another torch area. Don't leave you purse lying around either, keep it near you.

I'm coming in late Monday. I'm at the Holiday Inn Express. Anyone else coming in early?

) and
)
Old 2009-08-29, 11:50am
He can do the origami

Karen......Bring on the puppeh!!!

Otter
Old 2009-08-29, 12:28pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Good! Everyone go watch Karen & Otter so that us newbies can be left to play without anyone looking.
You really have no idea how this thread is cracking me (and most likely
Otter) up. The fact that he was absolutely pooping bricks and so terrified
about his demo - and now he is making FUN of doing it...that should show
you how just plain easy it is. I was terrified too. Now it's pretty much the last
thing on our minds - right after "buy some granola bars for snacks between
classes" and "don't forget to pack my toothbrush".

You all are going to do just fine .

Old 2009-08-29, 12:30pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
Karen......Bring on the puppeh!!!

Otter
Puppeh Tummy!

Name:  puppy pic.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  60.0 KB

Old 2009-08-29, 2:48pm
Master Procrastinator

Question about the auctions. I'd love to bring some thing (s) to donate, but is it just glass related stuff that people bring? I ask cause I work with seed beads too & was wondering if it's OK to donate a finished necklace or bracelet?

Old 2009-08-29, 3:28pm
I'm meeeeelting

Ooh. Do it!

Are we supposed to bring mandrels or are they provided?

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2009-08-29, 3:38pm
Critter Mom

Quote:
Puppeh Tummy!

Attachment 85230
Oh I want one !

Old 2009-08-29, 3:38pm
Always with a smile!

mandrels are provided, you will have stickers so you know what stuff is yours!
I would think that anything for the auction is fine, that's my opinion based on the past few years!

) and
)
Old 2009-08-29, 3:51pm
I'm meeeeelting

Thanks, Jill.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2009-08-29, 5:52pm

I already sent something (didn't want to have to bring it on the plane) and it has nothing to do with glass, and Deb said it was fine.

Getting so excited. Jill, we're staying at the new Holiday Inn but won't get there until late on Wed. Our plane doesn't even get to Portland until 5 pm. Work told me I couldn't have off any extra days - and then they gave them to me after all - darn we could have come a day early and played.

Old 2009-08-29, 7:13pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Question about the auctions. I'd love to bring some thing (s) to donate, but is it just glass related stuff that people bring? I ask cause I work with seed beads too & was wondering if it's OK to donate a finished necklace or bracelet?
Yes! Yes! Yes! Wearable jewelry is GREAT!

The WHOLE point of the auction is to raise money for GS. It goes towards
a whole slew of awesome things, like hardship spots, new equipment, and
other goodies.

Donate things that people will want to bid on.
Here are some things people have donated in the past:

The obvious:
Glass
fancy mandrels
kilns
beads
pendants

The not so obvious:
gift certificates
a free week at a condo for GS next year
body lotions/gift basket

So you can see - it's not limited to glass. If you are a jewelry maker,
you could go through your supplies and put together a jewelry making
"basket" of goodies. If you make candles or lotions on the side, you can
do a basket of those. If you know someone who can get you discounts
for gift certificates, you can buy one or more of those (glassworkers keep
Starbucks in the $$$). The person who donated the condo - I think that they
had a timeshare and offered it. Again - the idea is to donate something that
will help bring in the bucks.

Glass Stock is one of THE most cost efficient events I attend. You CANNOT
(repeat) CANNOT attend ANY event and take SIX classes with world class talent
(do you guys KNOW who Bandhu Dunham is? When they say "he wrote the book
on glass" they LITERALLY mean that. The boy WROTE THE BOOK (volumes I AND II !!!)
ON GLASS). All for under $500. I pay $500 for ONE frigging class!!!!

So...hope that helps. Give what you can to help keep this event cost
effective! If you have any questions AT ALL, Please feel free to PM me
or Otter or Patty or pretty much anyone else that has attended and just
ask us "I want to donate (widget), is this ok?" We will all be SO glad to help you out.

It is what we live for

Old 2009-08-29, 11:47pm
He can do the origami

Like Karen said, the demo is such a non item..... I was beyond terrified, I really was physically ill and ready to leave the first year.... it turned out that the demo is THE best thing that can happen at the beginning of GS. It turns out it is a lot of fun, there is NO need at all to stress about it.

For those of you that are nervous, please try and put that aside and just enjoy it. You will be welcomed, you will be appreciated, you will be encouraged period... you will NOT be snubbed, you will NOT be demeaned you will NOT be made to feel inferior in ANY way. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE enjoy the demo from the very start. WE ALL HAVE FUN!!!

Otter

(edited to add And if it takes Karen rubbing a puppy tummy on my head to break the ice.... I'm willing to take that one for the team
Old 2009-08-30, 12:55am
I'm meeeeelting

Hmmm. I think I see the plot now. Puppies are good diversion tactics. Everyone will be so busy fawning over the puppy that they won't have a clue what you just demonstrated.

Also? I'm looking at your ticker. Only 4 more days!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2009-08-30, 2:20am
He can do the origami

4 more days and there will be torches everywhere.... glass melting everywhere.... a puppy or two thrown into the mix for good measure a lot of laughter and fun!! Can't wait to see my old friends, can't wait to see my young friends I have known for several years and can't wait to meet new friends... young and old

Oh Karen.... don't get all sensitive or anything.... I am not saying you are one of the OLD friends.... you are my friend, we have known each other for a few years now..... I'm just saying is all!

Otter
Old 2009-08-30, 11:06am
Master Procrastinator

Cool Karen! I feel so fortunate to be going that I'd love to be able to contribute something to the auction!

Old 2009-08-30, 11:10am
Angel's Mom

I hope someone brings layers of clothing for that puppy. He's not going to get much warmth being rubbed on the hair (or lack of hair) on Otter's shiny head.