No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-08-12, 3:12pm
High Maintenance

Default cleaning bead holes

Do any of you use an ultrasonic cleaner to remove bead release? Does it work? I hate reaming them so was wondering if there was an easier way.

Heather
Old 2005-08-12, 5:28pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Did anyone buy the LONG diamond bit for a dremmel at The Gathering - it was demoe at Arrow Springs booth - struck me as a potential and am now wishing I had bought it and saved the postage - if you have one, how is it working out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-12, 6:22pm
sunscreen me baby

One word - Dremell. No two words - cordless dremel (or dremel substitute) It doesn't take all the pain away but it sure is much faster than the reaming process.
The problem with an ultrasonic (and yes I have tried it) is that with transparants you still need to ream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Old 2005-08-12, 6:40pm
CA Queen Bitch

Hi QZ!!!!
Does an ultrasonic completely eliminate using a dremel or reamer on most beads?
~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-08-13, 4:10am
sunscreen me baby

Yes I thought so. But.... mine is a small one and I could only fit about 5 or 6 beads and have it work successfully. I found it didn't really save me any time since I could dremel those same beads in less time.
Now if you got a big sucker ... I wonder how much that would cost.

~

Old 2005-08-13, 3:35pm
It's time to sparkle

Cordless dremel witht he bead in the water all the way. Rio Grande has the long diamond bits. It's so simple that way, it's stupid.

Old 2005-08-13, 4:03pm
Lord Of The Hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody Fire Beads
Hi QZ!!!!
Does an ultrasonic completely eliminate using a dremel or reamer on most beads?
~Suzy~
If it's got enough ooommmphh...
The small hobby thingies usually don't have enough power.
The commercial ones starting with at least 100W power might do the job.
Personally I would prefer even 200W and more.

You would also want to use the right solutions/solvents with those.
Usually there is some powder or liquid concentrate like that for the washing machine.
NO, NOT the real washing machine powder.
Wow, that could be a mess, hi, hi.

And the right insets or suspension devices to keep the beads in place.
Usually coming with the device...

It's not cheap, but once you have it it's almost forever.

AsKoru Beads
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win!"

www.askorubeads.com
Old 2005-08-13, 8:47pm
sunscreen me baby

I tried mine with just vinegar and water. I have a professional one I got years ago when I worked in a jewelry store. It worked well. BTW, I just checked ebay and you can get a bigger professional machine for a decent price. You've got me thinking.....

~

Old 2005-08-13, 9:05pm
CA Queen Bitch

Thanks Rud and QZ! I must have 1200 beads that need to be cleaned and it kills my back to stand at the sink & do it!! Thanks everyone!!!!
By the way, funny story..... I got the new dremel with 38,000 rpm (I think that is right), & cleaned some beads with it on high. I was really diggin this, kept telling Hubby wow! This is sooooooo fast and I can get every speck of that shit of these!! Well it made the holes all huge and wonky!! I use it on 2 now instead of 10. it's a power house! doh.......

~Suzy~

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-08-14, 6:08am
sunscreen me baby

Hey Suzy I just won a bigger one for $49. I'll let you know how it works when I try it. Here is one like it from the same seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PcY_BID_Stores

~

Old 2005-08-15, 12:33am

Talking

I use a cordless dremel with the diamond bit in water...works great

Old 2005-08-15, 12:53am
I'm a lilac!

A tip for those who Dremel; if you do a LOT of beads in a sitting, it can be really hard on your wrist and shoulders to use a cordless, as they're fairly heavy. Consider instead a flex-shaft, which is nice and lightweight but also without the risk of electrical shock, providing you keep the base higher than the water of course! (I hang mine on a hook by the sink.)

I'm still seriously considering an ultrasonic, though.

Old 2005-08-15, 3:17am

I use a cordless dremel.

Someone posted awhile ago about vinegar.(Thank You so much) So I soak mine for a bit in vinegar and water. And it really makes the release come off fast.

Old 2005-08-15, 11:16am
CA Queen Bitch

Does anyone know which one I should buy?? The real professional $375.00 model, or the 49.99? Hubby said I can get one! Yippee!!!! Any brand names??? And one more time so I am really clear on this..... Do you have to ream them at all after using an ultrasonic? Does it get it all out? I am a nut about clean bead holes.

~Suzy~

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-08-15, 11:55am
sunscreen me baby

Mine is on it's way. I'll let you know. I'm thinking the ultrasonic and then the dishwasher ought to do the trick. Imagine not reaming out non-transparant beads........ It was worth $50 just to try it.

~

Old 2005-08-31, 4:10am

Hey Suzy ... inquiring minds want to know ... did your $50 one work?

"Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. That's why there's us. -- Champions --
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference.
We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." -- Words of Truth from Angel