LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-14, 7:04am
Lampworkaholic!

Default Question: Can one use goldstone with Bullseye?

I've been pulling goldstone stringer with Bullseye and it seems to be playing nice but I began to wonder if there will be any surprises later?

Does anyone know about Bullseye and goldstone compatibility?

Thanks!

Liz
Old 2008-07-14, 9:10am
novembersfyre everywhere

It should work as long as you are pulling your own using BE compatible glass.
It might depend on your goldstone, however. I've been using Kugler goldstone which is 96 COE. I've been pulling cane with it and using it with 104 COE glass. I don't have problems at all with it. I still need to try it with BE.

I think it will be OK with BE because the COE is fairly close - closer than it is with Effetre/Moretti.

Now, if you are using goldstone of unknown COE problems might occur - but then again they might not. I have a huge chunk of goldstone I purchased from Frantz a long time ago but I have no idea what the COE is. I don't think they know either. But I have pulled stringers and used it with 104 successfully. I probably wouldn't try it with BE because Frantz's product line is oriented towards COE 104 glass. I'd stick to the Kugler for BE.

But, on the other hand when you pull a goldstone stringer you are using a rather large amount of compatible clear so that probably offsets any problems that might occur.

It sounds like you are having success. I do need to give this a try as I have some designs that rely on goldstone and I'd like to try them in BE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-14, 11:02am
Button Queen

I was wondering the same thing. I was given a couple of small pieces of green and blue goldstone and was wondering if I could use them with my Bullseye. I have NO clue where they came from originally, or what COE they might be.
Old 2008-07-14, 12:05pm
Where's the coffee?

I have no idea what the coe of the goldstone slabs I have sitting in the studio are, but I use them encased in Schott clear (90coe) with no problems. I then use the stringer on my Bullseye with no cracking problems whatsoever.

Old 2008-07-14, 12:28pm

Early on, I had read that goldstone would be ok as long as it was encased with your own clear (90 coe in my case). I got goldstone chunks from Howaco. Every bead but one that I made with this cracked. I don't know if the goldstone chunks were COE 96 though. And I've been too lazy to order any.

I know in last month's BE odd thread that we were REALLY asking for a BE goldstone/aventurine... and Greg indicated they would try to get this on their schedule.

So no success stories here. I've tabled the exploration at this time.
Old 2008-07-14, 5:11pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I had similar trouble to Lynda when I tried using some chunk I bought in a bulk buy and gave up.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.