No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-22, 3:12pm
Flame On!

Smile "Tip" for Etsy Sellers

Download a copy of your CSV file on a regular basis. Your shop doesn't really belong to you, it belongs to Etsy. They can shut it down with the click of a mouse and all that will be left for YOU and the public is an "OOPS Stitch Gone Awry" page. By keeping a copy of your files on your own computer, you will have a copy of everything, titles, descriptions, prices and the lead photo saved to recover. Just consider how much work that could save you!!!!!!! It's very easy to do, it will take you less than 2 minutes. Go to the top of the screen on Etsy and click on "your shop". On the left side of the next page under "Shop Settings" Click on "Options" From there click on "Download Data". Poof, all of your work is saved, and cannot be erased by Etsy Admin. Needless to say, there are many other reasons to do this, it's just good business management! It also makes it extremely easy to sell on other venues because you have all of your info saved and ready to load.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-22, 3:15pm

Great Advice, thank you!! Done, easy as pie! Just like backing up your computer and changing the batteries in your smoke detectors.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-02-22, 3:29pm
N2Beadz

Excellent advice and ThAnK YoU for passing it along.

Old 2013-02-22, 6:13pm
put a bird on it

Wow, I didn't know you got all that in the .csv file. Thanks for sharing - this is a really good idea!
Old 2013-02-22, 6:25pm
Borovangelist

It's sad it's gotten to the point that Etsy's considered that adversarial.

|
|
Old 2013-02-23, 5:59am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Holy cow! There's also an option to download all your sale information! Thanks so much for posting this!

L-111

Old 2013-02-23, 7:40am
Formerly FishBulb

Hey, I've been wondering how to download the CSV files! Thank you so much for sharing this information!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2013-02-23, 9:30am
Mr Brutus RIP

Mine saved in an excel program and was just all words.........is that right?
I really know nothing about computers that way. Is there some place else it should have saved to see pictures? Did I do it wrong?
thanks
sue

Old 2013-02-23, 9:51am
critter creator

How often does Etsy shut down stores?

I've only heard about this happening to pipers, and never even considered the possibility.

I'm curious if anyone on here has had their shop shut down for anything other than selling "banned" items such as pipes?
Old 2013-02-23, 2:24pm
Flame On!

Really, it's not so much about Etsy being controversial, or shutting down a bunch of shops, it's about OWNING what you've put a lot of work into. It applies to Art Fire, Bonanza, etc. Also, to "pop-up" websites like Go-Daddy, Wix, Homestead, etc. You should ALWAYS have a copy of YOUR stuff on YOUR computer. Unless you are your own "web-master", and have a site published on your own address, another entity actually has control over your material. Regardless, you should have a back-up, it's a free insurance plan and if you ever need it, you'll wish you had it! I used Etsy as an example because I am familiar with the site and can explain how to get your files, but this applies to any site your on.

Old 2013-02-23, 8:42pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Master View Post
How often does Etsy shut down stores?

I've only heard about this happening to pipers, and never even considered the possibility.

I'm curious if anyone on here has had their shop shut down for anything other than selling "banned" items such as pipes?
Apparently if you put even a hint of 'Pandora" or anything like it in your store you are in danger of being shut down. Also if someone says they own a copyright to something and complains to Etsy you can be shut down even if what you make bears little resemblance to the copyrighted item.

Etsy doesn't care, they will always take the 'better safe than sorry' way, and would rather shut a shop down than actually investigate whether there is merit in the complaint.

Old 2013-02-23, 9:28pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Apparently if you put even a hint of 'Pandora" or anything like it in your store you are in danger of being shut down. Also if someone says they own a copyright to something and complains to Etsy you can be shut down even if what you make bears little resemblance to the copyrighted item.

Etsy doesn't care, they will always take the 'better safe than sorry' way, and would rather shut a shop down than actually investigate whether there is merit in the complaint.
If you misuse the Terms of Use, you will get a warning. The second offense, they can close your shop. I think Etsy does care, they just don't want to be sued and I don't blame them.

Old 2013-02-24, 5:06am

That is so helpful. I never thought about saving it and I didn't know there was a way to do it.
Old 2013-02-24, 6:19am
formerly Marella

That is a great idea...thanks, just made a new folder and downloaded the CSV file into it.

I used to do it when I had an ArtFire shop as I would copy the listings across using the CSV file, but I haven't done it since I closed the ArtFire shop.

~
~
~
Old 2013-02-24, 12:56pm
Pincel de Fuego

It's funny to me that Pandora is so protective of their name, and they sell the plainest glass beads ever... But I get it.

/
/