Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-09, 3:44pm

Default Accident

I posted this in the Jewelry forum, apologies if you have already seen this. We are trying to find a bench vise that would hold wire. I feel, broke my left wrist and had to have hardware put in. I work a lot with 16 gauge German silver. Could a bench vise hold the wire so I could work with my right hand only to create links and other findings? I was lucky enough to get a wholesale account and they have asked for another order. Thanks for any information you have. I think I will be able to do lampworking but the jewelry part is the main problem. Again thanks for any help.

Deena

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-04-09, 4:39pm
Slogan Challenged...

How frustrating! No advice, sorry, but best wishes for lots of support in finding a solution. Your work is beautiful, by the way!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-04-09, 4:55pm

Thanks Kristin. It is so frustrating. The good thing is that I am right handed. Yeah. Your work is lovely. Disks and stringer work are so hard....

Old 2014-04-09, 5:50pm
Senior Moment

I also don't have any direct advice; sorry! But you might want to throw a post about this in the Jewelry forum in the Melting Pot section as well.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-04-09, 6:13pm

there are a few options depending on what your working on.
I have used my bench vice with a block of wood or plastic to push and manipulate wire around the plier jaws in the past but its tricky and you endup changing position a lot for complex pieces.

For jumprings I have used a fly tying vice with smaller wire but its slow progress.
A wig jig or similar tool may work for other projects.

Ideally you would have something like a stiching horse the food operated jaws are faster to move around and the wood is soft enough not to markup softer materials.

Old 2014-04-09, 8:49pm
Glass-aholic

A pain probably, but might work...

What about taking a pin vise and mounting that to a table like you would a HOt head torch. A small L bracket, and some hose clamps and a c clamp would hold it. The pain in the but part would be the constant screwing and in screwing. It might be possible to take binder or office clips (heavier duty ones, not the ones that have flip back tabs) and use sticky back foam to line the inside as a cushion. Not sure if it would hold, but I use these clamps/clips when I make skeleton keys and never have issues with the key being loose. With the clamp you might have to attach it to a small block of wood with a screw to stabilize it.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-04-10, 2:57am

Thanks for all the ideas. Going to try the pin vise this weekend and order a bench vise to try both.