Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-09-16, 5:33pm

Default Boro Red

Please - a quick question for a boro novice. I have only worked with a handful of boro color. I need a recommendation for a great red (that stays red in the flame). I have used Loki Lipstick and like it but my work turned into a medium amber. Recommendations please for an easy to work "red".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2015-09-16, 6:46pm

I like Dragons Blood
Old 2015-09-16, 7:06pm
Borovangelist

Opaque or transparent? Opaques aren't exactly considered "novice friendly".

For transparent, I like either TAG's Red Elvis or NS Garnet. They're *almost* interchangeable.

|
|
Old 2015-09-16, 8:02pm
ManBearPig

Garnet is easier to burn out I think. Elvis can take everything you can throw at it.

Old 2015-09-17, 10:51am

Thank you so much for taking the time to give your suggestions! I'm going to order some right now to try out.

SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2015-09-17, 2:48pm

I agree with what everyones said. another really great transparent red is northstar pomegranate. It goes clear when working in the flame but will always strike to the same color as the rod came once you put it in the kiln. I think even red elvis will go clear in the flame too when real hot but also an amazing color.

I like dragons blood alot also, seems to like alot of oxygen, and implodes nicely. Haven't used it for any outside work or like sculptural work tho.
Old 2015-09-18, 10:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3wY View Post
I agree with what everyones said. another really great transparent red is northstar pomegranate. It goes clear when working in the flame but will always strike to the same color as the rod came once you put it in the kiln. I think even red elvis will go clear in the flame too when real hot but also an amazing color.

I like dragons blood alot also, seems to like alot of oxygen, and implodes nicely. Haven't used it for any outside work or like sculptural work tho.
I don't know about dragons blood but I love Elvis red and Pomegranate! They work really well in the flame.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2015-09-18, 5:53pm

Again, thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Mountain Glass is currently out of Elvis Red.

Where are your favorite places to order boro?

SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2015-09-18, 7:31pm
Flamewoman

Mountain Glass.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-09-18, 8:26pm
Borovangelist

MGA, Salt City Glass is good. Occasionally I order direct from the manufacturer if I'm getting enough.

|
|
Old 2015-09-19, 6:28am

Frantz has both elvis red and elvis dark red.. I think. That is where I got more about 2 months ago.

Old 2015-09-19, 11:07am

I did check the Frantz website and saw they had Elvis Red available. I'm going to wait till Monday to order by phone!

Thank you so much!

SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2015-09-21, 6:28am

Depending on how much you order, they usually have a free shipping deal...
http://www.frantznewsletter.com/sale/

Old 2015-09-22, 12:56pm

Unfortunately, living in Hawaii, we never get free shipping. The most we ever receive is perhaps a % discount.

SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2015-09-23, 1:45pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

Definitely echo the love of Elvis Red. I like the dark red too! I've almost never had trouble getting it to stay red. And the color is so lovely! You'll enjoy it.

And we order from Mountain Glass. But we also use Frantz when MG is out of what we need.

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2015-09-26, 4:42pm

I go to lampworksupply.com for almost all my boro glass needs. And they do have Red Elvis in stock right now also.
Old 2015-09-28, 9:18am

red elvis for me

Old 2015-09-28, 12:40pm

Quote:
I go to lampworksupply.com for almost all my boro glass needs. And they do have Red Elvis in stock right now also.
They have a color club that knocks the price way down too. Well worth it.
Old 2015-09-28, 9:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
They have a color club that knocks the price way down too. Well worth it.
Totally. It's a $50 dollar annual membership that paid itself off within my first or second order. Very cool!
Old 2015-09-28, 11:06pm

Quote:
Totally. It's a $50 dollar annual membership that paid itself off within my first or second order. Very cool!
It is a good deal, also.."Membership lasts for one year from the date of purchase and will renew for free if you spend over $500 per year at Lampwork Supply."

I can do $500 in colors a year easy....
Old 2015-09-29, 4:34pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Glass Lady, Loki's Lipstick is in the Amber Purple family so it needs to be either flame struck or struck in the kiln. I prefer to flame strike my AP's here is how I do it. Let it cool until the glow fades when held under the bench. Then slowly heat in the back of the flame until the color just begins to glow then remove from the heat. Repeat 2 or 3 times until you get the desired effect. This will take practice.
Old 2015-10-03, 10:07pm

I like and use Half blood by GA for most of my Reds....I think I might just be me as I am a dork named my torch Smaug years ago and I find this amusing....again dork.

It does NOT stay red in the flame, it's clear when hot are most of the suggestions. But Rare is the boro color that looks like the rod, looks like the color in the flame And when finished.
But these where all half blood and the roses I cut in half with clear

Old 2015-10-30, 12:04pm

Thanks for the photos, untamed rose..............gorgeous!

SRA Member #F10

Diane