AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2011-12-10, 6:37pm

Thanks! I didn't glue them yet, but yes. Both ends are in there. I like these kind of loops for end of mandrel stuff, the ends gets squeezed to fit in the hole so there's tension. Less worries about epoxy failure or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-12-10, 6:39pm
Loving learning

3/32nd mandrel?
Old 2011-12-10, 7:05pm

1/16 mandrel. They're all pretty small. I do bigger end of mandrel things on 3/32", same loop- bigger wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-12-10, 7:15pm
Loving learning

Thanks, it's hard to tell size in photos.
Old 2011-12-10, 7:29pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Really nice, Rebecca... and I like the idea of the pre-made loops. I never thought of that!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2011-12-10, 9:15pm

Thanks Sharon! Really, for this free tut and everything! I never thought you made them the way you do either. lol Years and years ago I met you at a bead show somewhere in PA and saw your headpins and thought they were just magic.

Old 2011-12-11, 6:58am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Sharon, I love those earrings! And the ones on those little springs, so cool!
Tracy, those are really pretty!
Kalera, those came out great! 36?!? Wow!
These took me a couple days. It's not all I did but still....
Just before epoxying. I knew I wanted dangles for a bracelet and earrings so I just went ahead and did loops.
Love these! Love the idea of the loops with both ends inserted into the hole, too!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-12-11, 7:36am
Is it Torch Time Yet?

Default Thanks, Sharon!

Thanks for your generosity, Sharon! Like others, I was wondering if you made them on the mandrel (and how did you keep from melting/firescaling the silver).

Judy
Old 2011-12-11, 8:02am
Growing Edge Glass

Sharon...I love your work...thanks so much for sharing your technique!!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-12-11, 10:17am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Thanks! I didn't glue them yet, but yes. Both ends are in there. I like these kind of loops for end of mandrel stuff, the ends gets squeezed to fit in the hole so there's tension. Less worries about epoxy failure or something.
How do you make those? I think I have them in one of the tutorials I purchased, but as it is with most tutorials I purchased, I never got around to playing with it.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-12-11, 10:30am

It's really easy. I'll take a picture later.

Old 2011-12-11, 3:23pm

Here's the pic. I make one loop over the round nose pliers, flip the wire and make the other loop. I guess with a mandrel you wouldn't have to flip it to get both loops the same size. Bring the wire around until you have the 2 tails off of the loop. / \ . Take your regular (chainnose?) and bend the tails down and trim to fit hole depth. That's it. When you squeeze the tails to put in the bead hole, it creates a little tension. But definitely use epoxy too.

Old 2011-12-11, 6:40pm
I'm a lilac!

I love those dangles! I want to do some pendants that way.

Old 2011-12-18, 4:51am
Knob Creek Glass

Thank you Sharon. I have one of yours sitting here right in front of me.
Old 2012-01-05, 6:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie's glass View Post
I do make them directly on the wire. I use the longest quilt pin I can find. Burn off the plastic dot on the end. I use a pin vise to hold the wire and add the glass. I work under the flame in the ambient heat
These head pins are totally awesome! Is there someplace I could purchase some for making some special jewelry? Just beautiful, Angie!

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2012-01-05, 8:07am

Thank you Sharon! Those are awesome.

I continue to amaze myself of all the things that are so easy but I never think of LOL
I have been struggling with end caps for beads and how to make them look clean. I strung a couple of Moth dragons last night that I bought a while ago.

What I have been doing is tying a knot in the wire, running a small seed bead down to the knot then running a little bigger bead on to that, then placing my large focal bead.

Add a bead to the top and then creating a bail by wrapping and tying around a paint brush handle. It works but could be cleaner - this method will eliminate the seed bead and small knot showing and I can color compliment the focals!

Here's a pic of one of my own dragons using the knot and seed bead method - looks like crap!
(also not a great pic but you can see the seed bead and large bead below the dragon.

Your method will just make them look better! Bad part is now I have to restring everything once I get them made LOL

Thanks again

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2012-01-05 at 8:11am.
Old 2012-01-06, 6:47am
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaglass View Post
Thank you Sharon! Those are awesome.

I continue to amaze myself of all the things that are so easy but I never think of LOL
I have been struggling with end caps for beads and how to make them look clean. I strung a couple of Moth dragons last night that I bought a while ago.

What I have been doing is tying a knot in the wire, running a small seed bead down to the knot then running a little bigger bead on to that, then placing my large focal bead.

Add a bead to the top and then creating a bail by wrapping and tying around a paint brush handle. It works but could be cleaner - this method will eliminate the seed bead and small knot showing and I can color compliment the focals!

Here's a pic of one of my own dragons using the knot and seed bead method - looks like crap!
(also not a great pic but you can see the seed bead and large bead below the dragon.

Your method will just make them look better! Bad part is now I have to restring everything once I get them made LOL

Thanks again
Very cute. Good job.
Old 2012-01-06, 10:24am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Another batch and another huge thank you to Sharon!

122111headpinassortment1 by loribeads, on Flickr

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-01-13, 6:45pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Lori, those are *beautiful*! And I'd love to see a picture of the cute dragon with its new headpin hanger...

keep makin' em, I love to see the pics!

Sharon Peters

Old 2012-02-10, 6:01pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

A few more...

021012headpins1a by loribeads, on Flickr

021012headpins2b by loribeads, on Flickr

021012headpin3a by loribeads, on Flickr

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-02-10, 7:39pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Gorgeous Lori!!!

Old 2012-02-10, 9:34pm

Oh how cute! Makes me want to go fire up my torch.

Old 2012-02-10, 9:45pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Thanks, you guys!

*f

Old 2012-02-10, 10:03pm
I'm a lilac!

Lori, those are darling!

Old 2012-02-10, 11:36pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Wow, they're really beautiful!

Sharon Peters

Old 2012-02-10, 11:40pm

I sure hope I live long enough to use all the wonderful things you guys are teaching me!

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-02-14, 12:48pm

They are darling!!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2012-02-24, 4:57am
Cherine Perrin Glass

The glass community continues to amaze me. We are so free with our knowledge and techniques. The same cannot always be said for other mediums. Thank you Sharon for sharing your techniques and I can't wait to try it!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2012-02-26, 5:06pm

Sharon,
Thanks so much for sharing. They are all adorable and I can see why they would be very popular! I'll have to give a try.
Kathy

Old 2012-02-26, 7:56pm

I just love this technique! I posted these in the gallery the other night, but wanted to show them here too. I had never made my shells on the end of a mandrel before, but after I got used to it...I'm hooked! Thanks Sharon.