Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-10-23, 6:11pm
Ghost Town Glass

Default Lens filter for sodium flare?

We are about to take a bunch of beadmaking pictures with our Canon Rebel whatever the heck, and I was wondering what filter I can buy to reduce the sodium flare from the torch. I read Tink's thread that mentioned using didy lenses and stuff, but is there an actual screw on lens that I can buy?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-23, 6:45pm

Hi Janine, The best thing to do is to call Aura Lens and have them make you a camera lens. You will probably have to send them a plain glass filter that fits your camera and they will make a lens to fit.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
Old 2008-10-23, 7:23pm
da General

Janine - exactly what Pam said (Hi, Pam!!!). I bought the lowest price daylight filter that fits my camera (I have a Canon 20D and the lens was 67mm) from a local camera store, sent it to Aura Lens and it was returned with the didymium in place. Pretty price-y tho - the daylight filter was $18, and if memory serves, the didy replacement was $80. I did it back in April.

Email or call Aura Lens first.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-24, 1:41pm
Ghost Town Glass

I was afraid of that! Given the dollar and the wait of getting mail through customs (packages seem to be averaging at least a month), and my time frame I will just have to rig the glasses right now. Thanks for the info!

Old 2008-10-25, 11:16am

I've not shot a torch flame, so I don't know how it differens from sodium lights or a regular fire, but have you tried a polorizer filter? Or a regular IR filter? You can make a IR filter out of exposed film, although it is a bit dark.

If you find a geletin or glass slide that can be used as a filter, you could use a Cokin filter holder that you place on your camera lens and then slide the filter into it. That way you don't have to have a screw on filter. I've used a Cokin filter hold for gradiant neutral density filters and it works pretty good. The Cokin filters themselves are pretty expensive, but other brands are cheaper and you can even cut up plastic squares to put in it if you can find something that will filter the way you want.

Mike
Old 2008-10-25, 12:17pm
da General

You can always hold one side of your didys glasses in front of your lens. The Canon lens is fairly large so you may catch the frame of the glasses but can always crop that out in Photoshop.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-27, 10:33am

You can also buy didymum and polarizing lenses at B& h photo online.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-10-27, 10:41am
da General

Paula, do you have a link? I couldn't find the didymium filter on B&H site.

Did find some one eBay tho:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hoya-67mm-Coated...QQcmdZViewItem

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-27, 3:25pm

Hi Hayley. No I don't but I was on the phone with them Friday and they told me that they had them..Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-10-27, 3:29pm
da General

I wish I had called them . . . perhaps for the next lens. Thanks, Paula!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-30, 12:13pm
Ghost Town Glass

Thanks, Paula!

Old 2008-11-03, 3:00pm
Celebrating Passion

B & H phone- 800.606.6969
I just called them so I figured I would record my findings here-...
it is called an enhansment filter;
I have a camera that doe not take a filter, so I have yo buy this part that holds a square filter in front (but I am not)-
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Holder.html
and the square filter is-
$400+
a regular "enhancement" filter is typ 58 mm dia.)
start around $40.00 , or $49.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Go.x=19&Go.y=8

peace!
and happy filtering. I guess it works great for photographing sunsets too!