Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-10-11, 10:19pm

Default Palm Tree Tutorial

Does anyone have a Palm Tree tutorial. My friend has requested one and I have no idea where to start.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-13, 7:17am
I fart diamonds

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15655

Old 2006-10-13, 9:44am
cam@velocity.net

Have you seen the Palm Tree Queen's website? I'll bet she'd have some palm tree beads!!!! I doubt she'd have a tutorial, but I couldn't help but think of Debi's website when I read this post!

http://www.palmtreequeen.com/

Candy
Old 2006-10-17, 11:30am
Anna Duhame

Hi, I wrote the "tutorial" in the other link, but I noticed I didn't give that much detail for palm trees...it was more for the other type. I'll give you a little more info:
  1. First you need to make a trunk twistie...I use ivory, sage, sometimes silvered ivory and encase in a transparent amber or brown.
  2. Next, you need to make your frond stringer, I always use an opaque green with intense black stripes, and encase in clear.
  3. Make a base bead...here you can have fun and do whatever moves you. White is a good base--mixed with blues, frit (Hawaiian Sunset from Glass Diversions is nice). I add a shade of blue for the ocean at the bottom and then use ivory for the "sandy beach".
  4. I usually make some kind of a tab because it allows more surface area, but you sure don't have to...I think a Barrel bead would look nice too.
  5. Apply the trunk first, and you just kind of snake it along the bead if you want a curving palm, I let the tree "move me", they are always a little different.
  6. Add the green "fronds". Again, there are several ways to do this so it is nice to experiment and find which is the best for you. Here is a hint though, I usually rake mine to give them some movement.

Here is a picture:

I hope this helps out a bit!

Last edited by hummingbird3172; 2006-10-19 at 7:26am.
Old 2006-10-19, 9:47pm

Default Thanks so much!

I made the other tree bead using your tutorial but I just couldn't figure out the palm tree one. I really appreciate your posting the tutorial. I am new to lampworking and love when I have a finished bead that looks like a miniature work of art. Again, thank you!

Old 2006-10-20, 12:50am
I speak Murrini!

Hi: My daughter asked me for a palm tree necklace (she's 12) and - I know I'm a newbee (did this one after about 1 week on the torch) but it came out pretty neat!!! Since the 1st one, I've made at least a dozen for all her friends! I looked at the pics. previously posted, and although my finished product resulted in a very simple, stand-alone, 3-D Palm tree (as opposed to a "painted" type on a bead background), I get a ton of compliments on them! Here's what I did - try it, you'll like it: I made a single Dark Green Transparent basic round bead (about 5/16" across, which yields a finished pendant about 1 1/8" long), then added five Dk Green Trans. dots evenly spaced around the perimiter. Continuing with the Dk Green Trans., I began stacking dots on dots until I had five long "frond" shapes sticking out from the bead - I'm sure you'll know just by looking at it when they are "long" enough. I then heated each frond, and touching the tip with a cool stringer, pulled each one out and down slightly to create a pleasant, downward palm frond shape, then flame cut the stringer at the tip of the frond if it stuck. Then I heated each frond and (using fine tweezers) pressed along the edges of each one to make tiny leaf lines in each one - don't forget to "chill" your tweezers in cool water between frond "presses" or they'll stick! (When finished, I set in blanket to cool); next I used Dark Amber Transparent to create several basic round beads, 5 in all, each becoming progressively bigger. Note that as a size gauge to use as a reference for the Amber rounds, make your LARGEST bead about the same size as the basic round bead that formed the foundation for your palm frond "head", about 5/16" across; this ends up with an esthetically "balanced" look to the tree (blanket cooled then all into the kiln to anneal. I have a PMC kiln and with it's large door, I'd get a sunburn trying to ramp it up to annealing temp. and pop them in hot - whatever annealing method works for you). When all were annealed, cooled and cleaned, I stacked them on a single sterling head pin. I suggest a using a 2" one to give you ample wire to work with. Before you slide the beads on and assemble the Palm Tree, give the head pin a very slight, gentle "bend" - sort of like this ")" shape, and slightly straighter on the bottom - just enough to give the finished Palm Tree a "swaying in the wind" effect. Start with the largest amber bead on the bottom, progressing up to the smallest amber bead, adding the green palm "head" last - fronds pointing down. Then I did the usual wrapped loop at the top to finish the pendant and "voila", there you have it. My daughter wears it regularly on a fine sterling snake chain. I really makes a pretty "charm". Sorry I don't have a pic. right now - I don't have a finished one handy and she's sound asleep in her room; I'd probably trip, fall and kill myself trying to find it - like I said, she's 12!!!! PM me if you have any questions and if you give it a try, please let me know what you think. DeAnne/theglasszone/CA

Last edited by theglasszone; 2006-10-20 at 1:02am.
Old 2006-10-20, 8:16am

Default Can you post a picture?

I'd love to see a picture of your palm trees!

Old 2006-10-20, 12:58pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_glass_tiara
I made the other tree bead using your tutorial but I just couldn't figure out the palm tree one. I really appreciate your posting the tutorial. I am new to lampworking and love when I have a finished bead that looks like a miniature work of art. Again, thank you!

You are very welcome! )

I think the other idea--for the 3-D one sounds really cool too! After I posted I got to thinking that might have been more of what you were looking for...very creative and cool!

I don't think I said it in the steps, but I do leave the palm tree in a raised relief style...it is nice to be able to touch the detail.