Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-04-15, 10:24am
"Sinners have soul too"

Default Boro bead release question

Hi all... I've taken up making small encased boro beads and I have an issue with the release I've been using for soft glass. I'm guessing it's the more intense heat causing the release to crack and chip when I made the boro beads. So here's a question for the boro bead makers... what release do you use?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-04-15, 10:27am

I use Fusion for my boro (for all my glass, actually). Have tried most brands out there, always came back to Fusion.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2008-04-15, 10:31am
"Sinners have soul too"

Really? OKay then... I actually carry that. I've been mixing it 50/50 with Alice's for my soft glass. I guess I try it out alone for the boro and see what happens. Thanks!

Old 2008-04-15, 11:39am
Flame Dame

I use Fusion, too, for both hard and soft glass. I love it!

Leah

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2008-04-15, 1:17pm
Pyromaniac

FosterFire Smooth and Tuff is fantastic!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-04-15, 4:00pm
Against the Grain

Fusion for me! I work both hard and soft glass.
I have not tried Fosterfire Smooth and Tuff yet.

under construction

HELLCAT! with 2 oxycons and household NG (yes I will be increasing the oxy)

D-41
Old 2008-04-15, 4:16pm
ManBearPig

I only use Sludge Plus. I've tried many others (Foster Fire, Bucket of Mud, Fusion, Zipp or whatever it's called) and it works the best.

Old 2008-04-18, 7:17am
Flamewoman

Another vote for Sludge Plus. The other ones are great for soft glass, but for boro, the only one that doesn't burn off is Sludge Plus.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-04-18, 8:12am
"Sinners have soul too"

Thanks for the input guys. I think I have a jar/bottle of Sludge Plus. But if I remember correctly it seemed very thick to me. Should the consistancy be the same as any other bead release?

I have some ideas floatin' around in my head and want to get straight to work when I get to studio today. I will try some of the Sludge Plus and open up a fresh bottle of Fusion. Maybe I'll even try the Smooth and Tuff Foster Fire.

I have a tiny bottle of the Dirty Looie's bead release, anybody try that yet?

Old 2008-04-18, 7:15pm

I've tried Dirty Louies worked very well when air dried, did not work well for me when I flame dried it. I will use it again.
I mix two releases together usually... Smooth & Tuff with KRAG Mud

Old 2008-04-18, 7:41pm
"Sinners have soul too"

OKay, tried the Dirty Looies... Love it
Tried Sludge Plus, me no likey... I didn't like it the first time I tried it and still don't but I
mixed the Sludge Plus into my mix of Fusion and Alice's and it works great
I'll have to work my way through the huge batch of bead release I have now before I try anything new.

Old 2008-04-19, 2:14am

Here's a vote for Dirty Louies. I find drying in bead door works best for me.Its quick and I can have as many ready as I have ambition for. Plus,I've yet to have to wrestle any to the floor getting the beads off.Just hold the bead and spin the mandrill.Did I mention it washes out on it's own?
Old 2008-04-19, 8:35am
"Sinners have soul too"

Oooo, I can't wait to get to the beads I did with Dirtie Looie's. I wanna see how easy it is to get the beads off I am having some serious issues with the thumb joint in my right hand and have been putting the mandrels in a vice and twisting the beads off using my left hand. I just can't hold on to the mandrels (on their own or with a pliers) with my right hand any more.

Old 2008-04-19, 3:14pm
boro color bender

Sludge plus for years... I've tried a bunch and I do have some of the Dirty stuff to give a go. I'll let you know what I find out about that. Sludge Plus has always been my choice. It rocks!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-04-19, 8:16pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Sludge Plus!!!
Old 2008-04-19, 8:17pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Basically if it's grey it's good bead release in my opinion because the only two releases I have ever like have been grey.....Chockadoo bead release which is a an ozzie company and sludge plus.