Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-06-22, 2:07pm
Definitely having fun

Default Advice sought for making 2 1/2"ish discs with a center hole

Hey gang,

I would like to make some large discs that are consistant in width and diameter at around 2 1/2" across and maybe 1/4" thick. The finished disc should have a largish (3/8") hole in the absolute center of the disc.

Mostly I work off mandrel, but would consider a large mandrel if necessary.

What would be the best method for crafting these. A press followed by drilling out the center, or 2 1/2" plate BBQ mashers with a large slot half way through the center of the paddles for the mandrel?

At this time I am working with a 10LPM Oxycon and a GTT Lynx torch.

Thanks
Old 2009-06-22, 6:35pm

flatten the disk, then punch a hole with a tungsten rod, then heat and open with the tungsten and tweezers.

drilling would be hard and dangerous(glass dust) but would work if you had a way to wet grind them.
Old 2009-06-23, 12:52am

I would say make your large disc and pick away at the center until the hole opens up.

Make your disc...
punty up like this -------O
with a pin flame only heat the center and pick away amounts of glass slow until its thin and you can tear a hole with a clear rod. just be careful as to where that flame hits and be careful of radiant heat. You might have to cool it down a bunch of times in between each tear.

just an idea....
Old 2009-06-23, 6:23am
Borovangelist

Can you color coat a point then spin it out like you were making a rondelle for a goblet foot?

I think one of things you're going to run into is the 1/4" thick part. The disc is going to have a lot of surface area allowing it to cool (relatively) quickly, so you risk cracking if you don't keep it fairly warm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2009-06-23, 6:44am
ManBearPig

I would say coil up the color and blow it out into a ball. Open a hole and then flare it out to the right size.

Old 2009-06-23, 2:26pm

are you wanting the shape to be very symmetrical and exact?
Old 2009-06-25, 2:03pm
Definitely having fun

Consistant thickness would be very nice. I wonder about a graphite/brass/stainless form and if pressing a sizeable gather would work, or cool too quick and be unmanageable.

The shape does not need to be exact but I would like it to end up nice and consistantly circular around the outer rim and centered on the hole.

Great ideas so far.
Old 2009-06-26, 6:40am

I'm thinking a graphite rod of whatever dia. you need the hole size, maybe a quick wrap and mash, possible.
Old 2009-06-26, 9:05am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywine View Post
Consistant thickness would be very nice. I wonder about a graphite/brass/stainless form and if pressing a sizeable gather would work, or cool too quick and be unmanageable.

The shape does not need to be exact but I would like it to end up nice and consistantly circular around the outer rim and centered on the hole.

Great ideas so far.
That's why I recommended blowing a sphere and then flaring it out flat. Thickness should be very consistent. And it should be pretty much round...

Old 2009-06-29, 9:24am

I would make it the old fashioned way! On a mandrel with the slotted mashers!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !