Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-01-30, 12:46pm

Default Lynx - Short Candle Problem

So, to make a long story short, I bought and hooked up a Cricket when it first arrived. Shortly thereafter, my oxycon (5 lpm) blew up so I bought a new one (M15 @ 8 lpm) and hooked that up to the Cricket. All was well. I've been happily torching ever since.

Today, when I recognized a little propane odour, I decided it was time to hook up my Lynx (which was shelved when the Cricket arrived). After a GREAT DEAL of fussing about, including but not limited to: Cutting brass nipples off of existing hoses (after getting the little ear clamps to finally let go) and then painstakingly removing the brass inner part's death grip with the inside of the hose (rinse, lather repeat because I used an oxygen connector by accident the first time and the threads didn't match).... well, I finally, finally got it all hooked up.

Now, when I turn on my Lynx, my propane takes *much* longer to come through than it did on the Cricket. There's nowhere near the same amount of oxygen coming through as the Cricket received and there's a "wheezing" sound coming from the propane line.

When I bought my Lynx, it had hoses on it that are smaller than the usual 1/4" pigtails. I haven't removed them because they're pretty securely attached and I have no idea how I'll ever get them to release. I do have an extra set of pigtail hoses on hand. However, the torch worked fine with these last time it was set up.

Also, I did clean the torch today but I only cleaned the "tips" - is it possible I've shoved crud down inside the torch that is now prohibiting it from working properly?

My candles are (maybe) no more than a few mm's. I'm sure I'm likely influenced by the amazing oxycon ability of the Cricket and my Lynx hasn't been set up with the new system - but something is very wrong.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot here? I'm about to order a whole whack of new hoses (I'm wondering if when I inserted the brass connector nipple I somehow managed to get it slightly off a clean insert and the inside of the hose might be limiting flow on the propane? As for the oxygen - I have no idea why the flow is so restricted.

All I know is, I can't torch

PLEASE HELP?
Old 2010-01-30, 1:04pm
uncouthful cats

Why was there a propane odor in the first place? Is your tank nearly empty? Did you check for leaks? Did you figure out the reason for the smell?

Did you hook up the Cricket again to make sure that still works like it did? Maybe something got obstructed in the process of changing lines? Do you have a flashback arrestor on the O2 line that might be obstructing O2 flow?

I'm trying to remember all the things that were suggested to me when I realized I wasn't getting sufficient O2 to my torch. Mine is an electrical problem, but I didn't know what it was originally, so I went through all kinds of stuff to eliminate possible causes.

But what is the propane smell stuff? That would worry me before anything else!

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2010-01-30, 1:31pm

I suspect the smell is because it's EXTREMELY cold here today! I'm presuming the expansion/contraction of the line might have contributed. That's why, instead of just tightening things up and doing the whole soapy testing thing, I chose instead to change up the torches while I was at it.

I haven't hooked up the cricket again. I need to... but because I had the lines hooked up directly to the cricket, I simply cut the lines. Now, I have to go back and remove those stupid, earclamp things (I so prefer the clamps with the screws!) and then physically remove the cut lines and reattach the new pigtail connectors.

I have no flashback arrestors installed. Everything was absolutely fine on the O2 until I hooked up the Lynx (as stated, the Lynx has smaller pigtail lines than the usual 1/4" lines. They're clear lines with green and red material stretched over them. They're about a little more than half the diameter of a usual 1/4" line (guessing here).

I may be running short on propane. It's been a while. NEed to go out anyway so I'll pick up a new tank while I'm out.

I just said to my husband that perhaps I need to go set the Cricket back up and see if it works... plus, I'm ordering all new lines (the existing line is now a couple of years old and has been exposed to some elements over that timeframe so it may be in need of a change anyway).
Old 2010-01-30, 7:03pm

NEVERMIND! I fixed it!

Doh.

It wasn't getting enough oxygen. I inadvertently hooked up the oxygen line with the loosened earclamp on it. I've now replaced the whole hose and I'm using my LYNX for the first time in over (counts) nevermind, too many months to count.

Lesson learned. Propane leak is fixed too. It's a happy night to torch!
Old 2010-01-30, 7:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenMuse View Post
NEVERMIND! I fixed it!

Doh.

It wasn't getting enough oxygen. I inadvertently hooked up the oxygen line with the loosened earclamp on it. I've now replaced the whole hose and I'm using my LYNX for the first time in over (counts) nevermind, too many months to count.

Lesson learned. Propane leak is fixed too. It's a happy night to torch!
I ran my Lynx with an EX-15 concentrator for a yr. I had issues in the beginning with the concentrator staying up with the torch as far as supply is concerned. I went the route of setting up an O2 holding tank using Trey Cornette's tutoral. Really easy and solved the issue of supply. This may not be an issue if you're just beading soft glass, but it will be an issue if you want to do reactive silvers in boro or any larger work.

http://www.treycornette.com/category_23/Tutorials.htm

Good luck and feel free to contact for Lynx experience

Kevin

Also, just curious, is your propane on a BBQ reg or adjustable reg? Propane, when not bled off daily, can form some real crappy goo in your lines that will actually spit out over time and cause a real pain in the clogged port world. Unless you're really strapped or extremely lucky in life,get a flash-back arrester on the propane at the very least.It's a small investment to avoid a huge problem. You see, when the tank runs low, the pressure drops first at the flame, then back towards your tank. The tank hates flame.

Last edited by kebira; 2010-01-30 at 7:30pm.
Old 2010-01-30, 8:57pm

As it happens, my propane tank did run out!!! I got all of four beads done tonight.

I do *have* flash back connectors but they were a constant source of leakage so I removed them. I bleed the tank every single time I torch.

I have seen the 02 holding tank. I think it's a definite option down the road. Currently I'm using soft glass and the Lynx is working just fine on the M15 for that purpose for now.

Thanks so much for the info!
Old 2010-01-30, 9:06pm

I'd suggest investing into quick connects if you own more than one torch. they are a blessing. you can get combo Flashback & quick connects as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2010-01-31, 6:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
I'd suggest investing into quick connects if you own more than one torch. they are a blessing. you can get combo Flashback & quick connects as well
I have the combo flashback & quick connects. They turned out to be a constant source of leakage so I shelved them.