Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-02-06, 8:02am

Default my bead release flakes off

I am having problems with my bead release flaking and burning off when I make boro beads. I am using Blue Sludge and love it when I work with soft glass. When I make boro beads I have a problem with the release flaking off when I pre heat the mandrel before I put the glass on it. As I work the boro bead I have alot of release burn off. When I try to remove the beads I have a lot of trouble getting them off the mandrel. Is there a trick? what am I doing wrong?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R-118
Old 2010-02-06, 11:33am
just another glass addict

If your release is flaking in the preheat your might be using too much heat to prewarm it thus weakening it. I have release flake off while making boro beads sometimes and once it starts it seems like it gets worse. I haven't used blue sludge in a while, but I did like it. I tend to do off mandrel work with boro because I burn through mandrels too often.

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-06, 12:32pm

I have tried many brands of bead release, but like Fusion best as it holds up well for boro.

Anita
www.nitabeads.com
Old 2010-02-06, 3:10pm

I have used Fusion and like it too I will get somemore and see if it helps.

R-118
Old 2010-02-07, 8:04am
Borovangelist

You might try thinning it a little to see if it helps. I find if it's too thick it comes off like hunks of plaster.

|
|
Old 2010-02-07, 8:44am

ok, Tom I will give that a try. I was thing thick my be better and stronger but I will give this a try

R-118
Old 2010-02-07, 6:35pm
Borovangelist

The way I look at it, it's easier to do multiple coats if need be with a thinner mix than thinner ones with a thick mix

I use Foster Fire for what it's worth.

|
|
Old 2010-02-10, 5:46am
boro color bender

Sludge Plus... works every time... releases when it's supposed to.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-02-10, 7:28am

sludge plus is on the list

R-118
Old 2010-02-16, 12:46pm

i like kragg mud the best, but sludge is good too, i havent tried it in a while
http://www.kittrellriffkind.com/studio/krag_mudd.php
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2010-02-17, 11:04am
Fire and Fluidity

I used to use Foster Fire's "smooth and tough" for boro. Then I discovered "Best Bead Release" by ForwardMotion (on Etsy). This stuff is ammaaaazing! Very little flaking and releases cleanly.

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2010-02-17, 12:36pm

thanks on all the release reviews

R-118
Old 2010-02-19, 7:03am

Fosters Smooth and Tuff with Looies release .... do a 50/50 mix .... air dry or flame dry ... I have better luck with just letting it air dry but when in a hurry don't have any other problems other then getting it to dry lol ..... once done you can take beads off , soak for a few minutes and wala .... no dremel needed, just use a pipe cleaner and you'll never see scratches in your clear bails again
Old 2010-02-21, 7:53am
Julia Dragonfly Glassworx

I use fusion and it's the best in my opinion. Never flakes and so easy to come off. I know everyone has their fav's but thought I'd chime in.
Old 2010-02-22, 9:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassshack View Post
Fosters Smooth and Tuff with Looies release .... do a 50/50 mix .... air dry or flame dry ... I have better luck with just letting it air dry but when in a hurry don't have any other problems other then getting it to dry lol ..... once done you can take beads off , soak for a few minutes and wala .... no dremel needed, just use a pipe cleaner and you'll never see scratches in your clear bails again
Thats exactly what I use. The trick to any bead release is drying. The reason it pops off is the instantly high flame heat.The moisture expands rapidly under the already dry outer crust. It's trapped in there.It doesn't take much. Think popcorn popping. Moisture is the key to a good pop.
I air dry mine ,standing in a pot of vermiculite,atop my kiln overnight. I coat multiple mandrels and just keep them up there. I've yet to have a problem with them. Some releases seem to soak up moisture sitting out on the bench. Not this 50/50 mix.Keep them warm,the heat from your kiln is already paid for.Use it. And I've also never used anything but water and a pipe cleaner. I have found that prior to using the mandrel it really helps the end clean-out if you smooth the dried coated mandrel with your fingers or a soft rag. Not aggressively,just smoothing any roughness. This is the surface the glass will mold to. If it's pitted or bumpy,thats what the inside of the bead will be. And it gives the release something to hold on to so when it comes time to clean, you wind up trying to deal with these tiny pits full of release.

Kevin
Old 2010-02-22, 2:16pm
Borovangelist

Being the impatient lout that I am, I've been kiln drying them in between coats, but I've also been using 2.5' long 1/4" steel rods

But, I've been doing a coating, putting them in the doggy door to dry while I dip the next one, swap those, put on another coat, swap again then put the first one into the rack and so on. You can actually see the release drying, but give it an extra few seconds to make sure you're not just drying the outside layer.

|
|
Old 2010-02-28, 6:14pm

Fusion works all the time for me.

Old 2010-02-28, 9:23pm

I still swear by Alice's and BOM 50/50 or Fusion. Looies is so thin and flaky for me and Smooth and Tuff is too thick! Never tried any of the sludges.

Old 2010-03-01, 2:21am

I like Bucket o' Mud for boro. It will flake a little if you leave it sitting too long. Weeks, months... I don't mandrel very often any more. The beads come off easy too. Blue sludge never worked for me.