Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2017-04-15, 4:07am
kiwi ( new zealand)

Question borosilicate colored sheet glass?

I have been make my own sheet by cutting and flat out borosilicate tubing I have but just to make one little sheet I use for my work take one hour to make. Do anyone know if you can buy borosilicate colored sheet glass?

Geoffery Bunker Glass artist
Live Stream
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

octarockstudio= octopuss sit on a rock studio
Old 2017-04-15, 7:36am
Slogan Challenged...

There is some information on this vendors page, it's called boro float glass.
http://www.grayglass.net/glass.cfm/L...tid/3/conid/79

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-04-15, 8:45am

I've never heard of colored sheet unless it's dichro.

Old 2017-04-16, 7:13am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
There is some information on this vendors page, it's called boro float glass.
http://www.grayglass.net/glass.cfm/L...tid/3/conid/79
FYI - All float glass has a coating of tin ॐ one side you need to burn off, otherwise it turns milky.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2017-04-16, 11:05pm
Slogan Challenged...

Good point Dave, I hadn't read it all the way through. It doesn't sound easy to find. I don't suppose it would have much use outside of manufacturing? What are you making, Geoffery?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-04-17, 8:20am
DaveK

I make all kinds of stuff. The reason I wanted to try it was I got a laser printer and the iron oxide printer ink and decal printer paper to print on flat glass. I had had success using Bullseye 90coe and wanted to try it with boro. I had problems with the decals sticking to the tin side. I gave up on getting boro to work. Later I heard about burning the tin side off but never got back to it. I also thought it would be easier to apply designed with a stringer, drawing with a stringer, on flat glass rather on a bubble or maria. Lil bit attention deficit so I never got back to it after I found out about burning the tin off.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2017-04-17, 8:37am
DaveK

This is an example of printing on the Bullseye glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2017-04-17, 8:31pm
Slogan Challenged...

Thanks for the info. I've seen decal work, I always thought it was applied to tubes or formed work. That looks much easier.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-05-08, 11:30am
funny mofo

I once had this brilliant idea to make a glass candy dish out of boro sheet glass. You know, the kind of idea you get after you've taken one class and don't really know anything... I even drew a cross-section diagram. The owner of the studio said that what I wanted to do was really a fusing application, but I knew nothing about fusing. I bought a sheet of boro float... I couldn't cut it. I went to the glass shop in town; the guy at the counter had never heard of boro glass and wanted $10 per cut. I went to the tile place next door, the woman laughed at the guy at the glass shop and said he was an idiot, but she couldn't help me cut it either. I finally found someone to cut it. They couldn't cut the pieces straight because boro is hard to cut with regular tools. I heated all of the pieces in the kiln to get them up to at least 1060 before I started hitting them with the flame, but still, all of the pieces cracked.

There's a lot more to the story of the candy dish that wasn't, but my recommendation on boro float glass is don't. It's not worth the expense or the effort, and Bullseye exists.