Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

View Poll Results: Do you babysit your kiln while it's running?
I am always in the room and paying attention when the kiln is on 16 3.09%
I don't leave the house - but I do other things and don't watch it like a hawk 217 41.89%
I have been known to run a few errands away from the house when the kiln is on 55 10.62%
I put the beads in, close the door, and leave the house/go to sleep 230 44.40%
Voters: 518. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-18, 1:16pm
The Andrea Half

I double check everything. That said, if I babysat my kiln until it ended its cycle, I would never have the time to get any beads made! I will go to sleep with the cycle unning (LOTS of fire alarms and an extinguisher), and I will leave the house ... but I won't go to work with the kiln going. (That means making beads in the morning before I go to teach class is usually not on.)

I do have an AIM kiln, firebrick, sitting UP on blocks, on tile set on top of tiles on top of table, 18" away from wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-19, 3:01pm

Default Toaster

I don't trust my toaster to be plugged in unless I'm using it. As soon as I'm done, it gets unplugged. Same goes for any portable appliance with a heating element in my house.

When it comes to my torch, kiln, oxycon, propane (always outside), I have a little OCD-type ritual I do before leaving the house or going to sleep to make sure everything is off, unplugged, and disconnected. I couldn't bear it if anything happened to my family, my bunnies, or our home. Karen
Old 2014-08-29, 9:13am

My kiln runs for four days at a time when I cast slabs. There's no way in hell I could babysit it for that long. I have a day job. These things are designed to be safe as long as the installation is set up prudently (i.e. on bare concrete, far enough away from combustibles and walls, properly wired, etc.)