LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2005-12-17, 6:20am
Detail G-Mama!

Thank ya ma'am! These are very addicting!! LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-12-17, 10:33am
Glassy Lady

Anne, those are really nice, great job!

About making Christmas ornaments, I'm going to experiment with using the hollow mandrel dipped in bead release. As long as don't get it too thin it should work, don't you think? Oh wait, it won't fit in my small kiln, dang! I'll have to think about it. Maybe I could rent some time at a studio where they have larger kilns. Those of you who have larger kilns and want to try it, please post pictures here.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2005-12-17, 10:51am
Lampworker on Hiatus

Here is one that I did. Hopefully I'll have time to try some more later today. Thanks again, Alex!

Old 2005-12-17, 11:44am
Glassy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBeadsOfFire
Here is one that I did. Hopefully I'll have time to try some more later today. Thanks again, Alex!

I love the choice of colors, great job!

Old 2005-12-17, 12:01pm
Lampworker on Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm
I love the choice of colors, great job!
Thanks Alex!

Old 2005-12-17, 8:24pm
Detail G-Mama!

Gina that is so pretty! Good job!

Old 2005-12-17, 9:06pm
Goofbead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBeadsOfFire
Christy, after the blown piece cooled, I just banged on it with my brass marver until they broke into smaller pieces. Fun...I like breaking things! LOL

I made some today using the glass you sent me and some frit just like Alex's instructions. Worked really well. I have had some glassblowing classes and so once I got back into the swing of things it worked really well. I tried cutting with the round wheel but it broke into too small a pieces. I used your technique of just banging the crud out of it and it worked great. I will post pics in the gallery tomorrow.

Thanks again to both you and Alex.

Christy

"Wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai
Old 2005-12-18, 1:43am
Lampworker on Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts
Gina that is so pretty! Good job!
Thanks Anne! By the way, it was so nice to meet you live and in person at Molly's!

Old 2005-12-18, 1:45am
Lampworker on Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by softbleu
I made some today using the glass you sent me and some frit just like Alex's instructions. Worked really well. I have had some glassblowing classes and so once I got back into the swing of things it worked really well. I tried cutting with the round wheel but it broke into too small a pieces. I used your technique of just banging the crud out of it and it worked great. I will post pics in the gallery tomorrow.

Thanks again to both you and Alex.

Christy
I'm glad you had fun with the glass! You'll have to post pictures of the shard beads here, as well as, in the gallery.

Thanks again, Alex for a fantastic tutorial!

Old 2005-12-18, 2:18am
boro color bender

Awesome job Alex. here's a little video my friend did. I was just showing one of my friends how to do it at her home studio. My friend Jason shot this without me knowing at first. Hopefully this will help people as well. http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...E0I4DEEZEB7ITP

Shards are so much fun to do, but I keep burning my fingers trying to direct them... I know better than to grab the little suckers after they're too short, but sometimes I can't help myself. I just want it to go over there! Then there's a loud "Ouch!"

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2005-12-18 at 1:07pm.
Old 2005-12-18, 6:27am
Serenity Now!

Hey Brent! Bummer - I can't get the link to work...says something about it being broken (?!?) Is there another way to access it? Thanks - have a great day...Val
Old 2005-12-18, 1:07pm
boro color bender

Fixed it. Sorry about that!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-12-18, 1:11pm
Goofbead

Here is a couple I made after reading the tutorial from Alex.
Attached Images

"Wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai
Old 2005-12-18, 1:12pm
Lampworker on Hiatus

OMG, Smiley dude! That is so COOL! Awesome video!

Old 2005-12-18, 1:13pm
Lampworker on Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by softbleu
Here is a couple I made after reading the tutorial from Alex.
Christy those are beautiful! Way to go!

Old 2005-12-18, 1:59pm
Glassy Lady

Brent, that's a great video on blowing and using shards. Thanks for posting the link in this thread.

Christy, those look great! I'm going to have to play with twisting the edges of the shards as you did.

Old 2005-12-28, 12:13pm

The link isn't working for the video. ;(

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2005-12-29, 6:50pm

I tried this a few times last night and all I got was cellophane...Which is betterthatn the last time I tried it!! hehe. Great Tutorial though!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2005-12-30, 10:46am
Glassy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD
I tried this a few times last night and all I got was cellophane...Which is betterthatn the last time I tried it!! hehe. Great Tutorial though!
Paula
The glass was either too hot or you blew too hard, or you had a thin spot. Try again, you'll get the hang of it eventually. BTW, the thicker pieces of celophane are often usable.

Old 2005-12-30, 12:39pm

I think all three!! I'll try again today!! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2005-12-30, 8:13pm
A Splash o' Glass

Pretty beads shown with this process. I'm doing o.k. with the blowing process in trying to make miniture bottles, so I think I will take some that are mis-shapen and break them into shards to make beads. I've become stagnant lately in ideas for new bead designs, so maybe this will open up some creativity ideas in my brain! Thanks everyone for sharing.
Old 2007-01-27, 10:55pm
Trying to Hope!

wow I cant wait to try this

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-01-28, 1:35pm

How did I miss this - I am sooo going to give this a go!

Thanks Alex M - great tutorial.

Sadie

Old 2008-03-17, 7:37pm

What a great tutorial! Thank you bunches for taking the time to do this. I kept wondering how people were making them.

The shards would also be great for fusing. I love the way they look in fused glass.

Do you really use a whole rod to wrap around the mandrel? Or did I misunderstand?

Old 2008-03-18, 7:58am

I blew shards yesterday!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-03-24, 5:31pm
Sheila

Thanks for a great tutorial, Alex!

I finally found hollow mandrels for a decent price at CR Loo ($5). I can't wait till it gets here!

Old 2008-03-25, 3:42pm
Sheila

FYI, CR Loo doesn't sell the tubing anymore. Back to hunting...

Old 2008-05-22, 8:02am
Glassy Lady

I was told the pictures were missing from this tutorial. I have no idea where they went, I didn't remove them. I can't find the pictures in my picture archives. I had a computer crash last year and I think the original pictures were lost then. I'm going to see if I can get Corrie to recover the lost pictures on this site.

Old 2008-05-22, 10:53am

Are they in your archived photos here?

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-05-22, 11:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm View Post
I was told the pictures were missing from this tutorial. I have no idea where they went, I didn't remove them. I can't find the pictures in my picture archives. I had a computer crash last year and I think the original pictures were lost then. I'm going to see if I can get Corrie to recover the lost pictures on this site.
Thank you - I would really love to see them