LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-03-04, 1:17pm
I like fire....

Default Nortel Minor vs mega minor

Can anyone explain to me the differences between the minor and the mega minor.

I have a mega minor and my dad has a minor. except color they look identical and I know the mega will get hotter - how?
I just dont see differences and when people on the board refer to a minor do they mean the Nortel minor or the Mega Minor - interchangabily???

I often see compairisons to the cricket and CC - but I still dont know if the reference is to a mega minor or not.
Can anyone help shed a little light on these concepts??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-04, 1:30pm
Loving learning

The Nortel site says the Mega makes better use of oxygen and will make a larger, wider flame with the same oxygen.
Old 2013-03-04, 6:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
The Nortel site says the Mega makes better use of oxygen and will make a larger, wider flame with the same oxygen.
Interesting, huh? The same number and arrangement of ports so the port geometry must be different.
Old 2013-03-04, 6:44pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Or the port sizes are different.
Old 2013-03-04, 6:45pm
Dakine glass man

Yeah I have both. If you want I can take a pic of the faces later. They are slightly different

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2013-03-04, 11:45pm
I like fire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Greenstone View Post
Yeah I have both. If you want I can take a pic of the faces later. They are slightly different
do they really preform differently?
Old 2013-03-05, 12:17am
Salt Box Beads

Yes they do. It is much hotter especially when using tanked oxy. The Mega gets hotter just by design. I promptly melted three mandrels until I could get a handle on it and that was with a concentrator.

Here is a video showing it melting and sculpting good sized boro rods.
I never say minor when I mean Mega minor. I always say Mega for Mega minor and minor for the minor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INjLBsdKMHU

Entry level torches are usually by affordable price ranges and torches that can be used with one concentrator and are surface mix torches. Sometimes people refer to torches as burners.

There are more but the list below are the favored ones in production currently. All wonderful torches but each is different how they handle just like cars, cell phones cameras etc. The names in bold are usually how the torches are referred to.

Hope this helps.

GTT Cricket
Carlisle Mini CC
Nortel Minor
Nortel Mega Minor
Bethlehem Alpha
National 8M
GTT Bobcat

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-03-05 at 11:31am.
Old 2013-03-05, 12:31pm
Face The Flame Studios

Default Port Size

They are both seven port surface mix, the Mega does have slightly larger ports, as mentioned earlier here, and a little different face design.

Not a great jpg of the ports, but it will give you an idea of the difference.

btw...I would not go by the pictures on some sites, like Sundance's (attached) - it looks like this is the same picture was used to describe two different burners. The one on the left is supposed to be a minor and the one on the right, a mega. They look the same to me.

bob
Attached Images

Last edited by R.S.Fraser Sr.; 2013-03-05 at 12:37pm.
Old 2013-03-05, 1:12pm
Dakine glass man

The most notable diff is the extra ring of metal on the mega between the ports and cooling ring. My theory is that it helps that outer part of the flame be more directed inward wich would cause more of that oxy to combust rather than the minor where that last bit of oxy spreads outward loosening the flame.... That's just my theory

Last edited by Maui Greenstone; 2013-03-05 at 1:16pm.
Old 2013-03-06, 2:28am

funny....i've heard from many a people that the minor is actually hotter then the mega. the mega has a more bushy flame....
idk how true that is, but i've read it from more then one person.
Old 2013-03-06, 3:00am
Dakine glass man

If I get a chance I'll video them running side by side.

Old 2013-03-06, 8:12am
Dix Harrison

I have both the Minor and the Mega. I find them to be very different.

The Minor was my first torch.
I loved it for the simplicity, the reliability, the ease of maintenance, and the easy clues it gave for identifying a neutral, oxy-rich, and reduction flames. I only used it with tanked oxy.
When I got the concentrator, I bought the Mega. The Mega flame is a little hotter and more efficient on an oxy concentrator. At first, I was surprised at how much more yellow was in the Mega candles. The Minor was/is much more blue. The Mega flame is also more broad/wide than the Minor. That is, it's not as "tight."

It took me a little while to learn to identify and dial in the oxy-rich flame on the Mega. But, I got it!

I'm pretty sure there are other threads here that address this same comparison if you do a search.
Old 2013-03-07, 3:30am

perhaps the tightness of the minor's flame is what i mistook/misread to mean it was hotter.
Old 2013-03-07, 11:23am
Salt Box Beads

Basically torches can be run at different heat levels. Some people get tanks and run torches at full throttle. You can't run a torch at its full capabilities with a concentrator or even two or three. The oxygen purity isn't there either.

People that say the Mega isn't hotter or the Minor is hotter probably dial in all of their torches the same way. If they do then the torches will run about the same.

Like Kanassky said learning to dial in a new or different torch is very important in order to obtain from that torch what the manufacturers have said it is capable of.
Old 2013-03-07, 12:05pm
PyronamixK

I have done lots of torch testing and tested both the Minor and the Mega Minor on concentrators. On each torch, I dialed in a flame that was the biggest neutral flame before entering into reduction. When I tested them on a 10 LPM concentrator, I included a melt test: how fast can it cut through an 8mm rod of boro. The Minor took 16 seconds and the Mega Minor took 17 seconds. It appears that the Minor has greater heat density.
Old 2013-03-07, 12:44pm
Salt Box Beads

Just goes to show you everyone gets different heat....
Old 2013-03-07, 1:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
I have done lots of torch testing and tested both the Minor and the Mega Minor on concentrators. On each torch, I dialed in a flame that was the biggest neutral flame before entering into reduction. When I tested them on a 10 LPM concentrator, I included a melt test: how fast can it cut through an 8mm rod of boro. The Minor took 16 seconds and the Mega Minor took 17 seconds. It appears that the Minor has greater heat density.
based on the changes that makes perfect sense.