Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-09-20, 5:13pm

Default I'm Sure Its My Crappy Camera BUT...

I have 2 shop lights from Walmart with those flourescent twisted bulbs, 20 watt each, using a white table cloth lining a cardboard box. The lights come from both sides and have diffusers on them. I have a 6.1 megapixel Kodak EasyShare camera with 3x optical zoom. I aim the lights at my beads coming from the front, angled in from the sides. No matter how hard I try, what zoom, what angle the light all I get is a yellow tinged pic. If I use the flash its slightly less yellow, but lots of glare.
I know I dont have a great camera, but I cant afford a new one (paid $250 for this one.) Do I need brighter bulbs? The pics are as sharp as can be but the color SUCKS. The larger wattage bulbs dont fit in the shop light to where I can put the diffusers on them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 2006-09-20, 5:30pm
I'm a lilac!

Replace the bulbs with these:

http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/spiral.html

Or these, making sure you choose the "5000 Kelvin" option:

http://www.buylighting.com/cart/purc...sp?pid=613&XPR

The key is in the "color temperature", which ius what giuves you a true "daylight" bulb. A lot of times "daylight" and "full spectrum" are used interchangeably, but they're not the same. A 5000k or 5100k color temperature will give you the results you want!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-09-21, 5:19pm

I went to Lowes and found some Sylvania Craft Bulbs, 30w 5000k, what a HUGE difference. Thanks so much for the tip about Kelvin. I would never have known to look for this.