Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-11-02, 6:22am

Default Epson Stylus Photo Printers

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Epson Photo Printers? Models R-800 and R-1800 particularly?

R-800 --> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=37472319
R-1800 --> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=53540919

Questions:

-- Do they consume ink at such a prodigious rate that it borders on the absurd? (As some reviewers attest?)
-- Do the printers happily accept heavier weight watercolor papers, such as 70 or 90 lb stuff? Or are you forced to use only Epson-brand paper?
-- Do you use it as your "regular" printer too? Or do you just save it for artsy stuff?
-- Are there different ink families that differ with regard to longevity and permanence?
-- Is the printer hard to calibrate and set up?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any experience with these fancy dancy photo printers.

Jan
Old 2006-11-02, 9:49am
Who me?

I have the Epson Stylus RX500 that was an all-in-one copier fax printer costing less than $200. It does everything as good as those you show that are more expensive.

As long as you get a printer that shoots the paper straight through, you can use almost any thickness paper you want.

The only thing I can say about Epson is that you will want to use ONLY Epson paper and ink as they are made for each other - I have tried generic and other brands of paper and the ink doesn't permeate the paper correctly and will not dry - sits on the surface - yucky.

I haven't noticed that the ink goes any faster than my HP here at work - in fact I think it lasts longer.

For photos, I would be sure to get an Epson that has five colors of ink in addition to black for best photos and buy your cartridges as needed - some colors last longer than others depending on your printing.

Oh and the calibration is a breeze with Epsons software. Mine rarely needs calibration.
Old 2006-11-02, 10:13am
I've got goodies!

After a bad bout with HP nearly a decade ago, I switched to Epson and haven't looked back since. AWESOME photo quality and, yes, you can use generic paper as long as it's quality paper. I use Hammermill photo paper all the time and it's just as good, if not better than Epson. (Depending on which type)

There are a couple other brands that are good too, but Hammermill was the 1st to come to mind.

Oh, and yes they are ink hogs if you have it set at the highest print quality. For most uses, you don't need the highest quality. I only used it for images going into my portfolio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Glassgoodies; 2006-11-02 at 10:17am.
Old 2006-11-02, 10:50am
In search of her path....

I had a bad deal with my epson printer the ink was horribley expensive even though i got a printer with seperate ink cartridges they held hardly any ink at all...I couldnt find generics tryed filling them myself disaster....it didnt print very n ice and didnt play well with other computers on my network very well so I went back to one of my older hps and sighed lol so I had opposite of glassgoodies hp's have always been good to me...

I got my mom a really cool canon printer at christmas and they have just absolutely loved it. Said it was awesome and they loved it had seperate cartridges for each ink color because they do lots of photo prints they can put through heavy paper no problem and the photos it prints are really amazing. and it wasnt anywhere near the price of the ones in your link it was less than $100 it was on clearance but still...I dont think they are even over $150 new.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-11-02, 11:24am

I have a Epson Stylus Photo 2200. I have been using it for about 2 years, have never had a bit of trouble with it, and love the pictures it gives me. It does go through lots of ink at the highest setting but I get professional looking photos at much lower settings too. I love it!!
Lori
Old 2006-11-02, 5:50pm
Slightly Askew.....

I have a Epson Stylus Scan that's on it's last leggs. I has worked wonderfully up until about 6 months ago. However it's about 7 years old. It did seem to consume a rather high amount of ink but that could also be my daughter printing up tons of debate info whenever I wasn't looking. I haven't decided if I'll go with Epson again or try something else.

Good luck with your search.
Charlotte

~A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~

Old 2006-11-02, 9:30pm

I have both the R-800 and R-1800 at my business. We do custom invitations on both of the printers. Much of the paper stock we use is 60 pound weight. We even print Christmas cards on the R - 1800. I like the fact that the ink cartridge colors are each separate. We do quite a bit of printing - the ink seems to last a long time. We don't use Epson paper but we do use Epson ink. I have been very pleased with both printers. The R - 1800 have the wider carriage and seems to be a little stonger. I hope this helps.
Freddy (gatorlassie)
Old 2006-11-03, 5:44am

Thank you one and all for your advice!

Glassgoodies -- When you say you use the highest quality printing setting for your photo image portfolio, does this mean that you can switch back and forth at will? Can you, say, print out your grocery shopping list in b+w at the lowest quality and then turn around and print a fine portfolio-quality photo right away, without physically changing the ink cartridges and so forth?

Freddy -- Thanks for the info on the heavy stock and not necessarily Epson brand paper too. I see there are no worries on that front. Good! And it sounds like your two Epsons are literally your workhorses and have stood up well. Good to know.

And of course today I see in the paper an ad for Epson's new line of printers: "New Ultra Hi-Definition Printers" --- Tag Line: "Your digital camera has finally met its match." They are here: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/L...seBVCookie=yes

From the prices, they appear to be consumer printers, rather than pro-level workhorses.

Hmmmmm.

With regard to Canon, I have never touched a gaget with the Canon name on it that hasn't almost instantly broken in my hand, whether it be a printer, a camera, lens, camcorder, a scanner, a copier (at work), or a calculator. If it's a Canon and it involves any moving or electronic parts, it's UTTER TOTAL CRAP in my opinion. I was very tempted to heave a Canon laser printer out of my 11th floor window one day a few years ago. The only Canon object that I have ever had that worked properly was a pair of binoculars.

Canon? No way! Never again. Been there. Not going back.

Even though I am sure that all my HP and Nikon stuff is made in the same factories in Thailand as all the Canon stuff, and probably by the exact same folks, there is still a problem between me and Canon. Irrational, perhaps. But there it is. Maybe all the Canon stuff is made on Fridays. Bad luck!

J
Old 2006-11-04, 6:49am

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 925 - it's kinda old, I've had it for something like 3 years. I can't say I love it... I like the printing quality, but it does consume a lot of ink. I don't use it that often, but when I do, I have to clean the heads before every time, which is annoying and wastes even more ink.
I haven't had any trouble using heavier paper.

|
|
|
Old 2006-11-04, 8:29am
Sandi

I recently had to replace my HP printer (never had anything but HP) and I bought an Epson Stylus CX4800 and I must say I love it....the colors are great and the print is dry when it comes out of the printer which is a nice feature. I printed on a piece of HP photo paper with no problems. I am still on the color cartridges that came with the printer and I have had it several months. I also like the fact that you can replace one color at a time (there are 3). I have replaced the black already but don't believe it was a full cartridge....I was told they were sample cartridges when I bought it but the colors are still going.

It also has slots for digital camera cards.

Sandi

Old 2006-11-04, 8:44am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMD
Thank you one and all for your advice!

Glassgoodies -- When you say you use the highest quality printing setting for your photo image portfolio, does this mean that you can switch back and forth at will? Can you, say, print out your grocery shopping list in b+w at the lowest quality and then turn around and print a fine portfolio-quality photo right away, without physically changing the ink cartridges and so forth?

J
Yes.