Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-10-13, 12:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post
Well it's gorgeous. Should think about making a tutorial, I'd pay for one.
I've actually thought about it, but my studio is the wrong shape. It's four feet wide, and my table is squeezed in one end, so I'd have to make something, turn around and walk a couple of steps for it to be photographed, turn back to the torch, and repeat About the best I can manage right now is classes.

It looks a bit more time consuming than it is. That one took 2-3 days. I have a photo somewhere of my Convergence II piece from last year, which was my first serious foray into 4-in-1, and took about 80 hours. I'll post a photo of it when I get home.

Sue, those are beautiful! I love the colors you got in the Sun Rings! That's where the biggest learning curve is for me -- getting all those gorgeous boro colors. (I'm a terrible lurker in this forum, trying to soak up all the boro knowledge I can )

Kim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-10-13, 4:30pm
Formerly Bakerman44

so i literally went out to the studio and tried this out within minutes of seeing it. I made a pretty successful first attempt with a bit of clear, but did not weave a chainmail pattern..just a short chain. The biggest problem was getting my loops the same gauge (i guess this is how you'd describe it). My best guess for the method im using (which may be completely incorrect and/or different from Kim's) would be that I'd have to make tons of jump rings then group them in similar gauge groups. Then hope i get enough of the same gauge to make some sort of chainmail.

What a beautiful piece, Kim and the respect i had for your work went up even higher after actually attempting it myself.

Old 2011-10-13, 4:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindleCat View Post

Sue, those are beautiful! I love the colors you got in the Sun Rings! That's where the biggest learning curve is for me -- getting all those gorgeous boro colors. (I'm a terrible lurker in this forum, trying to soak up all the boro knowledge I can )

Kim
Um, I'd love to take the credit but those are Val's and I agree with you. She does a fantastic job and the colors are gorgeous.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-10-14, 2:48am

Ha! Yes, the bit that says "Valerie Lewis" on the photo should have been a hint for me, shouldn't it?

Old 2011-10-14, 3:42am
Serenity Now!

Again Kim - FAB work!! I can totally relate to the teeny Studio thing! I'm So looking forward to seeing your Convergence piece! 80 hours ~ Hot damn!!

Thanks Kim and Sue for your kind words...
**Sue - I absolutely promise that when our paths meet again, I'll sit down with you and get you making rings in no time.

Someone asked about the 'gauge'. I mix my colors, and pull out stringers in the thickness I desire for the rings, then work off those pieces, fwiw. To practice, I suggest using 3 or 4mm clear rods.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2011-10-14, 5:10am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
The biggest problem was getting my loops the same gauge (i guess this is how you'd describe it).
Try wrapping them around a mandrel of some sort. By mandrel, I mean a cylindrical metal object, not necessarily a 3/16th" clay-coated stick. Maybe something between 1/8" to 1/2" depending on what you're aiming for.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-10-14, 8:45am
Formerly Bakerman44

yeah that's how i did it, Chris. I went out and bought a piece of aluminum rod..i think it's 3/8" if i remember correctly. But I made a second run at it last night adding to my chain. I made what i call a 2x3 section (until I figure out how to properly describe it). I'll keep working at it today until it gets big enough to tell what it is. Right now you have to be too purposeful in holding it to see what it is. I may go for a pot holder size or coffee coaster size. This is the pattern I have going though: http://jewellerymaker.files.wordpres...oye-gusari.gif
But when making the loops, I just found practice to be the answer for consistent gauge loops.

Old 2011-10-14, 5:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
I'm lucky enough if I can get a round loop on my pendants, let alone get a round maille link.
I understand COMPLETELY!

Old 2011-10-14, 7:38pm
I speak Murrini!

Wow, how completely beautiful and awesome! I love the delicate and fineness of that chain and the necklace in her Etsy...THUD! I want!!!

I have pined over this one from Jodi Sayles as well...for eons! I hope she never sells it...of course until she sells it ME! I'm still waiting until I have that kinda cash that I can dare part with though: http://www.etsy.com/listing/38880066...-link-necklace

Here's an older post by Jodi too...where she shows other glass chains she's made. I just LOVE them: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...33#post3049833

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-10-15, 6:16am

Here's a photo of that Convergence piece -- same weave as the bracelet, just on a larger scale.

Kim

Old 2011-10-15, 7:25am
Serenity Now!

My hat is off to you Kim - that's a heckuv'an awesome piece - it mustive taken you (almost) forever. Totally cool!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2011-10-15, 10:18am

Kim, I am in awe of your work. I tried a simple chain (similar to Jodi's) a few years ago...gave up after about 6 inches

Old 2011-10-15, 3:11pm
Borovangelist

Holy cow!!!

|
|
Old 2011-10-16, 6:03am
Karen James

I am at a loss for words. I'll go with WOW!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2011-10-16, 12:30pm
I speak Murrini!

STUNNING!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-10-16, 5:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
It's boro and they're thin. Not much need. But if you really wanted to, you could put them on a hotplate like this guy making glass chain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omEQK1Yz8Y
TYVM for sharing that link ... what a great story
Old 2011-10-16, 9:01pm
da General

Kim - when I first saw your Convergence necklace, I didn't believe it was glass! WOW!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-10-17, 4:39pm

Wow, Kim. Beautiful!!
I know that in metal you'd make a batch of jump rings by winding the wire around a dowel and then cutting vertically down the dowel in a straight line, separating the links. I wonder if you could make a graphite (or metal?) cylinder or rod with a groove in it, and cut the links down that groove when the glass is cold?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-10-18, 4:26am

Thanks all!

Jenny, that's a good question -- I've never tried it before, but it could be a way to do it that would end up with consistently sized rings, which would be great. The only thing that might cause problems is how much (if any) breakage of the stringer you'd have as you cut (but that's probably my lack of experience in cutting cold glass speaking -- my one and only time ended up with a bunch of shards and not much else. I was clearly not destined to be a fuser or a maker of stained glass ).

Kim

Old 2011-11-26, 8:56pm

I'm new to this site and this style of boro work is still new for me too. Kim I am amazed at those chains. They are are museum pieces IMO and the inspiration I've gotten from just viewing this is enormous thank you for showing us.