Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2011-02-12, 9:16am

Hey girls,

I live in the area and will be taking Astrid's glass, I have a friend who use to come up all the time. I've asked her to either chime in here, or let me know what place she always stayed at. Hopefully, it will be some help to you.

Desertsky...what airport are you coming into? O'Hare or Midway...makes a big difference. First of all, from either airport, it's a hike out to Naperville...all expressways and probably 25 to 30 miles. Did you check to see if there is a shuttle? Let me know, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Also....If you've never taken a class at Portia's, you are in for a real treat. Portia use to have a glass store that you would go crazy in, and the best source of beads! (I hope she still has it, since her remodel). It seems that every whim of your's is at her command...she is a class act, you'll be spoiled!

Kathie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kathie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-12, 2:04pm

Hi Kathie,

I just assumed that I should be flying into O'Hare. Am I wrong on that?

Also, I have hooked up with Nohline, who has graciously offered to be the driver, rather than having to take a shuttle. Hopefully, if we can get our schedules to coincide. Thanks for offering to help out.

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2011-02-12, 4:56pm

Hi everyone! I am driving in from Ohio on Friday. I'm waiting to see if someone can work for me Friday and if so, I will be arriving early afternoon. If I have to work I probably won't get there until at least 8pm. I can help with transportation if anyone needs.

Has anyone made a final decision on which hotel to stay at? Someone posted (in another thread) that she likes the Hampton. Can't remember who it was and haven't checked on the location or anything yet. I guess I'm no help! Lol
Old 2011-02-12, 5:54pm

I spoke to my friend and she said that she usually stayed at the Marriott Courtyard or the Hampton on Diehl Road. She prefers the Marriott Courtyard, said it was cleaner. The Hampton offered a breakfast, but it wasn't anything special, Courtyard did not offer anything.

I hope that helps.

Desertsky...yes, you'll be flying into O'Hare. There would be no shuttle from O'Hare to Naperville...and to take a taxi would $$$ you. It''s pretty easy from O'Hare...all expressway. If you need anything, let me know.

Kathie

Kathie

Old 2011-02-12, 6:01pm

Hi Jennilee,

I also read in a thread that someone recommended the Hampton. I am waiting on an ok from Nohline, and then I will book our room there.

As far as arrival days... I think we are looking at getting there on Friday, but staying Monday to do some sightseeing with Astrid and the group. It would be fun if we can get a bunch of us to stay and have some fun on Monday. I imagine we will be leaving early on Tuesday morning.

I look forward to meeting you and Kathie.

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2011-02-12, 6:04pm

Oops, Kathie posted while I was poking out a message on my keyboard!

Not sure where we want to stay now. I know the Marriott is a bit more expensive, but being clean is pretty important to me. Hmmm... I need to give this a bit more thought now.

Jeannie

Old 2011-02-12, 6:23pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

*****Sigh****** You guys are SO LUCKY!!!!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-02-13, 6:12am

Hello, ladies,

Would anyone happen to know Astrid's teaching schedule each day? If I can get into the class, I will fly in on Fri but have to leave Sun evening?

Side point....will we leave each day for lunch or order in?

Please confirm that Ohare is the best airport to fly in to.

Thanks,

Candace

Minor

Last edited by beybey; 2011-02-13 at 6:15am.
Old 2011-02-13, 8:17am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Important message!!!!

Firstly 2 extra days have been added, the 15th and 16th!
Then we are going to have a day on the town 14th, so if you can, plan this into your stay!
Looking forward to having a lot of fun....

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2011-02-13, 8:28am

Astrid
What is planned for the 15th & 16th? Would love to stay but I have a lady parts surgery scheduled for the 17th! EEk, thats cutting it close!

Was just speaking to Jeannie and I was thinking of flying in to Phoenix from California, then we could all hop the same flight to Chicago, pick up a car there. I am not scared to drive and we can then head out to Naperville. So Candace, you would have a ride. I will post my flight details here later today.

Thanks
Nohline
Old 2011-02-13, 10:05am

Nohline, that would be great. I will fly in any time on Friday. . Woo hoo

Minor
Old 2011-02-13, 10:37am
Addicted to Frit!!!

Hi Ladies,

Kathie asked me to chime in here since I've stayed at both the Courtyard Marriott and Hampton on Diehl Rd.

The Hampton is clean but the appearance is a little dingy (above the front desk is a HUGE water spot from the leaking toilet above...things like that) but the bed linens and rooms are clean.

The Hampton has a free continental breakfast and the Marriott you'll pay $10. Otherwise, they're similar. You can't go wrong with either.

Can't wait to meet you all!!
Robin

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Old 2011-02-13, 10:40am

Hi girls
I have booked my flight. Great idea about flying to Phoenix, but I would have to leave So Cal at 5 in the morning or make any Phoenix/Chicago connection. So I have booked directly from Orange County to Chicago O'Hare on American flight 1132 arriving at 5:40 pm. I think there are flights from Phoenix arrive at about 4 pm. Not too much choice for you guys. Anyway. I will pick up a car and then we need to figure out where to meet depending on your flights. Jeannie and Candace, perhaps you two can co-ordinate to fly together, since I guess you have to fly from Tuscon to Phoenix Jeannie? Not sure. Let me know.

I have then booked to fly back on Tuesday at 10 am so need to be at the airport by 8 and probably leave Naperville by 7 am.

Have a good one. This is going to be so fun!!!
Nohline
Old 2011-02-13, 12:10pm

I see Steph1214 (Queen of the Dots) has also registered for this class. Oooh it is going to be so fun!
Nohline
Old 2011-02-13, 12:57pm

Default Heat Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid Riedel View Post
Glasslass2,
It will be intermediate, besides the new techniques you will learn, you learn to have more HEAT control especially for stringer application on murrinis and beads.
I think this is a foundation for everything we do with glass.
Ugh, heat control...my nemesis! Well maybe it'll be a good weekend.

Bette
Old 2011-02-13, 1:17pm

Hi Everybody,

I booked mine and Nohline's room at the Hampton Inn.

I will be arriving in Chicago O'Hare at 5:45pm on Friday 11th.

I am leaving on Tuesday the 15th at 9:40am. That gives me one day of sightseeing with the group. Hurray!!

Nohline- My flight times are very similar to yours, so it looks like we will be able to match up our driving schedule. Hurray again!!

I am really looking forward to this class with Astrid and meeting all of you!!

Jeannie

Old 2011-02-13, 4:22pm

Hi Astrid,

Your coming to teach has whipped all us girls into quite an excited frenzy!! What did you mean by two extra days were added? Does that mean for sightseeing? If you are talking about any type of class activities my fingers are poised on my keyboard ready to make schedule changes.

Jeannie

Old 2011-02-13, 5:07pm

Oh I will change my flights too. As long as I can shower before surgery - heck I'm going to sleep anyway! Anything for beads! hee hee"
Nohline

Last edited by Nohline; 2011-02-13 at 5:21pm.
Old 2011-02-13, 9:27pm
Finding Sanity with Glass

Just signed up for the class!! How exciting!
Wendy

" border="0" />

Old 2011-02-13, 9:35pm
To bead Yeah! ;)

Ok girls, the 2 extra days will be the same programm as the first 2 days, so you will not miss out on anything. We added the days because the 12 -13th are full enough , I don't know if Portia can accomodate more on the weekend, please contact her for those details.

Astrid XX

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2011-02-14, 7:22am

Default Astrid Class

I'm in! I'm in! I'm in the weekend class with Astrid!!!!

Pardon me for jumping all up and down here. Astrid, I have been a fan of your work for quite a while now and it will be so much fun to learn from one of the top glass masters.

Thank you for coming to the U.S. and Portia thank you for the opportunity!!

Smiling all day now....

Bette
Old 2011-02-14, 7:32am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Bette, You made me smile too

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
Old 2011-02-14, 8:42am

I am completely self taught so this class is going to be a first for me. I apologize if this is a silly question, but could someone please enlighten me as to what we need to bring with us to class? Didy's, tools, glass? Thanks in advance for your help!

Jennifer
Old 2011-02-14, 12:18pm
To bead Yeah! ;)

Here is a little list of things to bring along:

1: Didy's
2: Glass cutter, the one with the round wheels!
3: If you have lentil press that would be good, if not bring your fav press.
4: a small knife, I use an old pocket knife as the handle does not get hot!
5: any tools you want to bring which you can't do without!

Astrid

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
Old 2011-02-14, 12:46pm

Candace
Any idea on your flight arrival time. That way we can carpool to the hotel?
Let us know.
Thanks
Nohline
Old 2011-02-14, 1:14pm

Nohline,

I PM'd you.

Minor
Old 2011-02-14, 7:07pm
grama punky - class junky

I am so sad. I finally got the funds together to sign up for this class and its full. I can only do the weekend so even though there is another class I cant get those days off. waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old 2011-02-14, 11:34pm

I'm thrilled to have gotten a seat in the second session. I can't wait to watch Astrid work her magic and of course, to see the lovely and gracious Portia again.

Gonna be fun!
Old 2011-02-16, 9:38am

Default Lentil Press

Hi Astrid,

What kind of lentil press would you recommend? I only have the small trio of lentils from Zoozii's, which of course are no where near the size you make.

And I have Jim Moore's Deep Lentil Tool, which I can never get enough glass in to make a nice lentil.

So I'm ready to add to my collection. I've never had great luck with the presses, but that's most likely because I don't spend enough time with them.

Your suggestions would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Bette
Old 2011-02-16, 10:38am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Bette, I use the 36mm x 18mm slim sided lentil press. (not straight sided)

I bought it while I was in Holland from Maria louise Wessels.
http://www.beadpress.nl/stempelwinke...=index&cPath=2

Probably better for you to buy something locally, as importing would take too long.

I recommend that you get atleast the 28 or 32 mm It always takes a bit of practise to "feel" how much glass you need, and we will learn how to get nice ends on them.
It is upto you if you like slim sided or straight sided.

Astrid

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!