AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2005-12-19, 11:48am
Puddy Cat Lover

Default Another Peacock Feather Toot (w/Iris Gold)

Hi Everyone,
I really appreciate all the tutorials that people share here. I especially loved the different peacock feather toots. I just wanted to share one too. I'm sure many of you have been playing with the reactive iris gold glass. Don't you just love the reaction with light brown encased? Well, here's another variation of these different glass colors raked into peacock feathers.

First make a stringer with moretti light brown #018
Next, make a bead in moretti light brown.
Roll the bead in light iris gold frit #0 (Got mine from Val)
Melt in.
Then make random dots around the bead with the stringer on top and bottom close to the mandrel. I used 6 on each side (Don't worry, it will spread toward the middle.)
Melt in.
Reapply stringer dots over the melted in dots.
Melt in.
Now let the bead cool slightly, then re-introduce it to the back of your flame, just to heat the surface. When the surface is soft again, you can rake.
Re-heat the bead to reshape, cool slightly, then encase with clear. I used Lauscha on this bead.
Anneal the heck out of it!

If you try this, please share your pics.
Have fun!!!
J.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by J. Savina; 2005-12-20 at 7:41am.
Old 2005-12-19, 12:04pm
*glass spaz*

That is gorgeous! I'm definitely going to try that once I get that frit! Thanks for sharing!

Old 2005-12-19, 7:39pm
oxygen deprived

Cool! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting!
Old 2006-01-11, 8:53pm
A Splash o' Glass

Your bead is beautiful. I couldn't wait to get home tonight to try it. I have one small rod of the light brown left and some light iris gold, but is chunkier. I love the iris gold, but have only used it to make stringer for raised gold decorations. I never would have thought of this combination. My bead doesn't look anything like yours but I love the colors that came out. I had a hard time seeing, even with my glasses, where I put down the initial light brown dots, in order to put on the second layer. But it still looks like it came out very pretty. It's in the kiln right now, so if I can get a decent picture, I'll post it. Thanks so much to you and everyone else for posting all these wonderful tutorials!
Old 2006-01-11, 11:20pm

I was searching for frit reactions and found that iris gold is supposed to react with light brown and straw yellow (or something like that?)...only those 2 colors, or has anyone else found more?...That reaction is beautiful and thank you for posting the tut J.!
Old 2006-01-12, 6:35am
Anna Duhame

WOW! That bead is gorgeous!!!! It is so subtle! I can't wait to try that out! I think that has to be the prettiest peacock bead I have ever seen!

Last edited by hummingbird3172; 2006-01-12 at 6:39am.
Old 2006-01-12, 9:19pm

way cool. I agree, great peacock, much better than what I tried (icky poo).

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-12-17, 9:10am
Glass-aholic

bump because this is beautiful, and so stylish right now!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-12-17, 9:14am
Meet Molly

Wow! Exactly like peacock feathers. I'll have to save this and give it a try when I have a chance.

Thank you for sharing!
Neomi
Old 2011-12-18, 11:18am

What am I doing wrong? The light brown makes baby poop colors when it comes out of the anneal stage (975)? Mine are U G L Y!

Help?

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2011-12-18, 5:11pm
Glass-aholic

975 is high. try something lower by 20-50 degrees. Compensate with a slightly longer soak time.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-01-04, 11:47pm

Thanks, Jaci for your help..........I was also using too much propane. Gave the flame more oxygen, and lowered the anneal - good looking bead!

Still cannot make it look like the picture, but the colors are wonderful!

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2012-01-07, 4:37pm
Practicing perfect

Beautiful bead. Thank you so much for sharing.

Old 2012-02-15, 4:30am
Puddy Cat Lover

OMG! I completely forgot I posted this tutorial. That was over 6 years ago. How time flies. I have only made a few more beads like this that sold many moons ago. I think I'll have to try this again as I still have a stash of Iris Gold frit. Thanks for bringing this to the surface again.

J.

Old 2012-02-15, 4:54am
Resident hippie

It is beautiful Jeanette.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-02-15, 3:52pm

So glad I came across this. I can't wait to try it.

Old 2012-02-20, 1:16pm
Lover of all things color

Gee, I'm glad it got bumped too, I would never have seen it. Now I have something to do with my Iris Gold...LOL

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-03-20, 2:52pm
Practicing perfect

Jeanette, thank you for your generous share. This is beautiful.

Old 2012-03-21, 9:18am
Puddy Cat Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Queen View Post
Jeanette, thank you for your generous share. This is beautiful.
You are very welcome! I hope I get to see some pictures of beads made with this little tut.

J.

Old 2013-11-18, 3:33pm

What a beautiful bead. I will have to give this a try. Thanks.