LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-07-20, 8:41am

Default "Crocheting" with glass??

An artist makes pieces from glass that look like crochet doilies and bowls. How do you suppose she does it? My first thought was she actually crochets a doily, then applies enamels and burns off the doily, but that would not leave the intricate stitches in the design.

Here's an article,

Here is her website. It claims "She crochets and knits with glass," and "each work has been individually knitted or crocheted by hand."

My guess is some sort of intricate mold, or slumping process, but I don't know how that would duplicate crochet/knitting on both sides. Thoughts?? I'm not looking to copy or imitate - such attempts would be futile. Just curious about how it works!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-07-20, 8:47am
Borovangelist

Huh, that's interesting. I have a couple of ideas, but they'd just be guesses.

|
|
Old 2013-07-20, 8:52am

That's something I've wondered about also. Can you imagine how hot the person/hands would have to be for the glass to be soft enough to manipulate and "crochet?"

Old 2013-07-20, 8:54am

My guess is bead weaving with cotton thread which burns off in the kiln, slumping into a shallow bowl shape?
Old 2013-07-20, 8:55am
Melody of Glass

Total guess but do you think she's crocheting seed beeds and then fusing them together in the kiln afterward?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-07-20, 12:46pm
Playing with Fire!

Glass fiber is extremely flexible when drawn down to fine strands, think fiberglass insulation, spun into thin yarn, and then crocheted into various forms. Spray with a glass flux for fusing, and then fire gently.

That is how we would do it, there are probably other methods that would yield something similar. Just stop thinking that glass is rigid and brittle in all of it's various forms... it is a truly remarkable material!

Playing with Fire!

Last edited by Ed_Slawson; 2013-07-20 at 3:09pm.
Old 2013-07-20, 1:07pm
Chief Creative Goddess

I *think* this is the right title--a very interesting book on how amazing glass really is!
Glass : from the first mirror to fiber optics, the story of the substance that changed the world
by Ellis, William S.

Old 2013-07-21, 12:08pm

That's amazing; I downloaded and enlarged the pictures; you can see the individual threads and teeny holes, like cotton crochet. It can't be fused beads, they would look clunkier when enlarged; I'm thinking Ed's gotta be right about glass fibers.
Old 2013-07-24, 2:46pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Thanks for posting this! I really love the pineapple patterned crocheted glass. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2013-07-25, 12:43am
Happy Inner Dragon

I'm thinking optical fibre of some sort also.
Silica wick used for vaping is glass.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2013-07-25, 1:44am

Wow! I expected them to look like glass formed to sort of resemble crochet, but she REALLY crochets! This is amazing!

Old 2013-07-25, 7:05am
uncouthful cats

It would take a fair amount of time to crochet one of those doily patterns with thread; I can't imagine how she can keep the whole thing fluid enough, yet tensile enough, for long enough to make one of her pieces. Incredible work. I'd LOVE to see a video of her working!

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2013-07-25, 11:07am

I used to do Porcelain lace draping and wonder if it is a similar method. Pure cotton lace was used. It was dipped in porcelain slip and then the slip was forced through the cotton and cleared of excess. when the object was fired, the cotton burned out and left the porcelain lace. that is how the lace is done on those lovely Dresden figurines. It is extremely delicate though and does not hold up to pressure well.
Old 2013-07-25, 11:26am

I would say these were cast, the mold being made from the knitted pieces but I've no idea if that's it. That's what it looks like to me though.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2013-07-25, 10:27pm

Found this on line. http://www.carolmilne.com/images/Knitting_glass_LO.pdf
Old 2013-07-25, 11:35pm
Naysayer

And there's this, which is like the above link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossar...lass_art_terms

Knitted glass, incorporates the techniques of knitting, lost-wax casting, mold-making, and kiln-casting.
Old 2013-07-26, 10:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofswords View Post
I used to do Porcelain lace draping and wonder if it is a similar method. Pure cotton lace was used. It was dipped in porcelain slip and then the slip was forced through the cotton and cleared of excess. when the object was fired, the cotton burned out and left the porcelain lace. that is how the lace is done on those lovely Dresden figurines. It is extremely delicate though and does not hold up to pressure well.
I would guess it was this technique too - I have some old Dresden Dolls where the skirts of the doll were actual fabric dipped in porcelain.

But looking closely at the photo I'm wondering if it isn't just fiberglass threads?

I used to crochet doilies w/ cotton thread and you have to make some very small, tight knots to get it to look like this with a tiny crochet hook so the thread would have to be extremely flexible and not break for it to work.

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2013-07-26, 1:43pm
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofswords View Post

WOW. Just wow. I love innovators!
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.