No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-10, 3:53pm
Resident Luny

Default "lab time" in a class

Hey teachers!

When you teach a class with multiple students, after demoing each bead, and setting them off to work on it themselves, how much time do you think is optimum for them to work before moving on to the next bead? I'm curious what people think works best....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2012-05-10, 3:57pm
Loving learning

Double what it takes you to do it? Just a guess, I really don't know. Maybe just watch them & see when most are finished?
I really think it would depend on if they are experienced or not in the various techniques called for to complete the bead I guess.
Old 2012-05-10, 8:37pm

Just finished up a class, and the instructor really only gave us time to make one bead of the style he demonstrated. I needed, personally, to make 2 of them so I could get the technique down. That said, I didn't have a lot of experience using some of the techniques, so I needed more "understanding" time.

Barbara
Old 2012-05-10, 9:09pm
too many rods in the fire

I think it depends on what other tools are offered by the instructor during the class.

If the instructor provides students with written handouts (sort of a step by step) then I would say allowing time for students to make one bead after the demo before moving on to the next demo might be fine.

But as Barbara stated, if the students are not familiar with the techniques, sometimes it is very helpful to have sufficient time to try the new skills a couple times to let them sink in before adding something else on top of it.

I have taken a couple classes where so much information is thrown at you so quickly that, by the time I went home, I had forgotten half of it. And it isn't always possible to take really good notes, although I do try in every class I take.

I can only speak for myself, but I personally get the most out of classes that teach me only a handful of new techniques and let me begin to get a good feel for them before moving on to the next batch.

Old 2012-05-12, 9:33am

the class I took gave us plenty of time to "play". she explained stringers - then gave us 15 - 20 min to pull some. then she explained twisties and gave us twist time. we usually had a lab time to make 4 or 5 beads. well depending on what technique we were doing and/or time we wanted to spend. this was a beginner class.
Old 2012-05-12, 10:49am

This was always a challenge for me. Everyone works at a different pace, but sometimes there is one person still working and the other 10 students are done. I always felt bad for the ones that were done, but at the same time I didn't want to start something else until the last one was finished. Most of the time the last student would say go ahead and I'll catch up. I would also ask the last couple of students how much more time they would need and try to time my next bead within that time frame and they would also know what was coming up and when.