No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-26, 10:20am
Life in the slow lane

Default Small corks for vessels

Does anyone know where I can get some small corks for vessels? I am using (I think) 1/4" rods for blowing. Now all I need are some corks because I'm not going to make handmade stoppers...unless it's for me. (Actually I'm just being lazy and practical.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-26, 10:37am
Pink-tini anyone?

Hi Starlia,

I just ordered some for the first time a couple of weeks ago from Jodi at www.beadworx.com. Have fun!

Old 2005-06-26, 10:40am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biaggiabeader
Hi Starlia,

I just ordered some for the first time a couple of weeks ago from Jodi at www.beadworx.com. Have fun!
Her's are tiny. If you are using Tink's hollow mandrels, they are way too small for them. I haven't found corks to fit Tink's mandrels yet except in a variety pack I got at Michaels. Of course now I have a bunch of bigger useless sizes too!

Old 2005-06-26, 10:49am
Life in the slow lane

I think they are the same size as Tink's hollow mandrels. I purchased a bunch for our local glass store and I'm pretty sure they are the same size. I do need some smaller ones for non-blown vessels though so that's a good resource.

Old 2005-06-26, 10:54am
Gentleman of Leisure

Check local hardware store... My local one has corks in various sizes from tiny to large in single item packages.

Dale
Old 2005-06-26, 10:56am
Life in the slow lane

I'll go to Zinger's tomorrow. The only other hardware stores we have are Lowes and Home Depot. I don't remember them having different size corks but I always love an excuse to go look.

Old 2005-06-26, 11:05am
Pink-tini anyone?

oops, sorry Starlia, guess I wasn't awake yet I haven't even used my hollow mandrels yet and was thinking of the hollow vessels I do on 1/16 mandrels. Glad someone sent you in the right direction!

Old 2005-06-26, 11:24am
Life in the slow lane

Not a problem Jane. I need those sizes too for when I do smaller vessels. Thank you!

Old 2005-06-26, 12:07pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Try here:

www.sciplus.com (American Science and Surplus) If they don't list the size you want, just ask, they have tons of bottles and cork like things. And they have a really fun wacky catalog, all pack rats should get one.

Teague
Old 2005-06-27, 11:30am
Life in the slow lane

I found some stoppers in the size I wanted and found some smaller ones for smaller vessels. After searching Lowes and Home Depot I decided to try Zingers. The size #00 stoppers were 17 cents and the smaller ones size #000 were 15 cents. I thought those prices very reasonable.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Old 2005-06-27, 11:59am
Martyrs don't bitch.

http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cf...LogFrom=Search

they have bags of 25 for $2.00

Teague
Old 2005-06-27, 3:42pm
Life in the slow lane

I checked out those sizes and they are bigger than the ones (size #00) than I purchased at Zingers. The #00s I purchased from Zingers were a bit smaller and fit better. (scratching my head about cork sizes)

Old 2005-06-27, 3:45pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Oh well that's a shame I guess.

Teague
Old 2005-06-27, 5:16pm
I'm a lilac!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...em=6184294544&

I don't remember for sure if this is the same person I bought them from before, but I think it is.

Old 2005-06-27, 5:54pm
Life in the slow lane

Thank you Kalera!

Old 2005-06-28, 5:56am
Safety ALWAYS

Got a Michael's nearby? I've gotten some teeny tiny ones there.