Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-02-11, 6:01pm
Melting

Default Sculpting question

Today at the torch I made this glass rose:

Whenever I make something sculptural I always give it several taps with my tweezer to make sure nothing will fall off. It seemed sturdy so I put it in the kiln. Then I made a second and as I was working on it my hand slipped and it tapped my table. The stem broke in several places, which was really strange because the stem was basically one long thick stringer. So, I reached into the kiln and tapped the first rose with the tweezers - same thing happened.

I am really curious why this happened. Does anyone have any insight? Would it have been fine if I had let it anneal?

TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2014-02-12, 8:49am

I'm not sure I understand the Q.....

Are you asking about making good connections? or how thin one can make rose stems?

and I Hate it when I drop a just about finished piece

Old 2014-02-12, 9:49am

you probably had more of a cold seal then a weld. it seems to me soft glass is super easy to weld...boro sometimes i need to get a pinpoint flame (love the gtt for this) and go around the connection point a time or two.
Old 2014-02-12, 10:59am
Melting

That would make sense to me if the leaves or petals had fallen off. But actually, it was the stem itself that broke in several places, and it was one long piece of glass. Basically a thick stringer. The leaves and thorns, etc, were all still attached to the broken pieces of stem.

So, I guess I'm asking why the thick stringer I pulled for the stem was so fragile, and how I can make it sturdier when I try again.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2014-02-12, 11:06am
Bernhard Riegler

if your glass was not hot enough when you pulled the stringer it will create stress in the glass. So, you can work it hotter or best of all anneal it - that should help make them stronger - hopefully

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2014-02-12, 11:11am
Melting

Thanks!! I'll do both and hopefully it will work out better!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2014-02-12, 4:44pm
Bernhard Riegler

Also, when you attached the petals/leaves you created a lot of stress in the stem. But annealing should take care of that.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2014-02-13, 6:40am
Melting

That makes sense. I wondered if that might have been contributing to it. Thanks!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2014-02-15, 1:17pm

yes, the stress in the 'stringer' ends up being at the hot-cold transition area, usually beyond where the actual element (thorn, petal, etc) is welded. So when you anneal in the flame, you need to feather in the heat a little farther out than just the pinpoint area of the weld.

Old 2014-02-15, 3:09pm
Melting

Ok, thanks for the tip. I will try that as well.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2014-03-07, 12:21am

that looks thin, it might just be because its made of glass