Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-08-02, 4:34pm
Glass my new Obsession

Default Silver foil and Pixie dust

Quick question from a newbie can You use silver foil or pixie dust with boro?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-02, 7:27pm

I'd like to know the answer to that, too. I made a boro bead the other night and used a small piece of fine silver wire. It turned out horrible. barf

Old 2010-08-02, 8:23pm
ManBearPig

No on both counts. The melting temp is too hot.

Old 2010-08-02, 9:53pm
Borovangelist

I've used the foil...but it doesn't come out like it does in soft glass, you wind up vaporizing it, but you can get some neat effects with it

silver and black gets you some neat blues, for example.

|
|
Old 2010-08-02, 10:57pm
Glass my new Obsession

Good things to know

Old 2010-08-03, 6:11am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
I've used the foil...but it doesn't come out like it does in soft glass, you wind up vaporizing it, but you can get some neat effects with it

silver and black gets you some neat blues, for example.
It does the same thing as fuming with silver.

Old 2010-08-03, 3:46pm
boro color bender

Not really... it makes neat little balls... fuming can do that if you really boil your silver and spatter it on the glass, but i like foil on boro... never tried pixie dust...

and as for the wire, it can turn black and nasty looking... but that's just on the surface... you can polish with some rouge and a polishing wheel... I actually do this with glass that has metal on the surface... looks neat! Shines right up.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-08-03, 4:21pm
Borovangelist

from what I've heard, pixie dust burns up at boro temps.

|
|
Old 2010-08-03, 6:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post

and as for the wire, it can turn black and nasty looking... but that's just on the surface... you can polish with some rouge and a polishing wheel... I actually do this with glass that has metal on the surface... looks neat! Shines right up.
Oops, guess I shouldn't have thrown it away.

Old 2010-08-03, 7:21pm
Borovangelist

Yeah, that was probably just fire scale

|
|
Old 2010-08-04, 5:36am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
Not really... it makes neat little balls... fuming can do that if you really boil your silver and spatter it on the glass, but i like foil on boro... never tried pixie dust...

I've only used it once. It just colored the glass like fuming does. I wasn't a fan.

Old 2010-08-04, 10:44am
Madmanmarbles

Here is a layer of silver foil with gold on the outside... I love using silver foil with boro...
You have to take your time, but I love the results... So depending on what you want to do with it, Yes it works fine as far as the silver foil or leaf goes...
Up close you can see the beads of silver that make this look almost outerspace like...
Attached Images

[color="Red"] Chettah
Old 2010-08-08, 8:42am
Pyromaniac

I've used silver foil with boro and for me it turns golden and balls up which is a nice effect.
Encasing quickly keeps it from burning off the surface. This bead cracked, but you can see the beads of silver that look like gold bubbles on the edges below the encasing. The base was black, then wrapped in silver foil and encased in clear, so you get green, blue, and golden bits.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-08-17, 8:19am

I wrap a very very fine ga fine silver wire (NOT SS) around beads occasionally before I encase and it comes out as gold dots. The hard part is getting the wire to stick before it totally melts.