LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-18, 11:22pm

Default How much do I need to reduce to get gold?

I've been playing with Reichenbach reduction glasses lately, mostly in the form of raised stringer decorations. I can usually get the gold/silver metallic shine to come to the surface pretty easily, but when the beads come out of the kiln, the stringer had a duller almost Hematite-like finish from the top, with the metallic shine apparent when the bead is looked at from an angle. Am I reducing the glass too much/too little. I've used several types of black glass as a base, so I don't think the type of glass has any effect on the reduction effects. I'm trying to create a black bead with raised gold stringer scrollwork. Any suggestions?
Carol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-19, 12:01am
Viking Flame Keeper

Larry Scott told me in the class I took with him that the final colour of the reduced stringer depends on your base bead colour. The reduction stringer is a transparant and the light relects through the glass and bounces of the base bead back into the reduction stringer.
So, with some base bead colours you get more of a silver stringer and with others gold. All according to Larry! I haven't experimented much with this yet.

But I think it sounds like you are reducing to much if you get a hematite look to the stringer!

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2006-12-19, 12:29am
Entropy increasing....

You also might have something going on in your kiln. Maybe it's reducing them further during the annealing cycle?
Old 2006-12-19, 12:34am
In spite of it all!

Are you using an electric or a gas kiln? What size is the inside of the kiln/annealing chamber?

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2006-12-19, 8:19am

I've read that a tiny amount of charcoal in the kiln keeps the finish, takes oxy out the kiln atmosphere.