LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-08-09, 6:13am

Default Home inspection?

For those of you who run your glass business out of your home, have you ever had to have your work space examined by a building inspector or someone from the fire department? I live in Cary, NC, and that is what I have been told will happen next in my quest to become an official (and legal) business owner. I'm a little nervous about what I may have overlooked as far as safety issues are concerned. Any pointers out there? I have a ventilation system, a fire extinguisher, clear access to exits... I'm not going to be teaching at home or having customers come by or anything. It's just me. Any pointers would REALLY ease my mind!
Old 2007-08-09, 7:24am

I know Cary is a PITA from when I was there. I wasn't doing glass at the time, but was doing silver work. I decided to live down towards Sanford and commute to work in Cary instead.

The big thing you will need to make sure of is that you have your gas supply outside and piped into the building properly. Also you need to make sure that your ventilation duct is not blowing into someone else's house. A lot of the places in Cary are fairly close together and this could be a problem.

Also, I would look at adding at least another fire extinguisher to your shop. I like one right by where I am working, and another by the entry/exit doors and maybe another along the way in case it is very far. You may want to add a fire blanket to the main safety area of your shop along with a first aid kit. I would call the fire department and see what they recommend.

I would also make sure that the people you talk to know that you will not be having other people in your shop as customers or employees. Also be sure that you have worked out with your insurance company what insurance coverage you will need since most policies will need to have a home business rider added or a separate policy written to cover the business.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-08-09, 8:48am
Gentleman of Leisure

Have all fuel tanks outside and clearly marked... This is a big plus with fire officials. Fuel piped in has to be in metallic piping and be sure gas cutoff valve (inside ) is clearly marked and that it is easy accessible.

Clear all flammables away form torch area, (at least all the practiacal ones)...

Clean and neat appearance implies a safe area...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-08-09, 8:58am

Thank you both SO much for the tips! No worries with tanks, I use natural gas that was connected by the gas company and an oxy concentrator. Also, the vent is actually tied into the same system that works our down-draft stove top, and it doesn't blow towards the neighbor's house. I considered a second extinguisher, so I think I'll get one of those today, but I hadn't thought about the labeling of the gas switch, or of the fire blanket. I also don't have a first aid kit downstairs, so I'll put one of those together. I have specificly stated in the permit forms that I won't have clients in the studio, but I'll definately re-state that when they come to check things out. And I've been busting my hump cleaning the place up for a while now, so I think I'm OK (at least in my working area. The rest of the basement still needs some work, but it's not terrible).
Old 2007-08-09, 9:18am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair View Post
.... Also, the vent is actually tied into the same system that works our down-draft stove top, and it doesn't blow towards the neighbor's house. ....

This bothers me...... First most stove vent systems are not designed to carry volume of air required for glass work ventilation, also studio ventilation should have dedicated outlet so it does not blow back through range hood and contaminate whole house....

Your ventilation is not the best possible design, buts thats just my opinion..

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-08-20, 1:44pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

Hi Blair
I just got back from the court house to get my FBN and to do so I had to go to the planing dept. and guess What when I first walked this guy said "I'll take this it will be easy...then he read the type of business and laughed! Then he said I'll have to talk to the "fire guy" who is out on a fire. Then they will have to do an inspection and on and on.
Then I laughed (to myself) I can see where I need to do some work where I've just been getting by , like the extention cord to my kiln, the hole in the wall where the fan should be, the old might or might not work fire extinguisher and the list goes on and on.

Blair let me know how things go for you.

Hay does anyone know if our homeowner insurance will go up because of this?
Kare

Old 2007-08-20, 2:49pm
old fart

for a number of reasons, if you do not plan to give lessons in your studio, or if you do not plan to sell out of your studio (you can still sell via ebay or a website), it is better to call your home studio a "hobby studio" to avoid insurance and inspection issues. if you do plan to give lessons, or have a home gallery where people will be coming and going, you will need to pass all of your local building inspection regulations for a business, plus carry a large business insurance policy. but if all you plan to do at home is produce the glass, you can call it a hobby studio an save youself a lot of hassle. even if it is a hobby studio, you can still claim a home office credit on schedule C of your tax forms.

Old 2007-08-20, 5:33pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

Is there anyone out there that has had an inspection, just to do the glasswork out of their home and sell online or at craft fairs? If so what were the inspectors looking for, or what was required? Exits, fire extinguisher, fans, outside gas, flammables in the same area. What else should might they be a stickler on?

The more help the better!
Thanks Kare

Old 2007-08-20, 9:06pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
for a number of reasons, if you do not plan to give lessons in your studio, or if you do not plan to sell out of your studio (you can still sell via ebay or a website), it is better to call your home studio a "hobby studio" to avoid insurance and inspection issues. if you do plan to give lessons, or have a home gallery where people will be coming and going, you will need to pass all of your local building inspection regulations for a business, plus carry a large business insurance policy. but if all you plan to do at home is produce the glass, you can call it a hobby studio an save youself a lot of hassle. even if it is a hobby studio, you can still claim a home office credit on schedule C of your tax forms.
Definitely the way to go if you haven't already contacted anyone official. I wouldn't take the chance of having someone tell me that it was not possible to run my business.
Old 2007-08-22, 8:18am
William Hagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by country kid View Post
Is there anyone out there that has had an inspection, just to do the glasswork out of their home and sell online or at craft fairs? If so what were the inspectors looking for, or what was required? Exits, fire extinguisher, fans, outside gas, flammables in the same area. What else should might they be a stickler on?

The more help the better!
Thanks Kare
A fire/safety inspection is dealing with just that.......is your studio safe? and is it prepared for in case of emergency. If it is not a public venue they city officials may have no interests in your studio at all......if so it is just to insure you do in fact operate a business in your home (tax credit available) and that if needed they have you listed storing various liquids such as compressed gases/liquids,etc.....

Lampworking studios are rather simplistic and I have seen people who work in a complete fire hazard/mess/with glass dust everywhere/propane inside.... and it never bothered them at all.

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2007-08-23, 11:46am

If I was having an inspection and did not plan to have customers in a room, I would make a sign saying no public access (or something similar). That way it was on the permit, in print on site, and verbal. Just a thought.
Old 2007-08-25, 7:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
This is really good information.
Thanks for the heads up,