Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-03, 7:31am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I think that's what a few of us have been trying to tell you in this thread . . . that Jack and UO have come a long way since two years ago when your husband received those M-20s that didn't live up to specs. . . therefore it's only fair to test the more current machines like the M-15s.

And more people from the community have chimed in and agree that comparing all the machine and machine(s) in the $1500 price range would be awesome for us to really have a good basis to make our purchasing decision!
Hayley, I am gathering data from all kinds of machines. Anyone who wants to can sort the machines by price point and compare them. I'm not against that, I'm just saying that I am not limiting myself to just those comparisons.
Old 2008-06-03, 7:35am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
You're not crazy, you're perfectly pragmatic. Considering that a single Regalia costs more then two M15's, a valid comparison would be the capacity of a single Regalia against twined M15's. The only truly important measurement is how much capacity is available for how many dollars. If you're prepared to put out $1500, which would provide the most capacity - a single Regalia or two M15's in tandem?
But then, you should factor in things such reliability, longevity, and cost of ownership. It's twice as expensive to rebuild two compressors than it is to rebuild one. It costs twice as much to run two machines as it does one.
Old 2008-06-03, 7:51am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
But then, you should factor in things such reliability, longevity, and cost of ownership. It's twice as expensive to rebuild two compressors than it is to rebuild one. It costs twice as much to run two machines as it does one.
The cost to run a machine is pennies. Not even a factor in the grand scheme of things. If you're getting much more pressure and volume out of running two, then it's even more of a non-issue. If the out put was identical, that may be a very small selling point.

The M series UO sells are also serviced and rebuilt by them after the warranty is up for a very reasonable rate... last I checked anyway. I'll check with Jack again and see just how much it would be to rebuild one after warranty expiration.

How much is it to get a Regalia rebuilt after their warranty expires?

Also, the Regalia has it's own limitations... it's a machine and it will break down. What's the warranty on those again?

How many hours does the longest one in operation that you know of have on it?

Have tests been run on this machine to see what it's output and purity is?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-06-03, 8:56am

Hey Mr.S/Jack, et. al.:

All those questions you're asking Kimberly about the Regalia in the previous post, I'd also love to know the answers to regarding the UO concentrators, especially the M10 and M15, and any other concentrator/generator manufacturers who may be reading.

Stats and data would be most helpful.

Best,
Patti
Old 2008-06-03, 10:50am
da General

Quote:
You're not crazy, you're perfectly pragmatic. Considering that a single Regalia costs more then two M15's, a valid comparison would be the capacity of a single Regalia against twined M15's. The only truly important measurement is how much capacity is available for how many dollars. If you're prepared to put out $1500, which would provide the most capacity - a single Regalia or two M15's in tandem?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
The cost to run a machine is pennies. Not even a factor in the grand scheme of things. If you're getting much more pressure and volume out of running two, then it's even more of a non-issue. If the out put was identical, that may be a very small selling point.

The M series UO sells are also serviced and rebuilt by them after the warranty is up for a very reasonable rate... last I checked anyway. I'll check with Jack again and see just how much it would be to rebuild one after warranty expiration.

How much is it to get a Regalia rebuilt after their warranty expires?
I have to agree with Brent that the cost of running an additional machine is minimal. I can't find the specs on the Regalia so can't do a true comparison. The M-15 is 5 amp, 550 watts. It takes less than 7 cents an hour to run an additional M-15 in San Francisco and we prolly have one of the highest electricity rate at $0.11556 per Kwh.

$0.1156 x 0.55 = $0.066

Considering I have two machines that output 15 psi / 16 lpm instead of one that outputs 7-9 psi / 10 lpm, 7 cents an hour is a small price to pay for the added ooomph, imho.

As for rebuilding two compressors . . . the Regalia needs its compressor rebuilt every 10,000 hours . . . for a full-time lampworker, it's every 4-5 years. That's awesome! But with one machine, what does one do in the meantime when the ONE machine is in the shop? How long does it take to rebuild a compressor anyway, does anyone know?

I also love the fact that on every UO machine is Jack's phone number. When one of my M-15s needs service, I can call Jack directly and he will take care of me. . . in the meantime, I can still make do with just one M-15.

Actually one M-15 powers the inner Piranha of my Barracuda perfectly fine . . . sometimes I don't even turn the second M-15 on when I know I don't plan on powering the outer flame.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-06-03 at 10:54am. Reason: typos
Old 2008-06-03, 10:54am
PyronamixK

Brent just posted to an old thread asking me a question about the Lynx's flow rate. Since some of you have asked about GTT's flow rates and oxygen concentrator output, I thought it would fit into this thread, as well.

Here is my post and his question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley from another thread
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
At 10 psi or 100 psi? For a normal top-end flame, the Lynx consumes 14 cfu/hr oxygen and 4 cfu/hr gas. At this setting, it is capable of making a 2" boro marble.

I run the centerfire of my Phantom (the Lynx) on an Integra10. It puts out 10 LPM at 9 psi. I would say that it runs it at about 90%, and I live at a high altitude. The makers of the Integra10, Sequal, have come out with a new unit called the Regalia. It gives the same performance as the Integra10, but has a digital read-out, which makes it nice to "set it and forget it."

So, as far as concentrators go, the Integra10 or Regalia would be my recommendation.
Are you saying the Lynx only needs 6.6 LPM to run at 100%?
Here is my answer:

At the right psi, it does. Of course, I'm talking about the maximum usable flame on a typical Lynx.

On tanked oxygen, the Lynx reaches its maximum usable flame at 12-13 psi. So, at 15 psi, it's already topped out. So, even running more than 15 psi, you won't be getting anything more out of the torch. I believe the flow rates were taken at 20 psi, but they should be the same at 15 psi, because the torch isn't eating more at 20 than at 15 (since it's already maxed out at that point). It's eating right about 7 liters of oxygen per minute for the maximum usable flame.

So, an M-15 should be more than adequate to power a Lynx to its full capacity. It should be able to push the torch past its peak into the range of an unusable flame. If it can't, then there is something off with the machine and it may not be putting out a true 8 LPM at 15 psi.
Old 2008-06-03, 12:45pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Brent just posted to an old thread asking me a question about the Lynx's flow rate. Since some of you have asked about GTT's flow rates and oxygen concentrator output, I thought it would fit into this thread, as well.

Here is my post and his question:

Here is my answer:

At the right psi, it does. Of course, I'm talking about the maximum usable flame on a typical Lynx.

On tanked oxygen, the Lynx reaches its maximum usable flame at 12-13 psi. So, at 15 psi, it's already topped out. So, even running more than 15 psi, you won't be getting anything more out of the torch. I believe the flow rates were taken at 20 psi, but they should be the same at 15 psi, because the torch isn't eating more at 20 than at 15 (since it's already maxed out at that point). It's eating right about 7 liters of oxygen per minute for the maximum usable flame.

So, an M-15 should be more than adequate to power a Lynx to its full capacity. It should be able to push the torch past its peak into the range of an unusable flame. If it can't, then there is something off with the machine and it may not be putting out a true 8 LPM at 15 psi.
Good to know what GTTs recommendations are. Thanks for the reply. It would be helpful to know what GTT says about the Cheetah and Phantom as well. Can you please give us those numbers?

I've got a lab quality in line flow meter on it's way. I will be hooking it up to a Lynx, a Cheetah, a Phantom, a Betta, a Cuda and a Minor all on tanked oxygen. I'll try to find a mini as well. I'll adjust the largest usable flame for the torch and take note of the actual flow (LPM) of oxygen used to power these torches to 100%. This will once and for all give us the numbers we need to match up concentrators to torches. I'll take pics of the flame and the flow meter reading as I do the tests.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-06-03, 2:31pm
da General

Quote:
Good to know what GTTs recommendations are. Thanks for the reply. It would be helpful to know what GTT says about the Cheetah and Phantom as well. Can you please give us those numbers?

I've got a lab quality in line flow meter on it's way. I will be hooking it up to a Lynx, a Cheetah, a Phantom, a Betta, a Cuda and a Minor all on tanked oxygen. I'll try to find a mini as well. I'll adjust the largest usable flame for the torch and take note of the actual flow (LPM) of oxygen used to power these torches to 100%. This will once and for all give us the numbers we need to match up concentrators to torches. I'll take pics of the flame and the flow meter reading as I do the tests.
That's awesome, Brent! Can't wait to get the results!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-06-04, 6:00am
boro color bender

I only get an answer to a simple question after bringing up an old thread. I've asked for the oxy flow requirements for GTT torches several times. Others have said they would like this information as well.

Kimberly, you are the wife of one of the owners of GTT. You own a concentrator business and I assume you tell your customers what will work, based on the torch specs. I'd like to be able to see the data GTT has collected on their torches. You have said that you have posted them, but I can't find the oxy requirements for anything other than a Lynx. You said you would post that information in a new thread, but that hasn't happened either.

Can you please post this data?

GTT should have it readily available, especially to you. If they don't have it and you don't have it, just say so. I'm beginning to wonder why it's being avoided.

Old 2008-06-04, 7:23am
Flamewoman

I'm almost afraid to post in this thread, but here goes.
Three years + ago I purchased directly from Jack at UO the old M20. It worked great with my minor, and is still working great & on it's second owner who is using it with a minor as well. I bought the Hurricane from Jack at the beginning of the year. While I have no figures to quote, I must say that I love it. I would buy from Jack again, he has always answered any of my questions, and has affordable prices. Keep up the good work Jack, I hope this thread hasn't stressed you out too much. There are likely lots of people like me, who have purchased one of your machines, ( or 2 )( and love them) and are just too intimidated to post here.
The Lynx is a great torch, and the Hurricane allows me to explore it's capabilities at a price I could afford.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-06-04, 8:01am
szglassy

Talking

Could someone please test a Carlisle " cc " and post the results for BOTH concentrators??

Much appreciated!
Old 2008-06-04, 8:05am
boro color bender

I'll see if I can get a CC to run the test to see what it uses (LPM).

After that, it's just a matter of matching up the volume and pressure you need to run it.

I'll do my very best to get my hands on all sorts of torches to test.

Old 2008-06-04, 8:28am
PyronamixK

I have indeed already posted oxygen consumption data on several threads on this forum for the GTT torches including the Bobcat, Lynx, Cheetah, Phantom, and Mirage. I have posted the consumption rates for other GTT torches elsewhere, as well. I have also posted the consumption rates for several other torches from other companies. I'm surprised that you couldn't find any of that. The data is there, no one's hiding anything. Wally has always been forth-coming with that information to people who ask him about it, not just to me. I just have not had the time to put together a chart for you. I'm very busy right now. And if I have missed anyone's questions or concerns in this thread, it's because I have been very busy and this thread has grown so quickly. I'll try to go back and pick up on what was missed.
Old 2008-06-04, 8:34am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Three years + ago I purchased directly from Jack at UO the old M20. It worked great with my minor, and is still working great & on it's second owner who is using it with a minor as well. I bought the Hurricane from Jack at the beginning of the year. While I have no figures to quote, I must say that I love it. I would buy from Jack again, he has always answered any of my questions, and has affordable prices. Keep up the good work Jack, I hope this thread hasn't stressed you out too much. There are likely lots of people like me, who have purchased one of your machines, ( or 2 )( and love them) and are just too intimidated to post here.
The Lynx is a great torch, and the Hurricane allows me to explore it's capabilities at a price I could afford.
Why would you be afraid or intimidated to post here? No one has been ugly to anyone who runs an UO unit.

This thread, though, was started to report oxygen analyzer results. If you would like to have your machine tested with an analyzer and then post the objective data, then that would be most welcome.
Old 2008-06-04, 8:35am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by szglassy View Post
Could someone please test a Carlisle " cc " and post the results for BOTH concentrators??

Much appreciated!
The CC consumes 80 cubic feet of oxygen per hour.

But, see, here is where it gets involved... I could just give you that number, and you might get discouraged and think that you would never be able to run a CC on a concentrator or generator. Well, it really depends on what you want to do. There are different options. It takes more than a chart to diagnose a proper fit.

BTW, if you use a CC at full blast most of the time, then a Pro-8 would completely power it. I believe that a Quad-100 would, as well, but I have not yet tested one on that machine. I am a distributor for both On-Site and SeQual.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2008-06-04 at 8:39am.
Old 2008-06-04, 11:30am
boro color bender

I can definitely understand busy. Since you took the time to post the requirements of the CC, can you also post for the Cheetah and the Phantom? I don't need a chart. Just the SCFH or LPM data.

Old 2008-06-04, 3:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Hey Mary, thanks for your kind words. I dont get too stressed. Are you the one who asked me if my warranty would be good for the new owner? If not, the warranty does follow the machine. So she is covered. jack
Old 2008-06-04, 3:35pm

Hey Dennis, can you post the formula for lpm conversion to cubic feet per hour. I think people need to understand these are not the same. Its like taking the lpm (say 5) and multiply it almost times 2. So 5 lpm would be a little more than 10 cubic feet per hour. I cant remember the exact formula. jack
Old 2008-06-04, 3:55pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxydoc View Post
Hey Dennis, can you post the formula for lpm conversion to cubic feet per hour. I think people need to understand these are not the same. Its like taking the lpm (say 5) and multiply it almost times 2. So 5 lpm would be a little more than 10 cubic feet per hour. I cant remember the exact formula. jack
Here's a conversion chart for litres to cubic feet:
http://www.metric-conversions.org/cg...4&from=2&to=14

My calculations:

5 lpm = .017 cu ft x 60 min = 10.2 cu ft per hour
10 lpm = .35 cu ft x 60 min - 21 cu ft per hour

Hope this helps people understand the difference.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-06-04, 4:02pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:

I don't know about others, but I'm a whole lot more interested in what each torch requires then any comparison between concentrators. A comprehensive list of torch requirements would be enormously beneficial to everybody in the industry.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-06-04, 4:11pm
Gay rights R human rights

Amen to that Dennis

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-06-04, 4:24pm
da General

I started this . . . hopefully will fill in more numbers.

Got the Bethlehem numbers from its website, Carlisle numbers from its product sheets, GTT numbers from Kimberly's previous posts, Nortel site doesn't show anything . . . does anyone have Knight website URL?

Bethlehem
Minnow – 9.4 LPM / 20 CFH
Betta – 5.7 LPM / 12 CFH
Barracuda – 19.9 LPM / 42 CFH
PM2D-WC – 30.8 LPM / 65 CFH

Carlisle
Mini CC – 7 LPM / 14 CFH
Wildcat – 15 LPM / 30 CFM
Hellcat –

GTT
Bobcat – 4.7 LPM / 10 CFH
Lynx – 6.6 LPM / 14 CFH
Cheetah – 10.3 LPM / 22 CFH
Phantom – 18.9 LPM / 40 CFH

Knight
Little Dragon 7-jet –
Little Dragon 21-jet –
Bullet –
Dragon Fire –

Nortel
Minor –
Mega Minor –
Midrange Plus –
Red Max –
Rocket –

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-06-04 at 4:35pm.
Old 2008-06-04, 5:07pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
I started this . . . hopefully will fill in more numbers.

Got the Bethlehem numbers from its website, Carlisle numbers from its product sheets, GTT numbers from Kimberly's previous posts, Nortel site doesn't show anything . . . does anyone have Knight website URL?

Bethlehem
Minnow – 9.4 LPM / 20 CFH
Betta – 5.7 LPM / 12 CFH
Barracuda – 19.9 LPM / 42 CFH
PM2D-WC – 30.8 LPM / 65 CFH

Carlisle
Mini CC – 7 LPM / 14 CFH
Wildcat – 15 LPM / 30 CFM
Hellcat –

GTT
Bobcat – 4.7 LPM / 10 CFH
Lynx – 6.6 LPM / 14 CFH
Cheetah – 10.3 LPM / 22 CFH
Phantom – 18.9 LPM / 40 CFH

Knight
Little Dragon 7-jet –
Little Dragon 21-jet –
Bullet –
Dragon Fire –

Nortel
Minor –
Mega Minor –
Midrange Plus –
Red Max –
Rocket –

Hope this helps.
Thanks for posting that, Hayley, but the number for the Bobcat is incorrect. I had corrected the original post back then. 10 CFH would be for a soft glass flame, not the largest usable flame. The same thing applies to those numbers for the Mini CC and the Hellcat. Those numbers are for what they call "standard usage." Usage for boro is actually quite a bit more.

The quick way to convert from CFH to LPM is to just multiply by 0.472.

It's interesting to see how this thread has gone off track. The topic is concentrator output.
Old 2008-06-04, 5:22pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
It's interesting to see how this thread has gone off track. The topic is concentrator output.
Has it gone off track or has it been redirected to where it more appropriately and more importantly should have started?

I'm pretty sure you'll find there's a lot of people interested in torch performance requirements. If you're sincere about serving the needs of the glass community, how 'bout you put your efforts into filling in the blanks in that list? I look forwards to being able to offer an accurate and comprehensive list on my website so my customers will know what concentrators are needed to operate different torches - or maybe even the reverse, how much bigger a torch they can justify without replacing their existing concentrator.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-06-04, 5:23pm

seems odd if not rude that a vendor cant lift a phone and call the manufacture for torch specs. they rather bug the wife of a owner for that. Any of you UO guys married? ok if we call yours wifes and bug them about where our purchase are or why we havent recieved tracking info, things of that nature? really unbeliveable. dont ask others to provide you with your homework. get informed from the source. thanks Hayley for providing the chart. thanks for nothing UO guys.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-06-04, 5:30pm

I'll add that now Hayley and Kimberly have provided yet some more information. Uo and it vendors as far as I can see offered nothing but buy the cheapest unit on the market. if you are in the game of selling O2 machines shouldn't you already have the information to server you clients right infront of you? or is it about making a buck on the cheapest unit available. its sounds that way to me more and more.

------------------------
Old 2008-06-04, 5:36pm

interesting tit bit. back in the day that VW came out with the beetle they made claim that it was the cheapest car in it weight class. problem was that volvo had a car thats sticker price was in fact cheaper. thing was Volvo didnt want to be viewed as cheap but well made and let VW claim the cheapest. having owned both, volvo hands was by far the superior car. built to last.

------------------------
Old 2008-06-04, 5:49pm
da General

Quote:
Thanks for posting that, Hayley, but the number for the Bobcat is incorrect. I had corrected the original post back then. 10 CFH would be for a soft glass flame, not the largest usable flame. The same thing applies to those numbers for the Mini CC and the Hellcat. Those numbers are for what they call "standard usage." Usage for boro is actually quite a bit more.

The quick way to convert from CFH to LPM is to just multiply by 0.472.

Thanks for pointing that out, Kimberly . . . will you please give me what the number should be for the Bobcat so I may update the info accordingly?

I will be happy to start a completely thread with this info and ask for help in filling in the blanks if you feel that I am hijacking your thread. Let me know please! Thanks.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-06-04, 6:01pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Has it gone off track or has it been redirected to where it more appropriately and more importantly should have started?

I'm pretty sure you'll find there's a lot of people interested in torch performance requirements. If you're sincere about serving the needs of the glass community, how 'bout you put your efforts into filling in the blanks in that list? I look forwards to being able to offer an accurate and comprehensive list on my website so my customers will know what concentrators are needed to operate different torches - or maybe even the reverse, how much bigger a torch they can justify without replacing their existing concentrator.
It is not up to you to decide what I post. If you do not care for a certain subject, you are free to use the back button, or better yet, start a thread discussing the topic you wish to discuss. I don't recall seeing a thread started by you asking for torch consumption rates. If I missed it while I was gone, I'm sorry I missed it and wasn't there to help answer your questions.

While the subject of torch consumption rates is important (I ought to know, I have certainly posted enough on the matter), the subject of oxygen concentrator output is very important, as well. The issue of concentrator health is a very important issue. How many people are struggling with poor purity and don't know it? It isn't that they are unintelligent people, it's that unless you have something to compare it against, how would you know? And, unless you have an oxygen analyzer, flow meter, and pressure gauge, how would you know to what degree a machine is lacking? How many concentrator users are sitting there thinking that they need a hotter torch, when the torch that they already have should be sufficient for the job? Glass is expensive. I can't see someone sinking lots of money into it trying to "get it" - thinking that it is a matter of practice, practice, practice - when they may never achieve the results they are after if their machines are not putting out high enough purity.

I am sincere in serving the needs of this community. For the last few years (since before I started my concentrator business), I have spent countless hours gathering data from the various manufacturers. I have posted that data throughout this technical forum and others. I dare say that I have contributed far more technical data to this forum than you give me credit for, Dennis.

As for the chart that Hayley posted, I don't need to fill in any blanks; I started my own thread with torch consumption rates in the appropriate forum where it won't get lost. This thread was started to discuss concentrator output - a perfectly appropriate topic, whether you like it or not.
Old 2008-06-04, 6:02pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out, Kimberly . . . will you please give me what the number should be for the Bobcat so I may update the info accordingly?

I will be happy to start a completely thread with this info and ask for help in filling in the blanks if you feel that I am hijacking your thread. Let me know please! Thanks.
I went ahead and started a new thread in the Torch section, so it wouldn't get lost in this thread.