AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-08-26, 2:13am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Default How to achive an intense black without the bleeding problem ...

This has bugged me for a long time. I used the tecnique of covering a dark cobalt blue with black transparent, but with very thin hairline stringer, I could not get a real black black, as the blue came thru. So back to the drawingboard. How do I get intense black without the bleeding, and not wanting to order more black from other manufactures?

Well, what about encasing Intense black with transparent black????

IT works! You can pull the thinnest tread with it, no bleeding; except ocasionally at the beginning/end of the stringer line, but that is easy to cover-up with a tiny dot of normal tranp black.

I would love to hear feedback, and if anyone else is using this method. Also, if it worked, please let me know! Show pics if you want! I am at work today, otherwise I would have posted a pic or 2.

Diana
Old 2008-08-26, 3:52am
Senior Moment

Thank you for the tip. I will try it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-26, 5:46am
..in withdrawal....

Try pulling stringers from Moretti compatible black cullet -- great stuff!!! Good, stiff black with no bleeding. Learned this one from Larry Scott.
Old 2008-08-26, 6:28am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayG7 View Post
Try pulling stringers from Moretti compatible black cullet -- great stuff!!! Good, stiff black with no bleeding. Learned this one from Larry Scott.

Yup! I was going to suggest this too, it works great

I think you buy it at Arrow Springs . . . but correct me if I'm wrong!

Old 2008-08-26, 6:32am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Never heard of that one, Kayg7!

I have limited acess to glass, and my stash of 40 odd kilogram 104 COE dare not increase. I already get the jeebies when I look at it and the cost involved. So I basically had to look at what I have, and adapt that to my needs. I work with really fine stringer a lot and ordinary black trans just did not work, but neither did intense black, as it will spider the moment it is that thin. Anyway, that was when I decided to combine the 2, using each black's best qualities, and hide it's worse. And it works.

Diana
Old 2008-08-26, 6:36am
Mary Lockwood

Diana, great tip, thanks! I have encased the intense black with clear before to keep it from bleeding, but it leaves an outline around the black which isnt' attractive. Using the black transparent would be much better.

I don't use much hair thin stringer so I've never really experimented too much about the black, but I will surely remember your tip the next time I'm making something that needs thin black lines.

Take care.
~~Mary

Old 2008-08-26, 6:44am
Detail G-Mama!

I use vetrofond black, much more intense than the moretti black and it doesn't bleed like the moretti.

Old 2008-08-26, 7:47am
Detail G-Mama!

Yeppers!

Old 2008-08-26, 9:20am
Heart Of Glass Beads

I hate Vetrofond black because I get a nasty haze on it if it stays in the flame too long, and a lot of my beads take at least 30 mins to make... In very small amounts it's ok, but if i'm using it as the primary or base color of a bead, forget it. Yuck.

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2008-08-26, 9:27am
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlabeads View Post
I hate Vetrofond black because I get a nasty haze on it if it stays in the flame too long, and a lot of my beads take at least 30 mins to make... In very small amounts it's ok, but if i'm using it as the primary or base color of a bead, forget it. Yuck.
I am glad you said that....I have that problem as well. Makes me feel better than I am not alone...and that's it's probably not me!

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2008-08-26, 9:32am
Detail G-Mama!

I don't use it for my base because of that, I use it for my stringer work. I use moretti black for my bases.

Old 2008-08-26, 9:38am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
I don't use it for my base because of that, I use it for my stringer work. I use moretti black for my bases.
Now see I'm totally opposite. My vetrofond makes great base beads but my Moretti pits - I've been told to get my graphite marver hotter to avoid this but geeze it hisses now if I put it in the water. I don't know how I cold get it it hotter. I know I don't have them mixed as there are tags on them.

Also, I had a batch of Moretti black that behaved like Moretti Dark Silver Plum - it got a silver sheen on it if my flame was too oxydizing.
Old 2008-08-26, 3:39pm
Heart Of Glass Beads

That's weird Linda... this is exactly how the Vetrofond acts for me (and i've heard of several other people that have this same problem). The silver haze and boiling/pitting.

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2008-08-26, 3:52pm

*raises hand* You're describing why I unloaded every bit of my Vetro black, hate the stuff... Moretti sometimes turns a bit silverish, but not too bad.

Thanks for the tip on keeping black black, though!

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-08-26, 7:39pm
..in withdrawal....

CRLoo has Moretti compatible black cullet -- super cheap, espcecially if you buy in quantity......

http://www.crloo.com/Products/Lampwo...effetre_5.html
Old 2008-08-27, 2:15am
Resident hippie

Time for a cullet bulk buy anyone? I won't be doing it as I am not in the US. Oh and repacking it might be a challenge.
$2.45 per lb for 100lbs+ from CRLoo. $3.16 for 30+ lbs. $4.89 per lb.
Sounds like a good deal if anyone was interested in doing it.

Anna

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2008-08-27, 3:36am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlabeads View Post
That's weird Linda... this is exactly how the Vetrofond acts for me (and i've heard of several other people that have this same problem). The silver haze and boiling/pitting.

That is totally wierd - tonight I will grab a rod of each that are labeled and check it out - maybe I am dis-remembering.

If anyone does a bulk buy for black 104 cullet, I'm in for a few pounds.
Old 2008-08-27, 2:50pm

Linda, I would love to hear what you find out. I thought I loved my Vetrofond!!! I switched a long time ago. Still have a couple Moretti rods but thought I always grabbed the Vetrofond black for big base beads with lots and lots of dots, that I work a long time. No pitting, etc. Maybe there are good and bad batches?

I would hate to spend an hour (or more) making another one only to see the problems others have had. (This is one of those sets that will take me about 10 years to complete as I only make about one a year. )
Please let us know! Thanks!

Old 2008-08-29, 2:57pm
MacGalver

Diana~ What a smart idea! I'm partial to solutions that use glass I already have.

I also have problems with moretti black as a base if I let it overheat at all, so I just keep it out of the flame, that seems to work pretty well for me. Direct fire is what seems to make it pit.

Linda, you put your graphite paddle into water to cool it? Wow, what planet have I been on?! I was taught to avoid getting my paddles and graphite tools wet, that it would stress them and they'd eventually crack. Anybody else ever heard this? Of course, I was told this back in the dark ages of lampworking, 15 years ago... on the other hand, I still have my original graphite paddle.... LOL!

Jo

Old 2008-08-30, 11:14am

I've always used the Vetrofond because it stays black and never had a problem with hazing until I used a rod from a new batch last night. Big haze problem, but it went away in the kiln...go figure.

Old 2008-08-30, 1:29pm

Question

I am so glad I found this tread!
Moretti Black has a silver sheen to it some times. Bought it about 6 months ago.
The latest batch (2 months ago) I got will pit if using graphite. Or the bead
takes along time to make.
I heat the graphite in the flame then paddle it. Then re-interduce it in the flame slowly.
And bathe it slowly to keep pitting from happening.
Could it be my torch? Bobcat

What is cullet??
Old 2008-08-31, 3:51pm
Mary Lockwood

Yeah, I've never heard of anyone dunking their graphite tools in water. We aren't supposed to be putting them into the flame to begin with. However, I've been guilty of it on occasion. LOL Just a quick flash...you know.

Old 2008-09-01, 4:39pm

I have found that CIM hades doesnt bleed. iono, maybe i have just been lucky with it.

I hope you dance
my etsy