Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-02, 1:28pm
Looking for my waistline

Default Hosed and hoseless....need supplier input!

Last year I bought a spare hose for my torch....just in case I needed it. Well, I need it. I have a leaky hose. I pulled out the hose I bought from the wrapper. Made in China. That was my first clue something was about to go wrong. As I was separating the oxy line from the gas line CHUNKS of the outer rubber coating came off where they were glued together. I refuse to use it. I don't trust it now. This DID NOT happen with the American-made hose I bought from Arrow Springs with my original set up. Now I'm hoseless and hosed....

Now that you know my sob story, where do you buy AMERICAN manufactured hoses for a decent price? I need the 25-foot hose. It would cost me $48 plus shipping all the way across the country to buy from AS. If I have to pay that, so be it, but I thought I'd ask in here before I bite the bullet and the bank account.

To all you new beadmakers...when you're buying your equipment, buy American whenever possible. The money you save may cost you in the long run.
Old 2008-09-02, 1:51pm
geekitude on two wheels

Welding supply or oxy dealer is where I get mine; usually they have to order it in as they don't carry propane hoses generally. They might try and convince you that it's fine to use the acetylene graded hose, and it is kind of (ie, not a real safety hazard) but the propane will degrade the interior of the hose, eventually causing your flame to dirty up and spit crap put on your glass. Ask me how I know @@
FWIW, plenty of stuff coming out of China is decent product. And plenty of US product is crappy. Although it is more likely that standards in the West are up to snuff, it's really about knowing what you are buying and from whom. And maybe checking that hose before you store it away somewhere for a year, and making sure it's stored correctly.
Old 2008-09-02, 2:29pm

I second the welding supply stores. I know I saw the identical hose I'm using, that I bought at Mountain Glass Art in Asheville, at a welding supply place here. Hey! That's another idea for you and much closer to ship from. Their 1 800 number is 310-8588. If you need me to go there and check anything for ya, I live really close by so just let me know.
(PM is best if so.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-02, 3:07pm
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutycat View Post
And maybe checking that hose before you store it away somewhere for a year, and making sure it's stored correctly.
It was stored in it's original packaging inside my house in a closet. It wasn't exposed to excessive heat or cold, so it wasn't the storage method.

My local welding supply place wants an arm and a leg for propane hose. Way more than what I can get it for through the glass distributors, even if I went with the most expensive retailer. Mandrels on the other hand are a different story! (thank goodness!!!)

Yes, T-grade all the way, baby. I learned all about that through tons and tons of research before I bought a single piece of equipment back when there wasn't anywhere near as much misinformation on the web about lampworking as there is these days.

Thanks Ziggy, I called Mountain Glass Arts this afternoon to ask if they had American-made. It's got the Goodyear brand on it. I might have RACING hose shortly!!

As far as the Chinese vs American products, in this business, when it comes to cooking with gas, Americans have been at it much longer than the Chinese. There are certain technologies that we're still better at. This business is one of them.

Last edited by Chuckie; 2008-09-02 at 3:09pm.
Old 2008-09-02, 3:59pm

Cool about racing hose!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-02, 6:10pm
geekitude on two wheels

Racing hose ! That's great!
Another good thing about getting major western brands like Goodyear is that you have a reasonable chance of them backing their product if it fails like your chinese made one did.
Old 2008-09-02, 6:36pm
Looking for my waistline

I figure if Goodyear can make tires to handle NASCAR circle track driving at speeds over 200 mph or a tire than can handle the weight of a jumbo jet slamming into the tarmac, they can make a decent gas line. Guess I need to call MGA and place my order. Their 25' hose is $10 to $15 less than the other retailers, too!
Old 2008-09-02, 8:08pm
Living out Loud

Thanks for starting this thread. I just noticed that the hose on my mini cc hose a torn place on it, so I stopped using it until I can replace the hoses. Luckily, I have minor burner that I can use until I order a replacement hose.