No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-16, 9:00pm
Glass-aholic

Default Adventurine powder...

What's your experience? Does it have/keep the same luster as frit/chips/rods do? It seems too easy to be true! I'm thinking as far as base bead, roll in powder, maybe encase with clear frit or rod, done... Seems easier and cheaper than using the rods! Even with a clear base.

Do you maybe mix it in a bit, like when pulling stringers?

Just looking for imput before I buy it. It seems like it could be an easy way to get an intense effect without the work... BUT seems too good to be true!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-11-16, 9:16pm

I LOVE adventurine powder. It's mostly all that I use as far as crushed. It looks like gold dust. I don't think it would work very good for stringers. You should use the chunk form and encase in clear. It's too diluted using the powder, at least for my taste.

Last edited by glassactcc; 2010-11-16 at 9:18pm.
Old 2010-11-16, 10:40pm
Mary Lockwood

I love aventurine powder too. Every single thing I put into the kiln today had some in it. LOL

Jaci, bear in mind that it is not going to give you plain gold sparklies like the stringer or chunks will. Goldstone in itself is copper particles suspended in a glass matrix. If you take a chunk of it and encase it, pull it into a stringer you have gold aventurine rod or stringer. Essentially all the copper particles are encased in clear and protected from your flame.

With powder, the goldstone has been pulverized and some of the metal is exposed. You will get some patina effects with a verdegris (greenish) color to it. Still loads of sparkle--just in a sea of powdery looking green.

~~Mary

Old 2010-11-16, 10:41pm
geekitude on two wheels

I use adventurine pwd a lot too, it's a great way to get all over sparkle without being too heavy handed or having the copper-y color too strong. I find it tends to go a bit green in spots if you're not careful to keep it cool until it's cased, but it's other wise pretty straightforward. Looks awesome on reds. I agree with cynthia, too, pulling stringer with it would be a waste.
Old 2010-11-16, 11:57pm
Glass-aholic

Thanks you guys are the B E S T !
I was thinking of getting the blue... Not the gold (not a big gold fan somehow) now I know for sure I am adding this to my cart!!

I don't think I would pull it into stringer anyways, but that is great to know... I love the rods, but find that I use them as more of a base than for detail, and this seems like the perfect solution! I hate how shocky the rods can be... Not to mention the price!

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-11-17, 4:13am

I hate the powder- goes all dull and yucky for me
(Probably I burn it working too hot)

Old 2010-11-17, 7:44am
Mary Lockwood

Tabitha---yep. Your flame needs to whisper to it. After you have it encased you can heat it up good and hot but until then go gently.

Old 2010-11-17, 8:10am

Moth is right, I very gently heat it after it's been applied. I don't even really melt it in. Then I encase it.

Old 2010-11-17, 10:43am

I use it a lot too in blends that I make and encase it right away..Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-11-17, 12:09pm

Ok, who sells it, I want some, lol.

Old 2010-11-17, 12:15pm
Glass-aholic

I was looking at frantz.. they sell it by 2oz or 1lb. i think its worth getting the lb from the feedback I am sure other people sell it too.

Old 2010-11-17, 12:35pm

Arrow Springs is where I get mine.

Old 2010-11-17, 1:10pm

I have some but never got it on the website. We'll see how this weekend goes. I have piles of stuff to add....Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-11-17, 5:47pm

Pics please!!!
Old 2010-11-17, 9:40pm
Lover of Life

Yah I wanna see some beadies with this magical powder!

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."