LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2011-03-01, 5:06pm
Miles from nowhere...

Joan, thank you so much for sharing this! These beads are so beautiful. I love the colors in your bird of paradise set. You are so generous! Kate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-01, 5:08pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

OOOPs!!! Sorry Beth - ummmmmmm - replace "owls" with "feathered creature of choice".....

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-03-01, 5:16pm

Joan, like everyone else, I have really liked this design of yours and I want to say thank-you so much for sharing. Work commitments have kept me too busy to torch for awhile, but this really makes me want to get at it.
Darrell in Ontario
Old 2011-03-01, 5:37pm
Loving learning

Thank you, I can't wait until I'm up to snuff to try this!
Old 2011-03-01, 5:53pm
Dynamic Duo

THANK YOU - I have been trying to do this sort of bead for over a year, using different variations with Amy Trescott's rainbow bead tutorial as a started. But doing this on a disc and working 'implosion style', don't think I would have arrived at that without this gracious bit of knowledge you are sharing. Gonna go try now!

Old 2011-03-01, 6:05pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

GlassGalore,
A wonky flower petal implosion is ...... an orchid.
Old 2011-03-01, 8:45pm
Will work for Glass

Thank you Joan for sharing this information. It is amazing to me that this is here because I have been trying to figure this technique out and actually spent a couple hours last night playing with different theories.....you made it very clear.

Thanks again Joan. Hope someday I can share something here that I discover. Until then I am very grateful for all the wonderful artists here and their willingness to share their knowledge.

Northern Mermaid Beads

Old 2011-03-01, 9:11pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
GlassGalore,
A wonky flower petal implosion is ...... an orchid.
At least I know what to call them now. Thanks!

Old 2011-03-01, 9:22pm
Ambivitreous

Joan, It's really awesome of you to share this tutorial with us. Thanks so much! I can't wait to give it a try.

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2011-03-01, 10:20pm
Critter Mom

for sharing this wonderful technique Joan.

Old 2011-03-02, 12:01am

Thank you, Joan. These are such lovely beads, I appreciate your sharing this technique.
Old 2011-03-02, 8:15am
Somewhat out there!

Oh thank you, can't wait to try this (and probably my patience too) this weekend.

Julianne
Old 2011-03-02, 8:31am
Lover of all things color

Sry, I'm still confused. I consider a disk to be tall and thin, is this wrong?

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-03-02, 10:52am
Lover of all things color

One more quick question about step #7, when you place the dots on the right side, does that mean that you are holding the mandrel with the right hand?

I hold with my left so I'm wondering if I need to put mine on the left side so that when I do the implosion I have them on the correct side.
tnx,

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-03-02, 12:32pm
אהבה אני ישו

I'm with ^Jan^ ... I can't picture what to do (sometimes it sucks to be a visual learner)

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2011-03-02, 2:56pm

Thanks Joan. I had pretty much figured it out but couldn't get points. Step 17 answered that problem. Can't wait to try it.
Old 2011-03-02, 3:15pm
picking Job's Tears

Thank you Joan! I'll have to re-read it with more time.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2011-03-02, 4:11pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Wonderful!!! Thank you for doing this, Joan!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-03-05, 1:54am
Eyes upon the horizon

On a recent road trip I had a mental breakthrough and went on a big petal bead kick when I got home. I was so focused on the technique I didn't even think about layering with transparents. I just started getting bored with these and had moved on to new things today, but I think tomorrow I'll go back to petals with renewed excitement. I'm so glad I found this thread. Thank you so much for the inspiration! Your beads are absolutely gorgeous!

Old 2011-03-05, 9:36pm

Joan,

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial. I have been trying, but unsuccessfully, to figure out how to make this style of beads for quite a while and Step #17 in your explanation really clicked on the light bulb for me. Of course, that doen't mean I will be able to make beautiful beads like yours. But, it is a giant step towards it for sure.

I agree totally with Susan (Post #37). It is wonderful to have you and other bead artists here willingly to share various beadmaking techniques. Thanks again for being so generous in sharing.

Grace Hobbs
Old 2011-03-06, 8:41am
Melts Under Fire

Joan,
Thank you for sharing this style. I can't wait to sit down and try it.
Thank you so much!

Old 2011-03-06, 8:48am

Wow, so nice of you to share. Waaay past my level of patience!
Old 2011-03-06, 2:44pm
ASamples33

Joan,
Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. I am new to bead making and have so much to learn. Thanks again
Old 2011-03-08, 1:01pm

I also want to thank you for sharing your knowledge on how to make this bead! I've always loved them and can't wait to try these implosions. You are awesome! and your beads are beautiful.

Old 2011-03-09, 9:42am
Rose colored glasses…√

Thank you, Joan!! I couldn't have done it without you!! This is my first attempt. A bit wonky; a bit faded, but...it's passable. I used lime and turquoise.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-03-09, 2:01pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Good Job Chrissy!! Your color combo is awesome - and your petals came out great!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-03-10, 5:34am
Live and Let Live

For some reason, I'm having a hard time visualizing Steps 11 & 12 in relation to the initial disc built for the 'stamen' layer. If anyone would like to draw a pic or take a photo at this step, it would be helpful... I hope.

ETA: And Chrissi, that bead is so yummy, and I can't believe you could keep it SO tiny still! (I know you're Da Queen of tiny beads and all, but layers just have a way of growing!)

Last edited by GlassGalore; 2011-03-10 at 5:36am.
Old 2011-03-10, 6:50am
grama punky - class junky

Thank you for posting this! cant wait to give it a try.

Old 2011-03-10, 7:22am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
For some reason, I'm having a hard time visualizing Steps 11 & 12 in relation to the initial disc built for the 'stamen' layer. If anyone would like to draw a pic or take a photo at this step, it would be helpful... I hope.
Joan can probably explain this far better, since I've made only one, but...you know how we make striped beads? (I think Kandice has a tutorial on making the perfect striped bead.) That's the stamen; that's how you start, but rather than going ahead and melting it into a bead after you've covered your dots, you leave it as a disk. I tried to draw on this picture, but since I don't really know photoshop beyond "lighting", "clone", and "crop", I kinda' sucked. You see how my petals fade, or as Joan said, feather? I got the bead too hot. Where I typed the white "\" on the left, that is about how thick the disk was when I placed my first row of turquoise dots, portrayed in this picture by two little dark gray dots, farthest to the left. Where I typed the white "\" on the right, that is about how thick the disk was when I placed my second row of turquoise dots, portrayed in this picture by three little dark gray dots, farthest to the right. After encasing those last dots, the bead was about half the width it ended up, and taller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
ETA: And Chrissi, that bead is so yummy, and I can't believe you could keep it SO tiny still! (I know you're Da Queen of tiny beads and all, but layers just have a way of growing!)
Thank you.

I see all of the flaws, so it's nice to know that somebody thinks it's yummy. I think it's "okay".

My two wraps to begin the bead are probably tinier than a number of people's two wraps. I also pulled a fat stringer of clear to use for my clear encasement. I tend to make tiny dots anyway, so they were easy to cover with a stringer. I also encase with the rod or stringer kinda' sideways, rather than like a pencil, so the encasement layer is thin.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...

Last edited by chrissij; 2011-03-10 at 8:32am. Reason: Rotated picture for clarity, see post 61.
Old 2011-03-10, 7:58am

Thank you so much for posting these instructions. I was hoping someone would explan this mysterious process. It's still mysterious though. Please tell me if my thinking is correct:

If I am right handed and the mandrel is in my left hand, the center of the flower where the stamen is, will form towards the left hand and the outer petals increasingly towards my right hand. Is that correct? it seems sort of counterintuitive and backwards, but I THINK that's what you are describing.