Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-02-16, 1:56pm
Embracing My Wonkiness

Default A little warmth in a cold studio

I've been waiting to see how this thing was going to work out before posting anything about it.

As seems to be the case with many others that I've read about, there isn't a source of heat in the studio space that I'll be using at home here. We were going to try to install a heater like you see in Kalera's pics of her beautiful new studio space, but we ran into problems with the propane people saying they refused to come and fill a propane tank that was to be used for the purpose of one of those heaters. So now the idea of using a propane heater is up in the air at least for now.

But we did get a couple of these...
http://www.eheat.us/

I have to say that I don't believe these panel heaters will be enough to keep this room warm on the coldest of, below freezing, winter days around here. But we do notice that having one panel on the wall is making a noticable difference when the outside temps are around 40 degrees and up.

This room is roughly 12'x17' and for that size space we're supposed to be using two, which we are not yet. Also there is an open staircase in this room that leads to another very large unheated room above. I'll be curious to see how the room will feel once the second panel is going. And I can't help but think that a small, well insulated space that didn't have an open staircase for heat to fly to, would be a totally different story too.

I think we're going to install the second panel, that I'll switch on and off as needed, on the wall under what will be the work table. Which I can't help but think will keep my legs and feet plenty warm. It might end up being too warm. I can't tell yet. At any rate they're easy enough to move around. But I'm hoping the two panels, plus the torch, plus the kiln going will be enough to stay warm in there in the winter.

Anywho, I just thought I'd toss the info out there for others to take a look at. Oh, and it's got like a clay, ceramic kind of surface that you can paint on so it's not just a big ugly white square on the wall.

Lil
Old 2006-02-17, 1:35pm

Thanks for sharing- those look pretty neat! I had seen something like that advertised in a magazine, and I was pondering the idea for my garage or shop! Thanks again!!!
Old 2006-02-17, 3:52pm

Huh. Funny what one supplier will do but another complains about. Our propane suppliers sell wall units/space heaters. We bought ours someplace else but they were the same basic thing.

We are kicking around the idea of something electric near my feet, so I'm glad to see the link. Thanks.
Old 2006-02-20, 6:55am
JOAT, Master of None

LIL,,, Did you see that you can get it painted?

That would be cool for your logo or something like that.
You're avatar would look perfect on it!

Cool Idea, thanks for sharing.
Old 2006-02-20, 7:21am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Yepper, Robin...We figure we'll paint something on there.

For what we're asking these panels to do, we're not unhappy with them. I'm more than a little curious to see the next electric bill though. That might make a difference as to how much I like them. I have my fingers crossed.

Lil
Old 2006-02-22, 5:24am
Common Lurker

I work out in my garage studio.
For my feet, I bought one of these...
I can't remember from which supplier, but I can check if someone needs...

http://www.matsmatsmats.com/commerci...armer-mat.html

I got one of the larger mats. It doesn't get super hot, but it really does do a good job keeping my feet and legs warm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-02-22, 6:20am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Those look like a great idea! Usually if I can keep my feet warm the rest of me will be ok too!

Lil
Old 2006-02-22, 8:14am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Well, we have both of the panels plugged in now. It's 37 degrees outside and 64 degrees in the workroom. It's plenty comfortable. No kiln or torch going yet...which will make things even warmer I should think. I'm stoked...

Lil
Old 2006-02-22, 2:04pm
Common Lurker

Excellent! Keep us posted on how they function...
And what your electric bill turns into...
Hopefully you won't see a major difference!

Old 2006-02-24, 9:59am

I'm so glad I saw this post. My studio is 12x16 with electric baseboard. I usually turn it on to take off the chill and then when torching, turn off the baseboard and have an oscillating ceramic heater on. I'm becoming obsessed with trying to cut the electric bill!

I might just order two of these. Since I usually have a friend in the studio--like to mix socializing with torching--I need to keep the entire studio comfortable, not just the area near me.
Old 2006-02-26, 1:12pm

Now, if they could just come up with something as efficient to keep your studio cool when it is 95 degrees outside with high humidity and you are pulling 600 CFMs of outside air make up for what is going up your hood.

I also find that the parabolic dish radiant heaters work really well at keeping you warm when you are pulling a lot of cold air from outside. The torch keeps your hands and face warm, and I angle mine so it hits the back and side of me that is facing the incoming cold air. Of course the coldest it has been outside when I have decided to torch is 30 degrees so it may be totally useless for you "frozen chosen" out there.

Eric
Old 2006-02-26, 4:11pm
Embracing My Wonkiness

Well, I'm thrilled to say that even with temps dipping into the teens and low 20's while I've been in the studio, I've been very comfortable. Once everything is fired up in there the room stays in the mid to upper 60's. I can live with that! Still keeping my fingers crossed on the electric bill. ...

Course now that I think about it, I won't really know what part of the bill will be from the heating panels, what's from running the kiln, the fan, or the concentrator. Ahh!...I hope it's not God awful high.

I know what you mean about the heat, Eric. We get awfully humid days here too. I don't have a window to stick an AC into yet. We're supposed to put a couple windows in at a later date.

Lil
Old 2006-02-28, 6:26am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Well... We've been in a consistant cold snap of temps in the mid teens. Yesterday the temp in the studio hovered at 60 degrees. Still able to work in there...

Such a cold night last night...10 degrees outside this morning and 47 degrees in my room. Too cold for me to be in there now. Waaaaa!

Lil
Old 2006-02-28, 11:34am

I might try these. Let us know about the electric bill...Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-03-21, 6:07am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Well, the electric bill came. hehe

It's not horrible news for these panels I don't think. I wish I could break it down and really know how much the heating panels added exactly but I can't.

I can only say that the bill is 100.00 to 150.00 dollars more than a typical winter month bill before the studio activity. Why the heck we've had as much as a 50.00 difference in our bill in the winter months of past years I've no clue!

Anywho...In the past month we've been running these additional items; they have all contributed to the rise in our bill:

The two heat panels in the studio on 24/7
2 overhead lights on an average of 12 hours a day
1 additional task light on an average of 12 hours a day
1 air compressor on an average of 12 hours a day
1 chili pepper on an average of 12 hours a day
1 squirrel fan on an average of 12 hours a day
1 electric space heater in our bedroom...cuz with being so sick this last month I just could not freakin' get warm for nuttin!

I can't say I'm freaked out by the bill. Considering how much more stuff we've been running, I don't guess the heat panels alone are causing a huge hike. And it's made the studio warm enough to work in so I have no complaints.

Lil