Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-07-15, 7:23pm
No Longer an LE Member

Smile The Spartan Torche by Devardi

I got a package in the mail today from David and Natasha at Devardi Glass containing a new Spartan Torche and check valves they gave these to me an the kids. What is nice is that I got to use it first as the kids are not here on Monday. I am very impressed with this small torche, it is a litte smaller physically from the Nortel Minor. I think it has better flame caracteristics from any of the small torches I have used. The torche is still hot enough to make boro beads quite nicely, I haven’t tried to make any marbles yet but when the kids get here I know there will be a couple marbles made first thing.

I believe this will be a great torch for making beads for a new person. It is priced under a hundred dollars which will help the poor newbie like me to switch from a hot head to a surface mix torche. I am very impressed with this torche and will love to see what others think about this new torche.

Last edited by AKDesigns; 2013-08-11 at 5:17pm. Reason: restored post
Old 2013-07-15, 7:34pm
one day at a time

I got mine today too, and then I realized that my Bobcat has the hose set-up for barbed connections, so I need to get a new hose. I wish I saved those connection end pieces I cut off so many years ago!

I should get a new hose set-up anyway. As soon as I can, I will place an order with them to get what I need. My regulator is going bad too because it's "squeaking" when I turn the valve, and the needle hesitates. Sometimes it behaves kind of wild and breathes a long breath of raging flame and then it dies down to barely there. Other times it works fine, with the exception of the squeaking and being slow to increase pressure. So it's time to replace that as well. Theirs is the right price for me. (plus a dozen or more glass colors I want to try!)

My husband is cutting out a piece of plywood for a board to mount the torch on tomorrow, and I'm going to order the 12"x12" aluminum sheet to cover it. That should make a nice stable mount and work surface. My table is one of those resin buffet 6ft tables from Costco. I have it covered with 12" tiles.

I'm dying to try it and now I have to wait! I have all my reds, oranges, rubino, and Bullseye opal pinks laid out to try with this torch. All the colors I just can't do with the Bobcat or the Mini CC. Not after 11 years of trying, so maybe this will be the answer. Oh, I almost forgot - Effetre pink opalinos and albastros, collecting dust for years, I got them out too. Pixie dust should be fun now! Instead of patchy-looking baked on half-a**ed sparkly stuff.

I love my Bobcat and will always love it, but it's not going into retirement if I fall in love with this new torch too. It's going to get a new job working with boro, because it's always been plenty hot enough for that! For right now I just need some gentle heat because I don't know if and when I will ever get the HH hooked up again. The welding shop idiots want to charge me a deposit when I already paid it 11 years ago. They "lost" my records. Yup!

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-07-15 at 7:58pm.
Old 2013-07-16, 11:39am
Borovangelist

You can get sheet aluminum at Home Depot. There's no reason to pay shipping on a piece from Oregon to Florida.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2013-07-16, 12:09pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
You can get sheet aluminum at Home Depot. There's no reason to pay shipping on a piece from Oregon to Florida.
Pre-cut in a nice and neat little sheet?? On the Devardi site it's only $1.99 and I'm pretty sure it will fit in the same box with the hose, regulator and several pounds of glass. I don't have to waste the gas and the time taking a trip to Home Depot, oh...and loading the wheelchair in and out of the car. No thank you. I love online shopping, and the little extra I pay in shipping is worth it to me.
Old 2013-07-16, 12:50pm
Slogan Challenged...

It's worth it if you are already getting an order. I will say that I bought one too, but it has yellowed quite a bit over time. Still, as a worksurface, that would be nice to have.

I got my alpha on sale for not much more than the spartan, so I am not too bothered by missing this. I am curious, though, how the spartan works out for everyone. Report back, please

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-07-16, 12:51pm
I fart diamonds

Aluminum flashing cuts with scissors or an exacto knife. You can get an entire roll from Home Depot to cover your table (and still have some left over for other stuff) for $15, no shipping, instant gratification. (There's actually a cheaper, smaller roll but the one I got was $15)

(I wrote a blog post on my uber cheap bench set-up: http://hotglasschick.com/stuff/budget-workspace/)
Attached Images

Old 2013-07-16, 12:58pm
Borovangelist

Yup, pre-cut. Though I think it might have been more like 18x24 or something. Not to big for a table though.

But hey, different strokes, some folks (not me) have money to burn.

|
|
Old 2013-07-16, 1:27pm
one day at a time

I don't have money to burn, and boy do I wish I did. But I do have a business to make a living off of, so I must buy the supplies I need to keep it running.

Shawnette, I have thought of using the flashing to cover the entire table, and eventually I will do that. It's pretty inexpensive, like you pointed out. Thanks! Your work area looks great!

I have tiles and I'm tired of them sliding around and stuff falling down in between them. It's a mess, and I don't want to use grout and make them a permanent fix on the table.

The aluminim sheeting pieces that are pre-cut at Home Depot are $8-$11 bucks, and none are 12" sq. ft. I just want a little piece like the 12" because my husband is using it to make the base for the torch, so it can be picked up and moved around. The sheet is going to be covering a piece of 5/8" plywood, and the torch screwed in place on the bottom third of this surface. One screw in each corner, and underneath, the nuts for the screws will be recessed into the wood, so this base will rest completely completely flat on the table. Pointed ends of the screws filed if necessary. It should be heavy and stable enough so I don't have to clamp it to the table. I will probably be going back and forth between this new torch and the Bobcat once I really get going with boro again.

When we are done with this little torch base project, I'll take a picture of it to show.
Old 2013-07-27, 10:11am
one day at a time

I finally got the chance to order the rest of what I needed to set up my torch. The propane regulator, new hoses, and the port cleaner tool. I can't wait!

I'm moving soon so hubby and I will put off making the 12x12" base for this torch. We don't have time for projects right now. For temporary the torch will be mounted on a smaller piece of wood and clamped to the table with a large C-clamp. The wood will be covered in heavy-duty aluminum foil, so it should be fine.
Old 2013-07-27, 11:52am
Slogan Challenged...

So, how is this torch working out? Anyone? Curious minds wanna know.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-07-27, 1:05pm
No Longer an LE Member

Smile

I am having a great time with mine. I just used the first propane tank up since I got the torch, between the kids and me the torch has gone non-stop. Lexi made a 2” boro marble, it took an hour and a half to make but for a simple marble it wasn’t bad. We just wanted to see what the torch could do. I am very impressed. I do mostly coe 104 and make hundreds of sculpted roses for the Rosaries I make. I sat this morning and made 250 spacer beads. When you turn the torch down it really works wonderful, it seems to have a cooler flame if that is possible, it actually takes a little skill to burn the glass now.

Last edited by AKDesigns; 2013-08-11 at 5:17pm. Reason: restored post
Old 2013-07-27, 5:54pm

How about a round of applause for Devardi? Free torch for Dr. Bill and his kids!

Barbara
Old 2013-07-27, 7:59pm

Applause!

Thanks Devardi for Dr. Bill's torch...I'll try to post on Devardi'a site too.

--Helene
Old 2013-07-27, 8:03pm

Old 2013-07-27, 8:48pm
GLASS ADDICT

Well you're lucky mine has a defect on the face where it was not filed down right and a couple of the jets are shooting flames unevenly and one to the side so I took it down and set my alpha back up.
Old 2013-07-28, 4:30am

what, a devardi product with qc issues? no way.
Old 2013-07-30, 6:54pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle louie View Post
Well you're lucky mine has a defect on the face where it was not filed down right and a couple of the jets are shooting flames unevenly and one to the side so I took it down and set my alpha back up.
Hoses and regulator coming tomorrow afternoon, so this weekend I will have my evaluation on the performance of this torch. I checked the face on mine and it looks fine. If you have problems with yours, then I assume you got a replacement from Devardi? They are very nice people to work with.
Old 2013-08-02, 10:19pm
Lover of Life

I think that is awesome of Devardi.

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2013-08-04, 11:25am
love me love my llamas

So has anyone used the torch and what do they think of it? I was considering the torch.
Old 2013-08-04, 7:16pm
one day at a time

I am pretty sure there are a few more people out there other than me that will give a review. I hope so! Dr Bill who started this thread, gave a review of his on the Devardi site. It is seen on the torch page.
Old 2013-08-08, 10:41am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Spartan Torch Review

Hi Everyone,

I just posted on the other Thread about this new torch. I have to say that I like it a lot so far. I love my Hothead for the detail work and ease of use, but I also have a Cricket. This Spartan is a wonderful bridge between the two. It can be set to a soft feathery flame, like my Hothead (with the 0-60psi Regulator that I use on it to take down the pressure). The Spartan Torch is also absolutely great for detail work and stringer work.

You can also dial it up to regular heat for melting and encasing, and take it all the way up to Boro level heat. I would say that if you are stepping up from a Hothead or want an inexpensive Torch to start out on, this is an excellent choice. Set low, there's no learning curve from the Hothead to the higher heat Torches.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2013-08-09 at 2:52am.
Old 2013-08-08, 11:24am
one day at a time

Great review! Thanks! Now I really can't wait to hook mine up!
Old 2013-08-11, 3:31pm

anyone have any idea why Dr Bill is "no longer an LE member"?
Old 2013-08-11, 3:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
anyone have any idea why Dr Bill is "no longer an LE member"?
Ask that question in the potty!!!!
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-08-11, 3:59pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
Ask that question in the potty!!!!
We are not allowed to discuss it publicly in the forum. Corri said no.
Old 2013-08-11, 4:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
We are not allowed to discuss it publicly in the forum. Corri said no.
Oops, my apologies. I missed that. Figured the potty was the place to ask... me bad!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-08-11, 5:09pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
Oops, my apologies. I missed that. Figured the potty was the place to ask... me bad!

Sue
That's okay. Several people have asked about it, and a few did because they were checking on this thread and saw his "bye" in the first post. lol!
Old 2013-08-22, 11:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Aluminum flashing cuts with scissors or an exacto knife. You can get an entire roll from Home Depot to cover your table (and still have some left over for other stuff) for $15, no shipping, instant gratification. (There's actually a cheaper, smaller roll but the one I got was $15)

(I wrote a blog post on my uber cheap bench set-up: http://hotglasschick.com/stuff/budget-workspace/)
Wow, I'm so glad I checked this thread out, I had no idea you could do non-permanent ventilation for so cheap! Thank you for posting, you've just opened my eyes to something I never thought I'd be able to do =D

"Good judgment comes from experience.. Which, unfortunately, comes from bad judgment."

“Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.”
Old 2013-08-28, 8:04am
GLASS ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Hoses and regulator coming tomorrow afternoon, so this weekend I will have my evaluation on the performance of this torch. I checked the face on mine and it looks fine. If you have problems with yours, then I assume you got a replacement from Devardi? They are very nice people to work with.
actually I gave it away to a friend who wanted to upgrade from a hothead.I'll stick to my alpha until I can upgrade,thinking about a GTT Scorpion.
Old 2013-09-19, 11:39am

funny i was just looking around at used torches on ebay and i came across this torch being sold. of course Dr Bill's review of this torch is a good review, although at least one part of said review is BS.

"we have now made 2” boro marbles and it has worked a lot better than the torch we were using"

there is no f@cking way that a 2" boro marble was made on this torch. i can barely pull that off on a midrange.