Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-30, 9:34am
FireDancer Glass

Default Charging for others to use my equipment?

I have a aquaintance that wants to learn to lampwork more but is not ready to put together a "studio" yet and she has asked to "rent" my equipment to practice. I have no idea what I should charge. She would be using my basic Moretti colors and frit and then my equipment and then I would probably have to clean the beads since she does not have those items either. I don't want to over charge her and have her not want to practice becuase of cost but I also want to make sure I am getting $ for my supplies and time.
Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Christy
Old 2012-05-30, 9:39am

you probably need to figure out how much it costs you an hour to run your equipment. Include propane, oxygen, kiln, lights, glass, your time (if any), etc.
Kind of like pricing items for sale.
Old 2012-05-30, 9:43am
novembersfyre everywhere

I would be really careful about charging someone due to insurance issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-05-30, 9:55am
Happiness is....

Will you be teaching her also? you could base it on that.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2012-05-30, 10:04am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Whether teaching or renting space you really need a release of liability form. It may not stand up in court, but will at least send the message of responsibility to the person in your studio. I did teach in my studio, but I did not rent open torch time without supervision. Too much can happen in a few moments with the equipment. If there was a true teaching studio that carries it's own insurance for that purpose, I would suggest that before hosting in my private home studio.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-05-30, 10:25am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

She could also damage your equipment - something to keep in mind.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2012-05-30, 11:03am
FireDancer Glass

I would be monitoring her the whole time but not an actual class. I really want to give her the opportunity to play with it to see if she would like to invest in it. I do agree with the release of liability form. It isn't to make money but to share my love of glass but maybe I need to to the buisness route so I can teach and be covered when situations like this come up.

Christy
Old 2012-05-30, 12:46pm

FWIW ... I paid "a friend" $12 to $15 an hour to use her mini-CC on 02 to practice on before I took my first real class and succumbed to buying my own set-up

This included the use of her mandrels, release, glass.

Old 2012-05-30, 1:46pm
Salt Box Beads

The going studio use rate around here is 15.00 per hour and they have to bring their own glass and tools, annealing is free but they have to clean the beads.

P.S> in order to make this worth your time I would have my own personal torch set up so I could keep an eye on her but also be creating at the same time.
Old 2012-05-30, 1:49pm
Wonder-wench

I don't have much to offer on this subject, but it did strike me as odd that you will "have to clean the beads". I would recommend letting your friend clean her own beads either at your place or on her own. There are several simple & inexpensive ways to do that and she will have to learn anyway.

Old 2012-05-30, 3:29pm
Loving learning

Maybe suggest that she buy a hot head, and you could sell her a sample bundle of glass so she could get started without having to buy a ton of stuff? You could always offer to anneal her beads for her (free of charge) if she used one of the other forms of slow cooling until she was ready to get a kiln.
Then she could do it at her own place and not put you at risk of something happening to her or because of her in your studio.
You could even loan her some glasses if you felt inclined, a marver pad, etc. or sell her a few of your extra things if that worked better.
Old 2012-05-30, 6:28pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I teach in my home studio. Usually people return for a class. But I do offer torch time for $15 an hour. I encourage them to buy consumable supplies. I do not leave a student alone.
For the torch time, consider if they scum up your torch or ruin any tools, who is replacing it?
I would INSIST that she take a class before she spend a minute on your torch. I say this for a reason. My best friend had special privelags without taking my class. I was often pulling my hair out watching her ruin my tools and watching her not know or understand how the glass works. I made her take my class, things got MUCH better after the class.
Some students don't have quite the finess, consider this. If your friend/torch renter does not have the dexterity to work safely, do you trust her with your equipment and supplies.
Consider first sending her to youtube, reading books, watching lampworking instructional videos etc. Have her watch while you explain in detail how to melt the glass and the working areas of the torch.
Even after explaining not to get the glass too close to the torch, I often have to bring my student's attention to how close they are working to the ports. Twice they have gummed up the torch in my 12 years of teaching, and we were able to save the torch both times. But it is a nerve racking moment.

I like the idea of having her get a hot head. If she can't afford all the proper instruction and equipment, perhaps she can not afford to do this hobby. This rules out a few of my students from doing this long term.

Come up with a contract, liability release, sign and date them. Make it clear what the rules are. Contact me if you would like guidance. I have all the forms.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Old 2012-05-31, 5:02pm
FireDancer Glass

Thanks for all the info guys. She took a class from me all ready and is interested in practice time. I would be there in the room with her to answer questions. Lots to think about!

Christy
Old 2012-06-01, 4:09am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

My biggest fear would be liability - it's a lot cheaper to replace tools or torch than to face a lawsuit if something really dire happened. I know we couldn't do this without a certain level of denial about the risks, but Murphy's Law is universal and inescapable, and I shudder at the idea of someone getting hurt using my equipment.

L-111