No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2016-03-10, 6:06pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Default Intake Air Vent Pics

I am planning to make a shedio this summer, something that we can insulate so that starting next winter, I can continue to torch in my warm little spot.

I hear a lot of talk about intake air vents, and I am wondering what they look like. Would those that have em, post em? Thank you in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-03-15, 11:35pm
Phill

I happen to have a window at the back of my torch bench that I have fashioned a handle and a pry bar and a pivot so that I can open and close the window a quarter of an inch.

I will try to get you a picture tomorrow.

But to answer your question the intake vent is just the same as you would your outlet vent except there is no fan in it.

You can use "blast gates" on both the intake and outlet openings so you don't waste any heat or air conditioning when you are not running the vent fan.

I found my 8 inch blast gate on EBay for $40 a decade ago.

Again, I'll get you an image tomorrow.

You will want your intake opening to be ten feet from your outlet so that you don't pull your own fumes back into your bench in a loop.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 2016-03-16, 4:40pm
Phill

Look at the drawing in the 2nd post by Dale Meisenheimer in this webpage;

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=22&t=150 .

Move the slider on the right of the drawing so all of the dark blue wording and lines are visible.

He shows how the "make up air" comes in through the wall and is ducted up to the back of the torch bench.

This air flow can be a major portion of the air (up to 85%) going up through the flame / fume zone and outside through the ventilation fan with the other 15% coming from behind you around your body and over your shoulders, giving you fresh air to breath, and then outside through the ventilation fan.

I am still looking for actual pictures of studios with make up air ducted like this. I know I have seen some here in the LE studio threads, I just haven't found them yet.

They look just like the floor registers used to bring heat from a forced air furnace to rooms in a home.

I will keep looking for them for you.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-03-16 at 4:42pm.
Old 2016-03-16, 8:34pm
Phill

Blue Between posted her studio build in this post;

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=37

You can see two ducts bringing make up air up from under the floor in those pictures.

And you can see the two white vents on either side of where the torch hood is going to go just above the bench in some of these pictures;

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=52

Her full studio build picture series can be seen here;

http://www.bluebetween.com/studio.htm

Other folks bring the duct work up to be flat with the surface of the bench but some find those wind up being the place where anything dropped on the bench drops down the ductwork into a never never land.
Old 2016-03-17, 6:07am
ManBearPig

I'd show you my air intake vent, but it's just a garage door open about a foot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
air flew over