Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2016-05-22, 3:04pm

Default Ventilation vs Extraction

Anyone uses a "fume extraction" system for their lampworking.

I had a ventilation system all spec'd out for my new studio and then the Oregon and Bullseye glass situation occurred. Hubby doesn't want me contaminating the air outside my studio.

So now looking at something that will suck and filter the bad stuff out but they all seem to be self contained ... ie no fresh makeup air required. Which might actually be a benefit for keeping a nice temperature in the studio.

Thoughts ... experiences??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-05-22, 4:34pm
Phill

Contaminating the air out side your studio is exactly the idea you want.

Large amounts of air and regular washing of the surfaces outside with normal rain fall is what you want.

1) If you can get a filtering system to actually capture ALL of the various contaminants is it going to be expensive because they will have to prove to some government entity that they do, in fact, capture all of the stuff they advertise they can and because that kind of technology is going to be spendy to manufacture and market.

2) Then there is the question of who is going to dispose of the contaminated filter once you are through with it? What with lead, sulfur, arsenic, cadmium, cobalt, uranium and all of the other elements involved with creating colors in glass the list of what is going to be trapped in the filter are so varied that no one is going to want to legally dispose of it for you no matter how much money you through at them.

Studies have shown that the minor amounts of these chemicals that get off gassed by lampworking (home hobbyist, non industrial scale) given off my our addiction are perfectly safe to get dumped outside on the roofs of our homes to be washed away into the soil in our yards to react with and then get trapped by the weathering and oxidation reactions that will happen over time.

Just don't pipe your ventilation out directly over your bar-b-que grill or the back door where it will collect on the door knob that gets touched every day or the favorite place for the smokers to hang out or have the down spout draining into your food garden.
Old 2016-05-22, 5:13pm

Thanks Phill ... always nice sage advice.

I think hubs is looking at venting into charcoal and carry it away underground pvc piping at the moment. I've put it in his hands.

His concern ... we have neighbors who sit out on their decks and though they are to the side by 20+ feet from any venting I would be doing ... he doesn't want to throw carcinogens at them. Also ... having our four legged friends running though my off gas drop-off.

I've tried to tell him as you said ... it's minimum you just don't want to collect it inside and be breathing it ... he's hell bent on some type of filtration.

I've put it in his hands. We live less than 15 miles from Three Mile Island so we are "used" to be contaminated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-05-22, 7:49pm
Phill

Well, it will probably make him feel much better to go through all the steps involved to learn what he wants to know about all of the precise details.

From my training in the Navy about safety and NavOSHA and working in unventilated shipboard voids (holds and tanks and such) his very best bet is going to be increasing the height of the ventilation outlet stack.

An additional eight feet of black PVC piping will increase the dilution rate by several orders of magnitude due to the maths involved.

Getting it all up high enough to mix in well with the moving air above the roof is the answer.

That's why all those old companies with furnaces of one kind or anther had those outrageously tall "smoke stacks"

If this were an industrial setting then we would be talking about millions of times of larger quantities and 24/7/365 and then yeah it will make a difference then.

Statistically, you might could === possibly === "poison an ant in a country the size of the USA over the entire lifetime of your individual glass addiction".

Yes it's true that some of what we work with is hazardous in quantity over extended periods of time but if we limit ourselves to only the absolute safest of things we will never get out of the swaddling cloth our grandparents wrapped us in.

Good luck with this.

If he really wants to capture this stuff effectively what he wants is the charcoal water filter cleaning setup for a really huge (room size) pet fish aquarium.

It needs to be big because of the volume of air that you need to move to keep your bench from being hazardous just to run the torch.

Bubble the ventilation system through the ultra fine sieve stones used to aerate the water and then run the water through the charcoal.

That's the best kind of scrubbers we can get our hands on shy of buying equipment from NASA.

Still leaves the question of what to do with the charcoal once its contaminated.

I guess it could just go to a landfill along with our normal house hold waste because it wont really be any worse than anything else we put there.

It won't become the LOVE Canal after all.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-05-22 at 7:54pm.
Old 2016-05-22, 8:16pm

LOL Thanks again Phill. You are awesome.

Here's the horrible caveat. We have a two story house with a walk out basement (aka three story house). I'm putting the studio in the area of a retaining wall on the bottom (aka basement floor) So I need one very long stack and I think it might excite the township zoning ordinance.

I copied and pasted your other info for him and will do the same with this. My thought was activated charcoal to grab the big stuff on the way out. I think he is actually looking at putting the exhaust underground and venting it away from the houses (towards our storm swale).

It should be fun to see what he comes up with ... Engineer in his first life, went back to school for his computer science degree and then sixish years ago went back to school and got his project management cert. and MBA. I tease him he has more letters after his name than are in his name at this point in time.

Old 2016-05-22, 8:23pm
Phill

Forty feet of black 6 inch Waste, Drain, Vent pipe run up to just 3 feet above the gutter line will do everything he needs it to and the odds are really good that the township won't even ask about it.

A rain hat on top and a cleanout tee at the bottom and Bob's your uncle.

You will want a pretty strong fan to move the volume you need through that small of a diameter due to the static pressure losses but he will know about that.

For that matter he can run the stack outlet around several corners to get it away from occupied areas.

He could disguise it as a sump pump out let and run it out to the street curb.

Perhaps research along the lines of Radon mitigation will give him some answers.

The trouble with a buried stack is going to be critter nesting and moisture collecting but it is doable..

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-05-22 at 8:30pm.