No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-06, 6:26pm
Gail

Default Bead Release

What kind of bead release do you use? Every time I use my bead presses the bead release crumbles. I use Blue Slug...Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beadsbythebay.blogspot.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-06, 6:47pm

I use bucket of mud but have heard bad things about the newer batches . I have heard good things about fosters fire so I might try that when I run out.
Anissa
Old 2006-12-07, 6:33am
used to be Moretti 4REAL!

I use bucket of mud; my newest purchase was in June and is fine. Dunno if that is considered "newer batch." It was more watery than my first Bucket of Mud. I dip and dry overnight generally.... and haven't had any issues.

A
Old 2006-12-07, 7:00am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I might got this ''newer batch'' because I hate it.
I had Fusion before and I think I'll go back with it.
My BOM is so watery that I have to dip it, wait for the extra release to drip off and put it on my ''dry stand''. If I don't do that, I'll have bead realease all the way to the end of the mandrel (and a very very thin coat). So it takes me about 3 x the time to dip mandrels.
I tried many things to get rid of this water problem by leaving the bottle open while I'm torching, shaking it to mix it like a crazy woman, mix it with what was left of my sweet and loved Fusion bead release without success.
I know it's not my supplier's fault but I don't think I'll buy BOM anytime soon.
Did I say that I hate BOM??

Old 2006-12-07, 7:04am
Satake Woman!

I'm really liking the Zippz.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-12-07, 7:04am

I use and LOVE Fosterfire's boro bead release. I used the regular and it was great but I read somewhere that boro release was just that much better so.... switched and do love it.

I was getting low once and my supplier was out.... panic... I'm getting low..... contacted Robin direct and she saved my bacon. How can I go wrong with someone who backs up her suppliers as well as she did with me this one time. Heck, I'm a nobody! Never sold a bead on ebay in my life but it didn't matter.. .

Did I mention that I LOVE Fosterfire's boro bead release????

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2006-12-07, 7:19am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I make a combo...Super Blue Sludge & Bucket O Mud.....brings out the best in each release.....little to no breaking release....as for the press issue I've found that I don't need as much pressure on the press as I was using and as a result I get less chipping of release.

Also.....don't dip more mandrels than you will use....I dip each day I torch....when it gets old and dried it breaks a lot faster.

Old 2006-12-07, 8:37am
I've got goodies!

I use Sludge Dip n Go and love it. It stands up well to abuse and predipping doesn't hurt it. I don't get to torch much, so I have mandrels that were dipped over 6 months ago. It also cleans fairly easily.

That said, I may be switching to Zippz pending further tests. I've never used a release that cleaned out more easily and thoroughly. If it can hold it's own against me during a regular torching session, then I'll never use another. (I've only used it to make a couple of simple test beads so far.)

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2006-12-07, 1:04pm
Fight glass with FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlee22 View Post
I might got this ''newer batch'' because I hate it.
I had Fusion before and I think I'll go back with it.
My BOM is so watery that I have to dip it, wait for the extra release to drip off and put it on my ''dry stand''. If I don't do that, I'll have bead realease all the way to the end of the mandrel (and a very very thin coat). So it takes me about 3 x the time to dip mandrels.
I tried many things to get rid of this water problem by leaving the bottle open while I'm torching, shaking it to mix it like a crazy woman, mix it with what was left of my sweet and loved Fusion bead release without success.
I know it's not my supplier's fault but I don't think I'll buy BOM anytime soon.
Did I say that I hate BOM??
Bring it by when you have a minute and I'll test it out to see if it gives me the same problem.

I know for a fact that many people don't dip their mandrels in BOM the proper way. If you dip it fast you get a big coating of it on the mandrel and it will run. The trick is to dip it slow when pulling out and you get a nice even coat. I'll try yours since it might be something really wrong but I've looked at the bottles here and they seem fine when I did a dip test. I can always run by your place if you want. I've had some customers with the same problem until I showed them the trick with BOM.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2006-12-08, 3:56am
the Evil One

I use a combo of foster fire and fusion! I really like how it holds but it is really easy to get the beads off!
Sandra

Old 2006-12-08, 4:12am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Alice's. LOVE it!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.