LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-07, 6:21am

Default What kind of Oxycon???

I'm so confused Can I please have some input out those darn oxygen concentrators.... what will work like tanked oxy? I have a bobcoat right now and would like to upgrade in the not too distant future. I don't need the most expensive. You guys are the best, by-the-way... I can always count on LEtc. to help me out! Thank you Shari Barry
Old 2006-12-07, 10:44am
Floral Obsessed

Hi Shari - No, they're not like tanked oxy.

Tanked oxy has a much higher volume and pressure. Some lampworkers run it at 10-15 psi. Generally, Oxy-cons run at 5-9 psi and have limited volumes of O2 - around 4.5 litres per minute at 95% purity. Now, oxy tanks are always pretty much 99% pure O2, so there's another difference.

The advantages of oxycons are safety, convenience and long-term economy. You don't have to worry about an oxy-con falling over and becoming a torpedo. (This is easily avoided with tanks by securing them with a chain, but it's something you need to be aware of!). You don't ever have to refill an oxycon (no lugging tanks) and they don't need much maintenance. And though they cost a lot more than tanks at first, you don't ever have to pay for the actual oxygen, so they generally pay for themselves over time.

If you're on tanks now, you probably won't find oxycons an "upgrade" in terms of performance. You might want to get two and connect the tubes to get a double volume (at the same pressure) if you're used to lots of O2. Tanks are still the best in terms of performance, unless you're getting into the realm of oxygen generators, which are $1000+. You can get an oxycon for $200-$600, depending on how old it is and the warranty and service package offered by the company. I'd recommend a Devilbiss Solaris; they've got 9-10psi pressure, which is higher than most oxycons, and they perform very well. Mine is VERY old and is still working! There's a sale on them at OxygenPlus in the Mall right now.

Cheers - Heather

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2006-12-07, 10:51am
PyronamixK

It depends on the torch you will be running as to whether or not you will get the same performance as tanked oxygen.

Most of the small torches out there require about 7 LPM to run at their maximum flame setting (and of course, the larger torches require more). Running a small torch with a single 5 LPM concentrator will not get the maximum flame out of that torch, but it will provide you with enough oxygen to work soft glass beads and small items. One drawback is that there could be fluctuations in the flame due to the inherent design of standard oxygen concentrators. They use two cannisters of seive material and there is a pause while the machine switches from one cannister to the other. This fluctuation can be bothersome to some. Another drawback is that you really cannot operate the torch in exactly the same way you would operate it if you were on tanked oxygen. You cannot turn your oxygen valve off at the torch (except long enough to light it). This creates back pressure in the line and can cause the machine to alarm or shut off all together. Also, and perhaps most importantly, you have to be careful to not run your concentrator over the 5 LPM mark on the flow meter (and those things are alreay tricky to read). Most of these things can be worked around. But, even with the drawbacks, many people still find that working with a 5 LPM concentrator is easier than dealing with tanks.

If you want to get the maximum flame on a small torch, or you want to be able to operate a larger torch to a certain degree, then you will need more oxygen than a single 5 LPM machine can provide. You can either yoke two 5 LPM machines or you can use a single machine with a higher output. The high output versions of the standard concentrators, like the 15 and 20 CFH units (roughly 7 and 9 LPM), can provide enough oxygen flow to power a small torch to its maximum capacity. They still produce the fluctuation in the flame that the smaller units do, so many people add an external storage tank. If the storage tank is depleted while working, the flame fluctuation will return. You still cannot turn off the oxygen at the torch while the machine is running for the same reason you cannot do so with the 5 LPM machine. And, you will still have to watch the flow meter and ensure that it does not go above the rated flow for that machine.

When you yoke two 5 LPM machines together, you can minimize the appearance of the flame fluctuation, but not completely eliminate it. Also, you will get slightly lower pressure output than a single 5 LPM and will not get a full 10 LPM. It will be close, and many people are quite happy with this arrangement. The drawback is that you now have two units. This requires twice the space as a single unit, as well as two electrical outlets. You will also have twice the noise and twice the number of things to worry about. But, if you do not mind this, and money is a concern, then this might be the right option for you. You will have plenty of oxygen to power a small torch and it sure beats the heck out of dealing with tanks.

Out of all of the concentrators I am aware of, the 10 LPM Regalia is the one that best allows you to operate your torch like you would if you were on tanked oxygen. Because it is not based on the standard two-seive technology, it produces a continuous flow of oxygen without any fluctuation - and you do not need an external storage tank. You can also turn shut off the oxygen valves on the torch without having to shut down the machine. It does not damage the machine or cause it to alarm or shut down. It has a digital control pad with a backlit LCD display. This allows you to set your flow by pressing a button and easily see what it is. And, once you set it, the flow stays constant. You do not have to worry about running the machine over its rated limit, because it cannot be set higher than that. No more watching the little bouncing ball!

I own both a Regalia and an earlier version of it. I was using the earlier version for 1 1/2 years and telling everyone how much I loved it before Paulette (Suncoast Beads) approached me about taking over her concentrator business. I really believe in this machine and the technology behind it and what it can do for our industry (lampworking) and that is why I got into the business of selling concentrators (my company is Pyronamix).

Last edited by kbinkster; 2006-12-07 at 10:55am.
Old 2006-12-08, 10:16am

We have the Devilbiss MC 44-90 on sale right now. Two of them will give you 10 LPM and about 9 PSI for under $800 including shipping and Y Connector. You get a 5 year warranty to boot!

Old 2006-12-08, 11:18pm
PyronamixK

In addition to being the sole distributor of the Regalia in the lampwork industry, I sell reconditioned 5 LPM units. I have the DeVilbiss MC series oxygen concentrator on sale right now. And it comes with a five year warranty!

If you have any questions regarding your torch set-up and what concentrator would be best suited for it, feel free to PM me. I am always happy to help.
Old 2006-12-09, 9:41am
all fired up!

Hi, I pm'd you!
Thank you, Donna

My karma ran over my dogma