Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-06, 4:39pm

Its turquoise Kristina but I am not sure if its Devardi or not. I know the red is Devardi but not sure if the turquoise isn't Effetre. I have another batch of these colors in the kiln right now (down to about 852 degrees right now lol) and I used the Devardi turquoise on those. But the Devardi turquoise really bleeds around the edges and has a tendency to swallow other colors ( I do hope that made sense!). So, I am awaiting the results and will let you know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-06, 4:40pm

And yes, only half a pound since I already have at least half a pound lol.

Old 2011-07-06, 4:55pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Sonja, and we'll know whose house to come to the next time we are in need of Froggie Green!
Old 2011-07-07, 4:09am
Millionaire in Training

Okay, so my preliminary findings on this glass...I used a dark opaque peach and a medium opaque peach and these were very nice. Melted nicely although they took a very long time. The beads look gorgeous and will post when they are annealed.

However, Honeydew was not nice. Very bad Honeydew! It's very similar in color to CIM's Dirty Martini, except that I think it was made to devitrify. Not only that, the bead broke in half in the fiber blanket! The other beads made with Devardi did not do that. I'm hoping they will anneal fine in the kiln. I know I should probably run the kiln as I'm making beads, but I don't make enough beads at one time to justify this.

I really like the Honeydew color on the rod, but while I was melting it and using a marver to help it along, it was actually cool enough that I could hear the marver tinking against it! Yet with just the slightest heat, it devitrified. I even put it further out in the flame. I did everything that was mentioned for success in working Devardi glass, and then I just said screw it, as it was already ruined and put it in higher heat and closer in to the torch head. The color seemed to burn out to the point that it looked like Moretti Green Tea. When it cooled this is the color it became.

Has anyone had a chance to work with this color? I just don't think I'm willing to spending two hours making a 1" lentil. Perhaps this color can only be used as surface decoration...sigh

Here is a picture of the devit over the whole of the bead:

Old 2011-07-07, 4:49am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle View Post

Has anyone had a chance to work with this color? I just don't think I'm willing to spending two hours making a 1" lentil. Perhaps this color can only be used as surface decoration...sigh

Here is a picture of the devit over the whole of the bead:

Poor Sweetie, I know we all have had that frustration. I will tell you that I use my bead kiln if I use my torch. The time you put in is worth the cost of running the kiln. I haven't played with that newer glass color, but I have struggled with some colors that devitrify easily. I can tell you in my experience, that its all about the heat and using tools to get done quickly if you like a fussy color, and encasing it to protect it before working it further.

What torch are you using?
Old 2011-07-07, 6:56am
Millionaire in Training

Minor. I tried again this morning. I thought, "I'll make a smaller lentil - the largest of the Zoozii's trio" - probably 18mm. And again, it devitrified. It doesn't even melt and then it's devitrifying!!! It's funny as I was reading on the Devardi site to get a bead red. Here it is:
Quote:
For best results, evenly heat your bead or project to a dark red glow immediately when you are done, especially if you are combining other types of COE 104 Glass with Devardi Glass.
This is laughable as my bead is devitrifying while it is barely flowing! I can make an initial wrap of the glass and it's fine, then anything I add on after that is subject to devitrification. If there are any bits of uneven glass laid on (which of course, there are) these are the parts that become devitrified first. They stick up above the rest and so they receive more heat. The bead isn't even melting, but it's devitrifying!! It's maddening! I've made beads with opalinos and alabastros and they take a freakin' long time, but at least they melt! This color is like the Devil! Ha ha! I just had to throw that icon in.
Old 2011-07-07, 7:00am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Minor. I tried again this morning. I thought, "I'll make a smaller lentil - the largest of the Zoozii's trio" - probably 18mm. And again, it devitrified. It doesn't even melt and then it's devitrifying!!! It's funny as I was reading on the Devardi site to get a bead red. Here it is:

This is laughable as my bead is devitrifying while it is barely flowing! I can make an initial wrap of the glass and it's fine, then anything I add on after that is subject to devitrification. If there are any bits of uneven glass laid on (which of course, there are) these are the parts that become devitrified first. They stick up above the rest and so they receive more heat. The bead isn't even melting, but it's devitrifying!! It's maddening! I've made beads with opalinos and alabastros and they take a freakin' long time, but at least they melt! This color is like the Devil! Ha ha! I just had to throw that icon in.
I know that some colors bring me misery like that too. I have found that it's a matter of finding the ones that you like and that work for you. Then you have a good thing going for a great price When I find a color that I love but can't make work I try to remember that Devardi sells to all kinds of glass users, not just Lampwork, so some that doesn't work for us works for other applications... that's small comfort but it helps with my frustration at times

Has anyone else had luck with this color?

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-07-07 at 7:32am.
Old 2011-07-07, 7:06am

No luck at all on the honeydew. I am working on a Cricket. I may try encasing it in clear and pulling stringer at some point.

Okay as far as the colors on the striped beads, its definitely not the Devardi turquoise. And its not the orange red Devardi, I am going to try the opaque red next (which is what I thought I had in my hands to begin with lol).

Old 2011-07-07, 7:30am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Okay as far as the colors on the striped beads, its definitely not the Devardi turquoise. And its not the orange red Devardi, I am going to try the opaque red next (which is what I thought I had in my hands to begin with lol).
Even if it's not a Devardi blue, it's neat to see that the Frog Green reacts like that on a turquoise.
Old 2011-07-07, 9:36am
And silence is golden

My honeydew gave me grief as well. It is one of the colors that pops into shards when introduced to the flame. I grabbed a rod of transparent glass, heated it up in the flame and then picked up the honeydew shards in the molten blob. I had no problem with devitrification, and was extremely impressed enough with the results, that I placed another 1/4 lb on my next order. My camera is not available at the moment, but when it is, I'll take some close up photos. If you go back to post #2752 in this thread, look at the 5th bead from the top, in the second row of beads in the Devardi glass group. That is my honeydew sample bead.

I would describe the bead color as a warm, pale mint green. Pretty much like honeydew! I think the clear that I used, gave it the frosty appearance. So with that said, honeydew is one of my favorites!
Old 2011-07-07, 10:01am
Live and Let Live

When I tried making a test bead with the Honeydew, the rod just exploded into frit chunks no matter how far back in the flame I tried to warm it. It wasn't a very 'fat' rod either. (I wasn't using the rod warmer at the time.) That was the end of it for me!

Old 2011-07-07, 10:04am

Lisa,
Wow, I thought it was just me! I had the EXACT same experience. Natasha was so wonderful with the first one, and I had a replacement almost immediately, but I have not contacted her about the second one because I thought it must be something I am doing.
Also, I was worried about being a hard to deal with customer. Let me know if it is ok to use, I haven't turned it on since then.
Thanks for posting this.
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
I have a question for you. Have any of you had the ceramic lining of your rod warmer CRACK?

Back story... I bought one of the 'original' rod warmers last year that Natasha and Daniel sell. (Not the newer one with the temperature controller.) The first time I plugged it in and it began heating up, I heard a 'TINK' sound. Looked at the unit and there was a chip of yellow ceramic laying in front of it and a crack in the ceramic lining of the warmer.

I shut it off, contacted Natasha and she sent me a new unit.

Fast forward to yesterday... Well, the second unit has been here all this time, but I've not used it because the first one 'scared me'. So yesterday I decided to use it to pull down some fat Devardi rods. Everything goes fine (once the smell cleared out!).

Today I do the same thing. I turn it on and load in some rods. About an hour later, I reach over to take out the last set of preheated rods, and what do I see but a CRACK in the thermal lining! Since I was done with it for the day, I turned it off.

Is it just piss poor luck that this has happened to me twice now? Has anyone else experienced this?

Once the unit had cooled down, the crack 'closed up', but it will expand again with heating. I'm not sure if it's safe to use now. (Natasha advised not to use the first cracked one, so this would be the same situation.)

I think I'd be a nut to get a 3rd one. But it really was helpful to reduce the thermal shocking.

Opinions? Experiences?
Old 2011-07-07, 10:13am

I love the honeydew! I had to preheat in my kiln to use it-but other than that I had no trouble and the color is just lovely!
Sorry some of you have had trouble with it!
Old 2011-07-07, 10:55am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrix92 View Post
Lisa,
Wow, I thought it was just me! I had the EXACT same experience. Natasha was so wonderful with the first one, and I had a replacement almost immediately, but I have not contacted her about the second one because I thought it must be something I am doing.
Also, I was worried about being a hard to deal with customer. Let me know if it is ok to use, I haven't turned it on since then.
Thanks for posting this.
Bea

Do you think the ceramic cracking is tied in with the electrical? I wouldn't think it would be... is it cracking at the front of the unit around the front lip? Maybe the cool air and the hot ceramic? Can I ask - do you have a fan or cool air blowing directly toward the unit?
Old 2011-07-07, 10:57am

I just want to say this is an AMAZING thread. I'm new to glass, only been making beads for about three weeks. I'm about to run out of glass, so I'm considering ordering from this company. It was great to see all the tips, tricks, and pics! Thank you!
Old 2011-07-07, 11:01am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laci View Post
I just want to say this is an AMAZING thread. I'm new to glass, only been making beads for about three weeks. I'm about to run out of glass, so I'm considering ordering from this company. It was great to see all the tips, tricks, and pics! Thank you!
Welcome Laci, and if you have questions please post and ask. We all try to help here
Old 2011-07-07, 11:01am
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Do you think the ceramic cracking is tied in with the electrical? I wouldn't think it would be... is it cracking at the front of the unit around the front lip? Maybe the cool air and the hot ceramic? Can I ask - do you have a fan or cool air blowing directly toward the unit?
No air blowing near the unit. The second unit I have cracked all the way through the chamber in the lower right corner, just below where the plate rests on the floor of it. (Which is why I was interested that others were using a plate without any issues.)

Old 2011-07-07, 11:02am
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrix92 View Post
Lisa,
Thanks for posting this.
Bea
Bea, I am PM'ing you about this!

Old 2011-07-07, 11:03am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
No air blowing near the unit. The second unit I have cracked all the way through the chamber in the lower right corner, just below where the plate rests on the floor of it. (Which is why I was interested that others were using a plate without any issues.)
I bought a generic one at a Beauty Supply for $35 plus shipping and I haven't had that problem. I was just wondering about air flow possibly being a problem. It would be interesting to find out what is causing the cracking.
Old 2011-07-07, 1:07pm
Millionaire in Training

Kristina, Shrimp, Sonja, Bethany and Lisa, thanks so much for your input and experiences. The one thing I'm not having issues with is thermal shocking. The honeydew did lose a couple of small pieces when I put it way in the back of the flame the very first time, but it hasn't done that since. I'm so careful when introducing rods to the flame. I'm even cautious with my Moretti. I just hate it when pieces fly. I still jump even though I've been making beads for 4 years or more!

Also, I was able to pull a very thin stringer with the honeydew. I'd hoped to pull a nice fat one, as the rods are incredibly fat, so I was really hoping to thin the rod out, however the glass just gets like warm honey and goes really thin even when I wait a few seconds!

Shrimp, I think the idea of encasing it sounds great, if I don't devitrify it by heating up the rod to add the clear! My experience with honeydew is that it's great right at the start - first wrap, then forget it! I'm thinking I need to call Natasha and tell her my experience. I can't put the rod any further back in the flame. It's not even melting! When your marver touches it and it makes that tinking sound, you know the glass is cold and yet if I put it as far out as possible but still close enough to get it to melt, it starts to get those devit spots and then it's all over. It's really ridiculous! The other colors I've used, transparent champagne, light and dark peach opaque, dark rose opaque and a salmon opaque are not having those issues at all! They behave perfectly fine!

It's just this one color (so far).

At least there is a solution for it. Thanks so much for the encasing suggestion, Shrimp!

I love this color, but not what it's doing. I'll keep you updated on encasing. Did you encase the honeydew in the bead for your project, Shrimp? (I didn't realize all the posts were numbered - that's excellent and a fantastic way to find specific parts of a thread!)
Old 2011-07-07, 6:25pm
And silence is golden

Quote:

At least there is a solution for it. Thanks so much for the encasing suggestion, Shrimp!

I love this color, but not what it's doing. I'll keep you updated on encasing. Did you encase the honeydew in the bead for your project, Shrimp? (I didn't realize all the posts were numbered - that's excellent and a fantastic way to find specific parts of a thread!)
I didn't actually encase the bead in the project beads. I just used the molten rod of clear to pick up the frit chunks and wind them on the mandrel. I get soft striations of the clear and the honeydew together. It kind of reminds me of Effetre Mimosa or Bullseye Streaky Clear/Sunshine Yellow, but only in this lovely honeydew shade. I know that I did not intentionally encase the bead. Perhaps the honeydew got encased in the process of picking up the chunks.

Just try my method with the frit and see if that doesn't help. This color has so much potential. It's a shame to see it get canned by those who have bought it. I'll buy the honeydew from anyone who doesn't like it.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:05pm
Millionaire in Training

The thing is, I'm not getting frit chunks. Only the very first time I introduced it to the flame did a couple of pieces fly off. After that, I start it way back in the flame, usually while I'm melting something else down and then I gradually bring it in closer and closer. Sometimes this can take up to 2-3 minutes!

After the color has become devitrified, it looks like Green Tea to me.

I sent Natasha a note and she has already phoned me back, but I was not available. She said she was going to test this color herself. She had not tested this one yet.

I'm amazed that some people had no problems working this color. I'm really a tenacious person and very patient (when it comes to melting glass), but when glass doesn't melt and then it's devitrifying, I don't know what else to do (other than to encase it).
Old 2011-07-08, 3:21am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:

I'm amazed that some people had no problems working this color. I'm really a tenacious person and very patient (when it comes to melting glass), but when glass doesn't melt and then it's devitrifying, I don't know what else to do (other than to encase it).
Please don't be amazed or quick to bash a color. That's one of the important points in working this glass. It has it's own requirements sometimes, and one person having a problem should not cause a color to be branded as bad.

Take Salmon for instance. Some people get beautiful results and some can't work with it.
Old 2011-07-08, 4:11am

Periwinkle..it sounds like you have done everything you can to work your honeydew..short of the encasing.It sounds like you would love to find a solution and be able to use it.Kristina mentioned Salmon.I personally love the color but I have not had any luck working with it..that doesn't mean I am bashing it..I so wish I could use it as I really love the color.
I hope Natasha can come up with another idea to work with it.I think if you were bashing the color..you would have given up already and sold it to Shrimp..lol..good luck! Once in a while I pull out my Salmon and play with it but as yet..it still does not bend to my wishes..lol..I'm glad some people can use it..its such a lovely color.
"

Old 2011-07-08, 4:36am
Millionaire in Training

Yeah, I'm not bashing it. If I were there would be a lot stronger language than what I said. Not sure how this interpretation was put on my description of what was happening. But each person has their own definition of what is bashing or merely describing something. Bashing would be saying it's a terrible color and no one should buy it, etc. Besides, if people were discouraged by just what one person said, then they're pretty easily dissuaded. I'm sorry if this is perceived as bashing, Kristina. I've just been mostly frustrated. Thanks for understanding, Diana. Bashing in my definition is much stronger than saying it isn't working for me. Sometimes a person needs to vent.

I'm going to try again, as Natasha has written me and called about trying something different. I thought I had the flame right, but she suggested a bushy flame. It's funny as I thought that would indicate more oxygen, not less. In my understanding, more oxygen equals more heat (which is why I purchased a second oxycon).

I did work with salmon as well and have not had any of the shattering problems mentioned, but then again, I introduce my rods extremely slowly into the flame. Much slower than in the video by Devardi glass. I just don't like flying glass.

I did anneal all my beads - about 6 were made with Devardi and Moretti or CIM and two of the larger lentils broke apart. I guess the lesson is to turn on the kiln, even if it costs a whole lot more for electricity in summertime. I live in Arizona and the summer rates are much higher than winter rates, as this is our prime season. Everyone is running their A/C with daily temps over 100 during June - August. However, I think I read something about putting the beads in the kiln for 30 minutes at 950 - 970. Then I could batch anneal them later on.
Old 2011-07-08, 4:36am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you for being clear periwinkle... sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying. Please don't take me wrong, I am only wanting to encourage us to leave room for others to be able to use a glass color, I do not want to throw cold water on a specific person. And periwinkle I look forward to seeing how Natasha's help works for you. She has helped me endless times and never runs out of patience.

There are colors I can't work too... but I am amazed at what others have done with them. Hope that helps clarify. For example, Salmon used to create Rose Murrini. I think it produces gorgeous roses.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-07-08 at 4:51am.
Old 2011-07-08, 4:53am

Kristina..I have admired your beautiful Salmon roses with great envy..lol..I wish you lived closer so you could show me how to work the Salmon.The reason I go back now and then is that I would dearly love to use it..so I will try again.Periwinkle..thanks for the nudge to try again..introducing the rod to the heat even slower than I think i am doing.I hear we are going to have extremely hot weather the next few days so i may not be able to torch as one of the meds I have to take makes me feel the heat worse and I start getting shaky.
"

Old 2011-07-08, 5:13am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Kristina..I have admired your beautiful Salmon roses with great envy..lol..I wish you lived closer so you could show me how to work the Salmon.The reason I go back now and then is that I would dearly love to use it..so I will try again.Periwinkle..thanks for the nudge to try again..introducing the rod to the heat even slower than I think i am doing.I hear we are going to have extremely hot weather the next few days so i may not be able to torch as one of the meds I have to take makes me feel the heat worse and I start getting shaky.

Diana, I sure wish we were closer too. And I am so sorry to hear of your meds and struggles. At some point I hope to make little free videos of anything I do that people might like to see. We will just continue to share
Old 2011-07-08, 6:11am

Kristina..that would be a great help Did you move up to your new torch yet from your HH?I was wondering if you found any difference in how the glass worked with your new torch.I was using a "similar to"HH when I started using Devardi glass and had no problems but I didn't get the Salmon until I was back in the city and using my Mini CC.Maybe I should try my HH again for that..although,Periwinkle,you aren't using a HH and not having trouble with Salmon.Sometimes I can get a wrap or 2 on the mandrel then the rod cracks off a half inch or so from the mandrel.I do use the prewarmer too.Actually..sometimes it shatters when I get it way above my flame,too.Its a mystery but I always like a good mystery.I tend to find myself with a more striking flame(less heat..more oxy)because in order to get the bushy flame,I have to have my propane flame so high I am afraid it will burn my vent system.If I use less propane and try to turn down my oxy to get a bushy flame..my oxy goes out..I play and play with the flame constantly it seems.
Aww..my health issues are indeed a pain but then I remember that saying..something like I complained about the pain in my hands and then I saw a person with no hands..I have to keep that in perspective.
Periwinkle,I too have not had much luck with batch annealing but then here at the Summer place where I am..our electric is 1/4th the cost it is in the city so I can justify making a smaller amount of beads and popping them in my kiln right away.Corrina Tettinger says in her book..Passing the Flame..that she sometimes makes her beads and a half hour after putting the last one in the kiln..simply turns her kiln off and says that is enuf to anneal them.I have done that a few times when I am torching late and afraid to go to bed with my kiln running.I have literally thrown a mediochre bead on the cement outside and they have not broken..so I believe her..lol..but when I torch early in the day i let it go thru the full cycles.Please let us know if Natasha's advice helps..I hope so...it does sound like a lovely color.
"

Old 2011-07-08, 6:23am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I am still using my HH, as hubby is working out the plumbing for the Cricket. We have had problems with propane pressure and getting the indoor gas plumbing worked out.

I always use the Rod Warmer with Devardi now, and yet still on some fussy rod colors if I forget and hold the rod above or over the flame as I wrap it will crack, etc. If I hold the rod to the side as I wrap I usually don't have that as an issue for the fussy colors.

The HH is so much cooler that I wonder how I will fare when I get my Cricket going and learn to handle it. I bet I will be moaning and groaning and asking for help when I start that learning curve!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi