Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-01, 3:16am

I have quite a few pounds of Devardi now and enjoy using it as much as any other glass. I have used it enough to know that some won't be happy with silver glass, some won't care and some will react nicely. Some colours you can't find anywhere else and the service I received from Natasha and Daniel has always been A1. In fact, the service from most of the regular suppliers on LE has always been A1, including Mike, Renee and Paula.
I don't have any axes to grind except to say the current market is difficult for everyone but that is the nature of a free economy.

There are always snipers and there are always frequent flyers in that regard who add nothing to the thread except the occasional bullet that whines past sounding like a mosquito and about as annoying.
Old 2010-01-01, 6:37am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I can only imagine how awful it was for the owners of Devardi Glass to face the hateful, mean comments from people like Yellowbird. Their agenda is to scare people away and hurt business. I'm so glad they haven't succeeded, but they have made an impact.

How about some of us taking a minute to state what we LIKE about this glass in response to the on-going meannness?
Old 2010-01-01, 7:26am

Well I have to say that the people who do drive by nastiness only hurt themselves. It makes them look small and petty and negates anything else they may have to say as a whole.

I have to say, I am still very pleased with my results with the clear on my hothead. I have been using it consistently for about a month and no scumming, no burning and I am not having any incompatibility issues.

I have also found that since this glass is a bit stiffer it makes it easier to control. It does take a tiny bit longer to melt to round but it behaves beautifully with a bead roller and a press.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-01, 7:29am

Hey Kym, loved your analogy about the bullet sounding like a mosquito, I liken Yellowbird to a troublesome hemorroid. Just about the time you think it's gone, it's back, and really irritating.

Everytime I see a post like that it makes me want to put in an order for another 20# of devardi glass. I think many people feel the same way, sometimes the negativity makes people just curious enough to try the glass in the first place. I know that's what happened to me and I'm so glad....so thank you Yellowbird and thanks to all your buddies. Because of you I placed my first order, and the rest is history.

DeAnne, thanks, I get what the sheez was all about...................Holly
Old 2010-01-01, 7:34am

sorry to hear about your hemorroids Holly
Old 2010-01-01, 7:35am

Thank you Yellowbird for turning me into a happy Devardi customer!!!!
Old 2010-01-01, 7:55am

@ DeAnne, who is JUST as disgusted with the behavior of our annoying yellowbird troll (since it never identifies itself by a REAL name, never seems to post BEADS it makes, never gives a WEBSITE where we can BUY it's beads, I have no choice but to lable it as a troll) as I am. Besides, all I can think of when I see "yellowbird" is "chicken"....yellow, fatty, plucked chicken. yellow, too scared to self-identify with a REAL name & location, just hopping in to trash on other people

Oh & when CIM started out, they didn't "advertise" much either--(heck, they still don't advertise much--they just got picked up by some major dealers & the *dealers* do the advertising)--they simply got on forums & promoted the glass, what they were trying to do with the factory, the workers & what they were trying to create....I *really* don't see a whole heck of a lot of difference with THIS glass--other than that THIS glass is being sold direct, vs. being farmed out to other dealers, and the people selling the glass don't "own the factory". It's still being sold "via forum" & "via word of mouth"--but heck, so is Lausha--I don't see huge ads (at least in the US) for "just lauscha"--those are generally VENDOR ads for a VENDOR SALE

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-01-01, 7:57am

Actually, Jo doesn't advertise her Satake much either...that's pretty much "word of mouth" as well....(damnit, i WANT some of that stuff too....someday, I'll get some!)--granted, she's not "developing" it--just the vendor for it, but if you ask about it, it's all "forum info"! (same goes for Kinari....damn, try finding info for THAT stuff! Wish we had a few thousand posts on THAT!!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-01-01, 11:38am

I have not seen the seller of this glass in here, so how this thread can be seen as NON PAID for advertising is beyond me. This is a thread for people who are using the glass.

No different than the threads about how to use Double Helix, reactive glasses, Lauscha and the many other brands of glass. AND in those threads I have seen sellers of that particular glass commenting and adding tips...soooo....!!!!!

I could add links to prove my point, but I don't think I have to as you can see it for yourself right on the first page of this forum.

Anyway enough of that snarkiness.

I have to say GREAT beads everyone and I so enjoy coming in here and looking at them and reading all the great shared information. Don't let the little "digs" get to you and keep on, keeping on.

I think you are all doing a great job! I will keep watching!
Old 2010-01-01, 12:24pm

These are made with the transparent rose and white.

And this is one of the purples encased in clear.

As you can see, no scumming, no burning no nothing on the clear. Yippee lol!

Old 2010-01-01, 12:26pm

Sorry about the dog hair lol!

Old 2010-01-01, 12:28pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

WOW - really delightful work Sonja!

And here are some of the fishie little Goldfish beads I have been playing with! The middle has a dicro core that I managed not to completely burn off! I pulled the murrini into a clamshell shape (sort-of)! Fun, fun, fun!

I love fantail goldfish, so they are a good challenge to depict!

Old 2010-01-01, 12:37pm
Remember to keep smiling

Sonja luv the rose/white even w/the dog hair....lol

Finefolly the goldfish are adorable I still learning to apply murrini I'll get their oneday

SRA#P109
Old 2010-01-01, 12:43pm

Nice gold fish! Murrini is on my list of things to work on also. I did just make some beads with the trans marine green and tie dye raku. Will post when I have pics. No problems with compatibility at all.

Old 2010-01-01, 1:10pm
one day at a time

Nice beads!

I didn't drop off the face of the earth when it comes to the Devardi glass, it's just that I have been waaayyyy too busy with Etsy to even sit down and make a Devardi spacer!

I am dying to get a break so I can have some FUN and play with my other glass, the Devardi, and some new frits that I haven't tried yet. I'm going to go and check out the Devardi glass thread I started a while back in the Gallery.
Old 2010-01-04, 9:30am

Now that the snarks have hopefully been hunted out, it might be nice to get back to some of the issues concerning the joys and challenges of working with this delightful glass

I can't find the specific post now, but someone had an excellent question about which torches are being used by people working Devardi glass and whether or not this is a factor in the success/problems they are having.

Daniel mentions in his post that in India they use propane and forced air, this is also the method most commonly used by the Japanese with their beautiful Satake and other soft glasses. In other threads, people have mentioned the differences between Minors and Lynxes and others that are all similar surface mix torches and certainly the single fuel torches differ even more. And then people have apparently been getting different results from using tanked oxygen versus using an oxycon. Once we've separated glass from torch from technique, hopefully we can come up with some more specific suggestions to help with some of the problems some new comers have been having. Sort of "If you use glass A with torch A with technique A, you can expect result A. If you use glass A with torch A with technique C, you can expect result F."

As I mentioned before, I'm currently using the Minor burner on my Major. Since my local supplier has stopped carrying bulk MAPP and I have no desire to go back to those irritating and expensive 1lb canisters, I can't say how the Hot Head works for me with Devardi, though I might just set it up again with a small can just so I can do a side-by-side comparison. I've been playing around with the different flames--a "softer" higher propane mix like Daniel suggests versus a smaller flame from turning down both the propane and oxygen--and with varying how far out in the various flames to work the glass. I've also been melting a lot of Effetre for comparison, as that's probaby still the most commonly used soft glass and the one most people can relate to (besides, I need to use it up to make room for my latest Devardi order). Between the playroom being redone, then getting sidetracked into using the kiln for fusing and then using the BE when I got back to beads, I hadn't realized how long it's been since I've worked with Effetre. I had forgotten how much variation there is between colors and how easily it burns/discolors, especially compared to the more consistent Devardi.

Which brings up the softer, increased propane flame, which is, of course, a reducing flame. While both Satake and Devardi are perfectly happy with this, there are a number of Effetre colors that get seriously annoyed with it and if you plan to mix the two glasses in the same bead, the results are not the best.

Because of this, I have been concentrating on using a smaller flame and trying to stay farther out at the end of it. I have a bad habit, especially when working on details, of bringing the bead closer and closer the longer I work on it and then starting to burn the glass. Maybe it's time for a new prescription for my glasses--that or figure out a way to grow longer arms! But, farther out in a smaller, more neutral flame seems to work the best for me.

It would be interesting to hear from others what torch, flame type and working distance they are using for the best resuts, especially those who are mixing Devardi with other 104 COE glasses. Maybe we can come up with a more detailed "User's Manual" for Devardi.

Happy beading folks!

Phoebe
Old 2010-01-04, 9:56am
GlassDocNC

Phoebe, I've used both my Cricket with Propane and tanked oxygen and a Japanese B-8 torch with propane and room air compressed with an aquarium pump. No problems with either for me as long as I take my time. I have certainly found some colors more forgiving than others and get the expected reminder if I push it too hot too fast.

Marina
Old 2010-01-04, 10:01am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by psor View Post

As I mentioned before, I'm currently using the Minor burner on my Major. Since my local supplier has stopped carrying bulk MAPP and I have no desire to go back to those irritating and expensive 1lb canisters, I can't say how the Hot Head works for me with Devardi, though I might just set it up again with a small can just so I can do a side-by-side comparison.

It would be interesting to hear from others what torch, flame type and working distance they are using for the best resuts, especially those who are mixing Devardi with other 104 COE glasses. Maybe we can come up with a more detailed "User's Manual" for Devardi.

Happy beading folks!

Phoebe

That would be great if you wanted to start a post of results and just edit to add to it.

I use a Hothead. One Devardi glass that I find I can pretty easily overwork is the lime green - until it becomes stiff and matt in finish. What is your outcome with it on a mixed torch?
Old 2010-01-04, 10:04am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I've been using a Cricket and a pair of Invacare 5 oxycons while working with Devardi. I hold the glass a bit further out from the flame than with other glass and that has worked well for me. Haven't changed my flame much... it's usually just a tad more of a reducing flame than neutral, but not much. Haven't tried it yet on my Barracuda though.

Jack

Old 2010-01-04, 6:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaglassgal View Post
and a Japanese B-8 torch with propane and room air compressed with an aquarium pump.
Marina

OMG... color me jealous!

I so want a Japanese torch. Is yours the one that stands up straight?

I love those and so practical for this type of work.
Old 2010-01-04, 7:53pm
GlassDocNC

Yep, it's the vertical one. It was my first torch so I don't know how to compare to HH's etc. I do like it, but you sure can't be in a hurry to get anything done fast. In my hands it almost always produces a somewhat reducing flame - though that may well be user error because I was trying to adjust flame for more heat or because my propane regulator isn't super easy to adjust in the 1-5 psi range.

Marina
Old 2010-01-04, 8:36pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Here's a link on how to work with the dichroic from Devardi: DICHROIC along with a few more videos on working the glass. As long as you don't place the dichroic directly in the flame, it should work. Work it like you would when scrolling stringer on your bead. With practice, you'll be able to find the "sweet spot" where the dichroic will melt, but not burn. Encase and STILL work it rather "cool" and the sparkle will glisten!

Here's the link to all of their "How To" videos
Jack

Last edited by J&M; 2010-01-04 at 8:45pm. Reason: addition
Old 2010-01-05, 1:09am

The dichro they offer is very pretty but very delicate. Seriously delicate. You do not want to be reheating the bead much at all after the dichro is on.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2010-01-05, 6:10am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
The dichro they offer is very pretty but very delicate. Seriously delicate. You do not want to be reheating the bead much at all after the dichro is on.

Cheers
Kym

Do you encase it? And if so, how do you avoid overheating it?
Old 2010-01-05, 8:39am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

You CAN encase it, you just have to work "cooler" and further out in the flame. It will take a little longer than your used to, but the colors are bright and glistening. Check out those videos... I hope they will help.

Jack

Old 2010-01-05, 10:21pm

I've worked the devardi on both a mini cc on tanked oxy (at the studio) & on a cricket on one oxycon (@ home)....wish I had more time to play!

Old 2010-01-05, 10:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Do you encase it? And if so, how do you avoid overheating it?
The one fully successful application was deeply encased, way deep. I put a thinnish layer of clear in a tube on a mandrel,wound on the dichro (its thin and easy to put on) then I covered it in light amber trans. until very deep, Then I slowly and carefully melted the outside and marvered smooth. I ended up crunching a little too. I think my encasing that day was pretty good and I didnt have to marver it much, which helped. When I melted the outside, I aimed the flame at almost 45 degrees to the bead surface....a glancing hit on the outside to try and keep the dichro as cool as possible and not reheat the centre of the bead much.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2010-01-06, 5:43am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Here are a few beads I made this week. I used Metallic Black stringers on the first two. Raking the stingers produces neat sculptural shapes and swirls. I can see a lot of future fun in this type of bead! I love the cranberry color and Adventurine (Goldstone) on the first pink one.

On the 3rd one, I encased the pink before applying the encased Adventurine (Goldstone), and it seems to have washed the surface color of pink out a bit. I used a 1" Lentil Press for it's shape.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-01-08 at 10:28am.
Old 2010-01-09, 10:56am

Phoebe, I'm using a Mag-Torch and bulk propane. I have great results working this glass, I also mix it with other brands. I preheat my rods and work it the same as anything else. I've recently started running 2 mags in-line for the honkin focals I make, and haven't had any problems. I work the glass in the same "sweet spot" as HH suggests in the directions for their torch. (when I'm paying attention)

I had to chuckle about you growing longer arms, I'm having that same problem right now too, dropping down in the flame a bit, the longer I work, the lower I go.....

Anyway, the devardi is working real well for me on the set-up I have and again, it may have something to do with working..cooler.

Kristina, nice beads!!! Holly
Old 2010-01-09, 12:24pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Nice work Kristina!!

Jack

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi