Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2011-02-17, 1:14pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Default Help Please

I bought the cricket over a year ago in the garage here.......it still sits in the box.
I have (thanks to jill knap) decided I'm going to try to do it myself instead of waiting on my dh.

FIrst problem is oxycon. I'm not sure about it. I put it on today, it beeped a few times than started doing its thing. The little ball goes up when I put it up and it blows out air.

BUT, I got it in a trade from a man on craigslist looking for stained glass stuff.....SO, I'm not really sure about it. He didn't lampwork, had no clue what it was so I showed him with my hot head.

SO, here are pics As you can see something is missing I think......perhaps a filter? Is it a nessesity?
What about the one I'm supposed to clean? is it the small one down on the bottom right?

Any other help you can offer or you can come here and help......I'd greatly appreciate it!!! LOL

A year of having the torch is just torture!!!

HELP!!!!!

Sue
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-20, 11:39am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Sue,
I do not own this particular brand but they all work on the same principle and have the same components. Your pics do not show the cabinet so I assume it is there and you removed it to show the insides? There should be a foam filter inset into one of the unit's outer panels that filters the air being drawn in by the compressor. That is the one most often referred to re cleaning. There may also be a canister filter (sometimes metal sometimes plastic) that has a hose connected to each end; this filter is usually only replaced once a year or so dependig on usage. In my opinion since these units are designed to run 24/7 for 35000 hours or so with minimum maintenance the canister filter is sort of 'lifetime' for a lampworker using one of these. Most mfg recommend changing it every year though.

You know to connect your oxy hose to the little barbed spikot above the flow meter/control and control the flow with the knob that is missing from the shaft of the flow meter. There is a white verticle tube to the left of the compressor in one pic that looks like it has foam stuffed into it; that may be the inlet air filter instead of being mounted on the case side/back.

I have no clue what the black spikot with the blue thing next to it is nor what the substance that appears to be stuffed into the blue thing is. The pic gives no clue to its use or location.

I would say that if the unit is operating and putting out good oxygen that you should be good to go. Simply hook it up and test your torch by lighting a flame. if you are able to eliminate or drastically reduce the orange propane flame to a nice blue flame with sharp candles with slightly white or reddish tips then it is operating correctly.

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-02-20 at 11:47am.
Old 2011-02-20, 12:11pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Thank you cheng, the black spikot is an intake of air. The blue thing is a piece of hose that was just stuck on. The foam filter that goes on the pannel is a mess.....can I just buy a new one? The one on their is all ripped and yuck.
Thank you for your help!
sue

Old 2011-02-20, 1:33pm
Cat herder

Found you a service manual, which might help:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Va0Ycw&cad=rja

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-02-26, 3:41pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

The foam is a common item and is almost identical to open cell craft foam. You might also try a lawn mower carburaetor (sp) air cleaner replacement foam insert
PJH
Old 2011-02-28, 5:57am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
Found you a service manual, which might help:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Va0Ycw&cad=rja
Dammit! I just pushed a 5 out to the curb a few months ago because I couldn't find a manual. Oh well!