Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-03-01, 6:14pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Default pendant loops

Hey everyone, I've got a question for you. How do you make the nice loops on a pendant? Do you wrap it around a graphite rod or something to keep the loop from closing up? I've been trying this & they just don't look the way I want them to look.

Thanks for your help!!

Vivian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-03-01, 6:32pm

Vivian.

Are you making the pendants off mandrel? When I do it, I just make a seperate bead on a mandrel, heat up the spot where you want to attach the loop to the pendant, push the little bugger on there and viola!!! Pendant loop.
Hope this helps.
Bonny
Old 2007-03-01, 7:30pm
Skeptical Optimist

Talking

Some may say it looks better when done off mandrel with a tungsten pick, but heck it saves me sooooo SOOOO much time doing the bails on mandrels like bonny said. So much easier and faster and waaaay less frustrating! I've tried both ways and I prefer to do it with mandrels. Plus with boro you can do one then by the time you're ready for the bail on your next pendant, the first one will be done and you can slide it off the mandrel and reuse that mandrel again. I do it usually 3 times if I had a good coat of release to begin with. Cheers!!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-03-01, 7:57pm

Thanks.....I'm going to try it this way!! I appreciate your help so much!!

Vivian

-

Old 2007-03-01, 8:01pm
Macaw Mamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadsbybonny View Post
Vivian.

Are you making the pendants off mandrel? When I do it, I just make a seperate bead on a mandrel, heat up the spot where you want to attach the loop to the pendant, push the little bugger on there and viola!!! Pendant loop.
Hope this helps.
Bonny
That's how I do them too

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2007-03-02, 4:47am
boro color bender

Make 100 loops on the end of a rod... one after the other, not all 100 on the tip at the same time. After you're done wityh one, melt it in and do another. You'll waste much less glass and never destroy a good pendant with a poopy loop. After you've made 100, you'll know how to do it.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-03-02, 5:06am

Mr. Smiley has it right on.....practice making them on the end of a glass rod.....over and over and over...it'll be frustrating at first and when it finally gets boring, you're set....you'll be glad you learned how down the road.
Old 2007-03-02, 7:12am

i cold seal onto what will be the bottom of my pendant, then i attach 5 mil to the top, since you have a nice straight handle this is a good time to hit the weld at the top and make sure its good and solid. then i flame cut the 5 mil to say 1/2 inch or so. i get the whole piece of 5 mil orangey and bend it back into a loop with my tweezers. this is the easiest way ive tried and they seem to look good

when you are heating the weld of the loop to the back of the pendant just use a very tiny flame, if you see the loop closing take it out of the flame and open it back up with a reamer
Old 2007-03-02, 8:44am

Default loops

i use a brass tube attatched to my rod rack with wire, i heat a wide section of rod, bring it around tube, pull off end, burn off feed rod, tight flame to fully fuse the connection point. works great for me, you can also make mandrel beads and use them still on mandrel to attatch to the top, looks nice, ive found i have to keep the bead warm though, on one of the tapes i have they seem to be let to cool but ive had them crack.
ro
Attached Images

Old 2007-03-02, 9:57am

Thanks everyone.....I'm going to try all the suggestions until I find the right one for me.

Vivian

-

Old 2007-03-02, 3:47pm

I never thought of doing them on the end of a rod. I'm going to practice that!

Thanks

Old 2007-03-02, 7:33pm
I'm too sexy for my shirt

Make 2 dots then bridge them, melt in.
Old 2007-03-04, 11:38pm

I got the vidio by Jim Smircich "Let this be a lesson to you"
I was haveing a lot of trouble with my loops till i got this vidio and now I can do almost perfect loops.
G.

Last edited by G.L.McBead; 2007-03-06 at 11:47am.
Old 2007-03-05, 8:25am

Personally I love making them right on the pendant with the reamer.
I love making offmandrel stuff without having to constantly clean out bead poopies!
Old 2007-03-05, 8:49am

Hmm, I'm a weird duck. I know that but why, oh why, do I seem to be able to do a free-handed loop on a heart but NOT on an implosion? And I'm winding up with a little sharp bit when I do a mandrel bead and attach that to an implosion. I think I'm mooshing it down too far on the bead when I attach it and I'm squishing a bit of glass too far to the sides. I need to work more on a light-handed moosh. (Don't cha just love techie glass talk?)

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2007-03-05, 12:45pm
Boro Brat

The most important thing I've found while doing loops is to pay close attention to where the heat is in the glass (loops or anything else, actually ). Always heat where you want to bend and if the loop starts to close up, heat the thickest part when you ream...NOT the thin part!! Eventually, after doing a bunch, you will be able to see exactly where you need to put the heat to get it right. I like brent's idea of using the end of a rod

Old 2007-03-05, 7:02pm
I'm too sexy for my shirt

When you are doing the loop with a bead, get the bead hot in one spot and the pendant hot in one spot, put together to meld and pull out slightly. You will have to tilt you bead in a little bit when you meld it together, perfect every time. You will still need to do a pin point flame right at the meld in front and back for a second.

Jerri
Old 2007-03-05, 8:34pm
ID10T Problem Solver

I use these:

Just put a large dot, heat, pinch with the pliers, wiggle back and forth until cooled, then spot heat the hole to remove any tool marks.

Got them off eBay for around 5.00. They are called "hose grip pliers". Harbor Freight also has as set of 3 on their website.

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2007-03-06, 8:50am
ManBearPig

I make all my loops with a tungsten poke. Then I refine the size with a small reamer.

Old 2007-03-06, 11:46am

I've used my tungsten pick to poke holes, but somehow, somewhere the tungsten has gotten something on it, and it gets the glass dirty. Whatever it is doesn't come off in the flame, and now it's pretty much useless to poke holes. rats ...

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2007-03-06, 7:49pm

You can sand your tungsten with some wet dry sandpaper to get that off. I use a little bit of 600 grit emery paper. I am guessing the color on the tungsten is kind of a yellowish?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-03-06, 8:52pm
ManBearPig

Or you can just burn it off the glass...

Old 2007-03-07, 2:32am

and I've found that those woodless pencils that you can get at art stores (buy the 4H) make great small easily handled graphite reamers for doing stuff like loops. They have a very thin plastic coating that I sand off about half way up the pencil. They sharpen with a pencil sharpener. Pretty neat.
Old 2007-03-07, 1:06pm

Eric, yeah, the stuff is a yellowish blech! I'll give the sandpaper thing a try. Thanks! Do you know what that stuff is, or what causes it???

Chad, when torching last night, I did use my pick, in spite of its grunge, and after enlarging the hole (in the body of the disk), most appears to have burned out, as you said. There is still some at the bottom, but anticipating this, I figured I'd eform the hole anyway.

Thanks for the input, guys! Y'all rock!!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2007-03-07, 9:34pm
product of the universe

I punty the bottom pull a loop on the top, ream into shape heat once more and while keeping the reamer in the hole flatten the back.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2007-03-17, 10:39am

Default share please

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.L.McBead View Post
I got the vidio by Jim Smircich "Let this be a lesson to you"
I was haveing a lot of trouble with my loops till i got this vidio and now I can do almost perfect loops.
G.
how does he suggest doing it?
ro
Old 2007-03-22, 5:49pm

Is this cheating?? !!!
Attached Images

Old 2007-03-22, 5:52pm
Skeptical Optimist

Talking

FINE you guys have guilted me into doing them off mandrel. They are better without the bead release in them...

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-03-29, 12:29am

Default one more trick

I think loops just take practice.
here is a trick i learned tho

1 put a big dot on the top of the pendant

2. take a cold 1/8 or 3/32 mandrel and put a deep dent into it

3. cap the top with another blob

4. use your pick and make the hole round
5. melt it all in nice, using the pick to keep it open

real easy way to get started