Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-19, 9:29am

Default Minor torch and a Small gas cylinder!

Hello to all,

The town that I live in does not allow propane to be piped into a residence. My only option is to use a small propane bottle. Who knew that setting up my studio would be so complicated!

I have purchased an oxygen generator and a Nortel torch. It has been suggested that we link two small canisters together to give me longer torch time.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Pat.
Old 2012-12-19, 9:50am

Hi Pat,

I am sure you will get lots of suggestions here. This is a great site to share on.

How "small" are you talking? I recently purchase two 30lb tanks for propane which I will have refilled when needed. I experimented with a bulk exchangeable tank from Lowes, but I think the gas was causing scum marks in/on my beads.

I originally started with small portable Mapp gas containers and Hot Head, but am just upgrading to a Nortel Mega Minor, with propane & oxygen; which I received yesterday. So I am in the midst of setting up as well.

I am not sure of a way to hook two smaller gas tank up.

Julie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
Old 2012-12-19, 10:32am

Hi Julie,

Thank you for your reply! I am only able to use the 16.4 oz. bottles indoors. We can only legally pipe in 2lbs. of propane into the garage and only with a permit and an inspector.

I want to keep my shop safe and within the town rules!

Thank you,
Pat.
Old 2012-12-19, 10:33am
Ooohhh! Shiny!

Do you have natural gas available that could be used? That works on a minor too.
Old 2012-12-19, 11:04am

What about erratic pressure? I have heard that the pressure is not constant?

Pat.
Old 2012-12-19, 11:21am
Gentleman of Leisure

Pressure should be constant for natural gas because regulation is at meter at your residence.... Makes no difference what supply side pressure is.... You might get a little flicker in pressure if a automatic appliance starts up (water heater or gas furnace} but it should be momentary and not a particular issue....

Also propane at 2 psi is a very viable option... Just depends where you want to locate studio.....

Got to wonder about not being able to bring propane into house...

If you decide to use 16 oz bottles you will have to use some sort of regulator to reduce pressure in canister (about 150psi) down to useable pressure...

This item is called a "Steak Saver" and costs about $20 and will allow you to connect the disposable canister to standard welding style regulator or a constant pressure regulator....

Standard welding regulator...

Constant Pressure regulator...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-12-19, 11:40am

Hi Dale,

Thank you for the great information, I will pass that on to the person setting up my canister and torch.

Question: will a Nortel Minor work with 2 lb. pressure, that is that I can legally bring into my residence.

Pat.
Old 2012-12-19, 11:56am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat110 View Post
Hello to all,

The town that I live in does not allow propane to be piped into a residence. My only option is to use a small propane bottle. Who knew that setting up my studio would be so complicated!

I have purchased an oxygen generator and a Nortel torch. It has been suggested that we link two small canisters together to give me longer torch time.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Pat.
Why not just run your hose through a window when you torch and disconnect when you're done? That's what a lot of us do.

Old 2012-12-19, 2:15pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I do this. I use a BBQ propane tank that lives outside in a little shedio my DH built for it, and I run the hose through a window.

I HAVE had a rat climb through the window one night when I was too lazy to remove the hose, but that became an epic family story which we enjoy telling people, so it all ended up for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Why not just run your hose through a window when you torch and disconnect when you're done? That's what a lot of us do.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-12-19, 2:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat110 View Post
Question: will a Nortel Minor work with 2 lb. pressure, that is that I can legally bring into my residence.

Pat.
I am not completely sure how that translates into metrics but Minors require very little propane pressure, I run 8 Minors on a BBQ type regulator (also known as pancake), which delivers 50 mbar, which I believe is much less than 2 lbs.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-19, 3:04pm
Alaska Boro

It would be interesting to compare the costs of propane in the 16 oz container vs a 20 pound grill type of tank. As a guess the cost per gallon would be many times greater when using the small containers.
Old 2015-02-20, 7:54am
The second time around...

Dale: I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping you'll see this. I have a question about the 1# propane tanks. I'm just setting up a studio in my house and thought I'd start out with those. I had a studio years ago, but am starting new. When you stop torching for the day, what is the shut off procedure? Do you just close the regulator and bleed the line. I know with 5# tanks, I closed the tank, but these little tanks don't have a valve, right? Thanks for any help you can give me.