Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-29, 8:22am

Default White anice

In going through all of my glass I found a pound of white anice. I can not for the life of me remember why I would have purchased it. Any ideas?
Old 2012-09-29, 8:31am
honorary bead lady

Because you love glass that explodes into tiny fragments when it gets close to a flame?

Last edited by houptdavid; 2012-09-29 at 5:08pm.
Old 2012-09-29, 8:47am
Otter

Did you ever take a class with Jim Smircich he has a cool way of using anice white. That is the only reason I have some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Murrini for Sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#R124
Old 2012-09-29, 8:51am

Because it has a cool reaction with intense black?

Old 2012-09-29, 8:53am
Otter

Heres a link to what Jim does with it and a mini tutorial if you go to the bottom of the first page you can see some photos pretty cool.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84692

John

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2012-09-29, 9:04am

I hate exploding glass. Have the scars to prove it!
I do not have silver for fuming-shame that bead on the wetcanvas link is cool! I do have plenty of intense black. Perhaps I shall be brave and try that today. I am making beads in anticipation of selling everything after the 8th and hope to have some beads made up for some pocket money. Christmas is coming!
Thank you!
Old 2012-09-29, 2:35pm

That is the most explosive glass I have ever used! Anyone want it for the price of shipping?
Old 2012-09-29, 4:49pm
I'm a lilac!

I'll take it off your hands if you still have it.

Old 2012-09-29, 5:09pm

Love Anice White. It is explosive if not babied. But, sure is pretty and love it's reactions.
Joan
Old 2012-09-29, 5:34pm

You can have it!
Is your addy in RAOGK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I'll take it off your hands if you still have it.
Old 2012-09-29, 5:59pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

It took me a long time to figure out how to handle anice white, but I finally got there.

I DO have an alternate use for it, though. After years of fighting with people about wearing PFDs in kayaks I know that it's a battle to get folks to take safety seriously. So when I take someone into the studio for the first time, and I put them into leather apron and didys, I KNOW they're going to get surly with me. So the first thing I do when I get the torch lit is stick a rod of Anice White into the flame, and while it's popcorning all over the studio I give them the safety lecture.

So far, it seems to be pretty effective.

L-111

Old 2012-09-29, 6:24pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
In going through all of my glass I found a pound of white anice. I can not for the life of me remember why I would have purchased it. Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Because you love glass that explodes into tiny fragments when it gets close to a flame?
Quote:
That is the most explosive glass I have ever used! Anyone want it for the price of shipping?

Old 2012-09-29, 10:02pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
You can have it!
Is your addy in RAOGK?
It is! Just let me know how much for shipping and I'll Paypal you. I've wanted to try the Smircich intense black reaction for ages, and this is just the opportunity to push me into it... hopefully I'll be able to make it work! Thank you so much!

Old 2012-09-30, 10:00am

It is packaged up. All of the pound except the 3 inches that exploded all over my work area!
Old 2012-09-30, 3:26pm
I'm a lilac!

You are so kind! If I manage to make it behave I will send you something from it.

Old 2012-10-01, 2:40pm

I love anice white - beautiful reactins with hairfine stringers of dense black, try copper green and rubino oro aso and cook istreally good, let it run, you'll get colors and webbings beyond imagination ... worth the assle of warming it forever at the very end of the flame before really heating it.

Kreszentia

My Etsy-Shop:
- selling worldwide for 5 Euros s&h flat
My Homepage:

My facebook:
Old 2012-10-01, 3:28pm

Does it pre-annealing it help it not be a weapon, or should I not waste my time?

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2012-10-01, 4:13pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I preheat mine... We've used in Larry Scott's classes with no issues at all.

Old 2012-10-01, 4:42pm

There's hope, then. Thanks!

Every couple years I try, it explodes, I scowl and put it back... Maybe I'll be brave again.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2012-10-01, 5:48pm
Debra Clutter

I got mine to do this when I was a newbie but have never been able to get it to do it again! Excuse the badly formed beads!

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2012-10-02, 2:56pm

Another vote for "I love anice white" from me. Love love love this glass. I preheat the end in my kiln when I turn it on.

Makes great FLOW BLU beads.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-10-02, 3:13pm
Loving learning

Flow Blu?
Old 2012-10-03, 12:03pm
Resident hippie

Flow blue indeed I'm curious too?
I tried the Jim Smircich trick with black and Anice. I didn't use intense black though and I didn't see it mentioned in his tut on Wet Canvas. T

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-10-05, 8:00am

Smircich teaches you to heat it with a propane flame first and then add the oxy. This works for most shocky glass.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2012-10-06 at 3:31pm.
Old 2012-10-06, 10:50am
Ad astra per aspera

The other beautiful thing about it is that it doesn't devit in murrini like regular white does.

Old 2012-10-06, 2:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Flow Blu?
If you do a search on "flow blu" or "flow blue," you will find it's that very old Willow type of China pattern from 100 years or so ago. The glazes cracked and the colors melted all over.

To make a flow blue bead, start with dark lapis blue and encase with transparent cobalt. Pull it out into a stringer, the thinner the better for this. Then make a base barrel bead (or whatever your fave shape is) out of anice white (which you preheated in your kiln to cut down on the annoying shattering) and decorate the bead with your stringer. The cobalt looks like the edges of flow blu china, while the lapis looks like the solid blue that the color should have been.

Let's see if I can find any to photograph around here.....

Found a couple. These are forever old though.

And a nice link (if it works) to some amazing pictures of flo blue china. Btw, correct spelling is FLO BLUE but it's common to spell it FLOW BLUE.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flo+...w=1280&bih=801

Sue

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2012-10-06 at 2:14pm.
Old 2012-10-06, 3:32pm

Very nice technique Sue! I wonder what other colors will do that?

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-10-06, 4:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Very nice technique Sue! I wonder what other colors will do that?
Would not be surprised... med trans green over an opaque green? Trans red over a red core?

The thing with the blue is it does represent something that people love- flo blue china.

It's not my technique. It was either here or on Wet Canvas that someone posted the formula.

Sue
Old 2012-10-07, 10:38pm

These are from forever ago, but I may have to go back and try this again. It's red copper green over anice white

Old 2012-10-13, 8:01am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
These are from forever ago, but I may have to go back and try this again. It's red copper green over anice white
So pretty! I am now in possession of the offending Anice White and was thinking about trying either red copper green or red roof tile... I know both of them do that with a Czech blue I have.